When will the NON GMO meme end. When will people stop being delusional

When will the NON GMO meme end. When will people stop being delusional.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=bt corn&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

probably never because people suck

When NON GMO bananas become trendy.

I eat Lays and Pringles every chance I get

I love GMOs

Liberals like Jill Stein still won't even agree that WIFI an vaccines are healthy, they will never embrace any sort of technology no matter how beneficial it is for society

people don't care about reality, they only care about what makes them feel like a good person. that's why we have a nazi president now. non-gmo shit is here to stay

Yes, let's all embrace patented crops. How could that possibly affect farmers?

Would you prefer the majority of the world starve?
>inb4 /pol/-tier "they're subhuman xDDD they deserve to die" non-argument

We literally do not have a choice

dairy farmer here. a smaller neighbor farm was on the verge of bankruptcy because the milk price is so low right now in the states. they made the switch to organic ~5 years ago, and now they are sitting pretty with new robotic milkers and less labor, because lefties and more and more young people will pay any price for food that has an organic sticker on it. meanwhile I grow roundup-ready corn and spray the shit out of it.

it will stay as long as people believe it's better for them (they will)

Does your neighbor laugh at hippies? I hope so.

Farmers are pretty fucking ok with it, its only 20 somethings living in Brooklyn that think that is a bad idea

Wow you guys can't be serious. Were talking about modifying DNA for crying out loud. If you believe for a second that genetically modifying food is good for humans and yields great short as well as long term effects you're fucking delusional.

Modifying DNA is the very basis of agriculture. If we were doing things the natural way we would still be hunter gatherers

fuck it, why just stop at eating vegetables and fruits with pesticides? use pesticide as condiment, put it on your steak and protein shakes

>implying amerifats aren't THAT retarded

organic food doesn't use less pesticide, it uses significantly more

thats just a marketing bullshit myth from the 'natural' food lobby

Why are europeans such Luddites?

Evolution is the natural and random modification of DNA. We're just giving it a helping hand in a favourable direction. We can make crops more resistant to disease and more likely to survive frosts with no downside, there is literally no reason not to do so. GMO isn't all about toxic chemicals that organicfags believe, it's just replacing some genes with others. Since GMO crops can be more resistant to disease and insects, they use less chemical sprays.

proof? I'd be glad to be proven wrong

>assuming I'm european

One of the primary strains of GM crops used are Bt varietals of corn and soybean. These are engineered to contain a protein from the bacteria bacillus thuringiensis which gives the crop pest resistance removing the necessity to douse the crop in pesticides repeatedly over the growing season as is done with 'organic' crops

It won't end. Food is a really easy thing to act smug about so there will always be hipsters who place themselves on a pedestal over the dumbest shit.

My question stands regardless of where you are from
also its a pretty solid assumption based on the demographics of this board an the ignorance displayed in your comment

>no sources

ok

google.com/search?q=bt corn&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

>Luddites

Because I don't really approve of mass consumption, mass production and over-eating fat fucks, especially when it affects the world and it keeps getting progressively worse

Farming family here

The only shitty part is that we can't use seed potatoes from one harvest to plant the next unless the company that provided the initial seed says we can

bless you sir, roundup ready subsidized GMO corn is a huge success and an essential part of any American Hero's diet.

3 liters of high octane HFCS for $1.00 is the fuel that will propel America to be great again.

People will never stop being retarded.

Probably right around the time we start suffering from food shortages here in the States.

>organic uses more pesticide

Wrong. Pyrethrins, a nonspecific pesticide are permitted, but only used in cases of severe infestation, which are rare due to other methods like crop rotation, netting, insecticidal soaps, specific bacterial agents like BTK targeting leaf eating soft bodied pests, encouraging predator bugs, etc.

The use of pyrethrins defeats the purpose of other control methods by killing everything and is also expensive. Furthermore, chemical fertilizers and herbicides are not used at all.
Roundup and other herbicides along with the residue from chemical fertilizers negatively impacts the environment and humans through contamination of ground water.

GMO's also spread to other non-GMO crops. Recently, the case involving rice farmers losing the ability to export non-GMO rice due to crosspollination was settled in the farmers favor for 750 million dollars.

Europe recognizes the fact that individuals take precedence over corporations. The US does the opposite.

Maybe when we have most biotech companies making some awesome GMO stuff that isn't in and of itself controversial, getting the government to let them sell it en mass without proper testing or informing the public about it, and having all sorts of other shitty business practices and just being fuckwads at large.

