Have you people been part of school that rely their education almost entirely on memorization and recalling that...

Have you people been part of school that rely their education almost entirely on memorization and recalling that memorized information, instead of finding logical patterns and actually making you smarter?

Most of you have for sure bullshitted through physic and math exams by memorizing equations without actually knowing rat's ass about the topic, and others, like chemistry, history etc.

Should we end this cycle of ignorance, computers are for memorization mostly, shouldn't we be made to learn how to think like a creator of computers?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_theorem_proving
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah, I did that for PDEs, we used Strauss' textbook and it sucks ass, my lecturer was great but it wasn't enough. I 3.5'd without really knowing anything. Revisiting the subject now and it's becoming clearer since I learned more analysis. Generally I avoid it unless it's a special case.

Philosophy is already considered a useless meme subject, trying to introduce something like logic classes would be considered a joke and since schools are literally labor training facilities for our corporate overlords it would never be approved.

>math exams by memorizing equations

Nigga what? See pic related. It was a problem in the last exam I took. Let me see you try to plug and chug your way out of that one.

You have to prove that
[math]\frac{BD}{CD} = \frac{BA}{CA}[/math]

The only hypothesis you have is that the ray AD bisects the angle A and that the point D is in the segment BC. Also the line CE is parallel to the line AD

Give it a try. Apply in your 'formulas' and then please staple a paper to your forehead that reads 'retard' after you accept you can't do it.

Schools favor memorization-based approaches, because otherwise half of the students (the dumb ones) wouldn't pass the tests. And of course most of the school subjects (language, history, geography etc.) are such that memorization is the only way to learn them, because it's hard to "logically deduce" what the capital of Iceland is for example.

Pic here.

Oops everything came to the same line.

[math]BD/CD=BA/CA\\
BD/CD∗CA=BA\\
BD∗CA=BA∗CD\\
ABCD=ABCD[/math]

Wrong

Please see In the equation 'BD' means the length from B to D or the length of the line segment BD.

Logic classes, why not?

That's why smart people are smart, they find solutions to problems others don't using their brains, you can teach that too.
Usually by encouraging people doing errors, and making sure they know the best possible ways to act in different situations.

Can you just use a ruler, measure to find out if the equations is wrong or right?

Why would even anyone claim an equation like that before measuring that thing first.

Are you trolling? I feel like you are not.

If you measure that picture it will probably be off because things don't really need to be to scale. The point is that from that construction (the triangles aligned in that way) you can logically deduce that relationship.

I would be surprised if anyone here could do it (this is nothing facy though, just euclidean geometry). In the test it took me a whole page and 45 minutes to do a proof and when the test was given back to me the alternative proof the professor had done was half a page long.

If you are honest about trying you need to use:
>Similar triangles
>Parallelism of lines and segments
>Theorems of isosceles triangles

and some clever tricks. You actually have to do very little algebraic manipulation of terms. You first should focus on getting a relationship that kinda looks like what you want to prove and then do a couple of tricks so that it becomes what you want to prove.

Other than that, you really can't prove it directly so I would recommend first proving everything you can prove about those triangles and line segments and make a list of what you know before you even attempt to prove the actual statement.

No seriously I'm not trolling, we solve those kind of picture by measuring them or creating a physical model out of them, so we don't have to waste our time with tricks like that.

Not saying we can't do those tricks, but just to save time.

We engineer usually focus on applied math, that problem is to us a problem from reality, someone created for us to solve, ofc we can measure it, we love to measure shit.

Wrong

BD means B * D, you're talking about |BD|

Well, that's the issue. This geometry course is exclusive for math majors. No one other than math majors take this geometry.

The idea is that you could take this picture and enlarge it and the relation would still hold. Even if you change some lengths it would still work as long as your change does not affect the given hypothesis.

In other words, we are proving that this relation always works so you don't have to check it, just apply it in the future.

What is interesting is that this pure course is a pre-requisite for a senior course called 'Applied methods for physics and engineering ' so apparently you need to know these kinds of things before you work in tough applied problems of physics and engineering.

Anyways, the point is that OP was saying that in math you memorize equations and I truly take offense in that because when I tell people that I study mathematics the first thing they think about my education is that I use calculators and do graphs all day when that is pretty much the opposite of what we do here.

I haven't seen numbers in months.

In the notation introduced by this course BD alone means the length of BD.

>'Applied methods for physics and engineering ' so apparently you need to know these kinds of things before you work in tough applied problems of physics and engineering.

Yea.. kinda it helps, but calculators and machines and lasers do all the work for us basically these days, these topics just kinda faint over time when you enter a job you are so freaking over qualified for.

>haven't seen numbers in months.

Must be great to enter the home after that month lasting war and see the numbers again.

But hey! That information is useful to be a be