The chemical and agriculture industries paid big money to our "representatives" to be sure they didn't have to identify products as containing GMO products. They were scared to have people be informed about it. Guess who won? The people? I don't think so. Nowadays information is bad. It's what idea gets spread thru the net the fastest, that's good. Witness the misinformation in this thread.

GM crops are objectively good for the environment long term. They will allow more food to be grow on less land

organic farmers use Bt toxin, the exact same protein engineered in pest resistant crops, only farmers must repeatedly apply it in much higher concentrations as most of it washes off

There is no evidence that glyphosate in ground water or on crops has ever harmed a human, the LD50 is extremely low, it only really has potential to effect the farmer and only if basic PPE isn't used

Nigga what
There is zero evidence to suggest that altering genes directly in a lab is any different than altering genes wholesale through traditional breeding methods

>Europe recognizes the fact that individuals take precedence over corporations. The US does the opposite.
This is real fucking bullshit. The EU just panders to anti-science fearmongering and economic protectionism, it has absolutely nothing to do with their attitude toward individual vs corporation, in general America is a much more individualistic place

There is absolutely no scientific basis to any european laws banning GM crops, its straight up Jill Stein tier pandering to people who don't know shit about chemistry or biology, the same people are literally considering banning WIFI from school because scary technology and feelings

Looks like someone's getting laid in college. Careful with the freshmen though, wouldn't want to get hymen blood on your Che Guevara bedsheets.

pic is never related

Not a toxin, moron. A bacteria specific to certain species, unlike non-specific pesticides used on GMO and non-GMO conventional crops.

I'm don't have much knowledge in organic farming processes, but I do know that bt toxin is only effective against certain species of caterpillars. Are any other pesticides used in organic farming.

Bullshit. A simple google search reveals numerous studies demonstrating toxicity in animals, one as recently as 2014 that indicates carcinogenic agency in humans at low level exposure. Here have a glass of glycophosphate to quench your thirst, idiot.

Look, just because you say something to push a corporate agenda, doesn't make it real.

European countries, in fact almost all first world countries except the US, examine independent research, not just corporate shill research. Witness the permitted use of the growth hormone (bST) in dairy cows in the US and banned in every first world country and even fucking mexico. That's another one the dairy lobbyists paid big money to keep from being identified.

No one can dispute the evidence of bST being a carcinogen, idiot. Bottomline: US corporate freedom to kill you and the environment takes precedence over your right to health and happiness

Bt toxin is the natural protein made by bacillus thuringiensis for which the gene is inserted into crops. Notably not toxic to mammals

any chemical has toxicity at certain dosages, there has never been a study that shows any impact on human health for any concentration remotely relevant to what would be consumed eating agricultural products. There are literally thousands of chemicals in any natural product that are toxic at high concentrations, even most chemicals that are good for you at specific concentrations (like vitamins) are toxic at not even that high concentration

Bt is a toxin.

To assert that European policies on Gm crops are based in any way on science is absurd.
There is literally no research from a reputable source suggesting GM crops are bad for human health, but even if there were, rest assured that Euro lawmakers are not examining the research, these policies are based on uneducated public opinion and economic protectionism (look for many of these laws to change in the coming years now that Monsanto was bought by a German company)

Is there any evidence at all that bST use in cattle could possibly have negative effects on humans eating their byproducts?

Yes. Virtually all independent research indicates milk from dairy treated with bST is carcinogenic. Google it.

>when will people stop being delusional

when the entire left is eradicated

hah, sure, i'll take your word for it

No, there fucking isn't
Is your goal just to literally make shit up and hope someone will read it and take it as fact

Can you give me some examples of these controversial GMO stuff you are talking about. I haven't though of anyone making a GMO for a reason other than to increase crop yield and crop resistance so i'm curious.

Yes because dismantling regulations and letting for-profit groups do as they please is totally rationale. 2008 prove this.

The idea that GMO development is not already extremely regulated in America is absurd

>2008 was because of too little regulation
Paul Krugman, please stop; let Keynesianism die

>American freedom

Google, imbecile, google. Knowledge is everyone's friend but yours.

You don't know what you are talking about.

Roundup Ready crops have significantly increased the amount of glyphosate residue in foods. Glyphosate inhibits the shikimic acid pathway, which is impacts not only plants but also bacteria, fungi, and other microorganisms.

Bacteria are incredibly important to human health as components of the gut microbiome. Recent studies have shown shifts in gut bacteria populations due to varying glyphosate susceptibility/resistance.

Think the modulation of the gut microbiome by increased glyphosate exposure was tested or even conceived when Roundup Ready crops were given the okay?

I'm not against current GMO crops on the market, but you are naive and as uninformed as the anti-GMO crowd if you think "it's safe because it's on the market and the government/private sector wouldn't allow it if it wasn't".

That's the one thing every scientist except for industry shills agree on: it needs more independent testing and analysis as well as tighter regulatory oversight.

Sadly, in the US where corporate interests take precedence over individual well-being, that's unlikely to happen. Fortunately, other first world countries take a different view and the pressure from producers to be able to export produce to other countries might result in meaningful oversight.

>Oh look! Here's an industry propaganda "fact" sheet! Cool!

Where's the one from the tobacco industry that said cigarettes don't cause cancer?

There is literally no incentive for most (independent) scientists to work on the safety of GMOs, among other things. Few funding agencies are going to support this research and research conducted by industry is going to be suppressed if it isn't positive.

Just a fact of life. Research isn't as objective as everyone believes and researchers have to go where the money is in many cases.

>Oh look! Here's an industry propaganda "fact" sheet! Cool!
...so you didn't actually read what he posted.

I googled it, literally fucking nothing supporting your claim

this is entirely made up, where did this shit come from?

There is a source at the bottom you fucking mork.

You're a fucking liar. And as soon as anyone googles it they'll know that.

What's your skin in the game? Surely the american dairy industry and manufacturers of bST haven't resorted to paying people to shill Veeky Forums? Or maybe they have.

You cannot trust shit from the 'organic' food lobby, they are just trying to sell you shit through fearmongering
Every fucking time I go to Whole Foods I get mad (but Whole Foods is the closest store to me so I go anyways)

Pesticide residues on produce are minimal, tho....
Pesticides on the planet are something about which you should worry, though. Thank god we have technology to make plants resistant to pests!

Amen. 'Organic' doesn't mean pesticide-free, it means they don't use CERTAIN pesticides. A lot of the ones they use aren't on 'the list' because they're outdated and actually more toxic.

'Organic' is just marketing bullshit to get consumers to pay twice as much for lower quality horticultural commodities. It's absolute genius.

Sadly the individuals make up AND feed the corporations, and if they die due to lack of food, we have nothing.

Why don't they deserve to die? They wouldn't help us

>inb4 "XDDDDDD REPLY THAT DISAGREES WITH ME XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD"

>Would you prefer the majority of the world starve?
Do you really think the world needs more Africans?

I don't mean this in an edgy or racist manner, but you are advocating for the survival and proliferation of people who are uneducated, have too many children even under adverse conditions, are often adherents to backwards religions and/or belief systems, and live in regions that simply cannot sustain current populations (let alone increased populations) due to ecological and/or socio-political issues.

Even with disease, starvation, and war, the population of Africa has increased dramatically in the last 50 years. Encouraging further population growth by increasing their food security is simply not responsible.

It's funny that I know so many people (invariably white and educated) who are in their 30s and delay having children because of "overpopulation concerns". They will end up having 0-1 children and the result will be we have to rely on immigrants to sustain our population or we will simply decline. Meanwhile, populations of uneducated, homophobic, misogynistic, superstitious, violent peoples without regard for environment or human rights will skyrocket.

Makes sense. Yes, we definitely need GMOs to save our starving brethren.

I don't disagree with a lot of your post, but the reality is, Europe has anti-GMO legislation as a protectionist policy against North American trade that would obliterate their domestic grain and crop production. It's under the guise of public safety, that's all.

Same with their mycotoxin regulations.

This has more to do with the legal/commercial size of GMOs. It has nothing to do with the science behind it. Take it up with the supreme court or monsanto, but don't deprive brown people of their virus resistant eggplants

The EU is capable of making decisions based on financial interests too. Their agriculture industry would take a big hit if they opened the gates to GM crops.

Some people would say food security is a human right that we should strive for.

When did Veeky Forums become so eager to lick corporate and rule of law shill boots?

It would be great for their farmers, but not so great for their seed selling corporations who have much more legislative sway

Accepting basic scientific advancement doesn't make you a """"corporate shill""", the ones fighting against it are the ones if the organic lobby's pocket

This is like calling people who want to teach evolution in schools instead of creationism "Darwin shill's" its meaningless and just fucking dumb, this shit is factually correct and isn't even up for debate amongst educated people anymore, the science has been settled for years

We should also respect the sovereignty and destinies of peoples. America has gotten enough shit for trying to help other countries, why bother feeding the troops or future fanaticals in extremist countries?

Let them find their own path and their own future. Providing them with all the potential "solutions" will only prevent their own growth and stifle their potential.

Also, human rights are political in nature and not inherent. No one has the inherent right to not be hungry.

The lobby you're speaking of wants labels. Why did you make such a huge leap?

>The lobby you're speaking of wants labels.
They want to put big scary labels on things specifically to trick people into thinking there is something wrong with them, thats the assumption people are trained to make when they see warning labels. Its rather absurd to include such labels when there is no qualitative difference between the product, the method by which the cultivar was originally developed has absolutely no bearing on human health

and its disingenuous to act like this is simply about labels, they are spending a lot of fucking money and time to trick people into thinking 'organic' or 'natural' food is healthy and GM food is bad well beyond the label issue when there is no scientific basis for such claims and they know it, they are striaght up trying to trick you into paying more for lower quality food that is worse for the environment

Your argument is valid. I'm simply saying some people wouldn't mind feeding future fanaticals if it meant they could also feed future taxi drivers and bakers. And whether something is inherent or not doesn't mean it shouldn't be something we strive for

>They want to put big scary labels on things specifically to trick people into thinking there is something wrong with them
Retard

please elaborate

Same fear mongering that wanted to deter country of origin labels that are now an eighth inch of space on a quarter inch sticker that gets thoughtlessly peeled off, and only if it's a fruit with removable skin, unless it's a vegetable where it's an afterthought on the sign on the shelf

Country of origin markings are just nationalistic and racist fearmomgering, but even those have more relevance to the quality of the product than GM labels would.

You have to admit that the only motive behind requiring the labels is to convince regular people that that that is a fact worth knowing when it objectively is not meaningful to human health. They are straight up just trying to trick us into think GMs are bad, they even admit this

If people want labeling to help determine their purchasing decisions, you'd have to be a serious faggot to actively fight against it. Unless clueless consumers is what you really want out of a free market

Expect you very well know these laws are not about the people that want to know. Its about turning the opinion of the people who are not educated or do not give a shit. The organic lobby knows the already have the people who currently care in their pocket

Still, this law is absurd, its like me saying I want a law that labels all crops with the percent of phosphorus in the soil it was grown in, or a warning if it were over some arbitrary threshold. Its just not meaningful information from a scientific standpoint, and only misinformed people would care about such statistics while the label serves to create even more misinformed people

I do think its reasonable that companies should offer the specific cultivar of crop used on their website or something, but an arbitrary catchall label for GM crops is meaningless and counter productive for human progress
> Unless clueless consumers is what you really want out of a free market
Big Organic spreading misinformation as you are advocating very closely works in hand with that which you wish to avoid, people that think they know but are just wrong are even more problematic than people who just do not know

>Its just not meaningful information from a scientific standpoint
That's not the only point of labeling.

If people demand information, they should be given it. It isn't the state or corporate interests right to censor labels.

Might as well advocate for no labels stating "Made in China" because that can deter consumers.

>human progress
The biggest consumer of GMO foods is also the fattest and most wasteful country.

>If people demand information, they should be given it. It isn't the state or corporate interests right to censor labels
This isn't about censorship. If a company wants to label it they are free to do so

Except that despite the countless dollars spent on marketing trying to convince people labels are useful or necessary, people still don't want them because most are educated enough to know that knowing whether something is GM or not is not meaningful information. The people calling for these labels are the small minority, the Jill Stein tier liberals. The same ones saying vaccines cause autism and WIFI harms children's' growth, and Bush did 9/11, and MSG and gluten are bad. Its an absurd conspiracy theory and anyone pushing ti should feel bad

>Bush did 9/11
yes goy it was Bush...

Not him, but Monsanto invented that arctic apple a few years ago.

It doesn't brown after you cut it like a normal apple does. That's about when fast food places started offering sliced apples in their meals. They use the GMO apples, because otherwise they'd have to throw away a bunch of apples that have browned, or only cut them when somebody orders them, etc.

The apples still go bad, they just don't turn brown to show they are going bad.

Do you know what a source is?

There is no source listed on this image.
oo, also those GMO pineapple/strawberry cross breeds are amazing.

When more foods are go to enhance nutrition and taste instead of just yield.

I think a big problem is that the people who disagree with the legal/legislative/corporate policies surrounding GMOs need to distance themselves from the people who disagree with the science of GMOs.

There's nothing inherently wrong with genetic modification, and people that dispute this are idiots and/or luddites.
That said, the companies that govern it, such as Monsanto, can be dicks. There's room for improvement in that area.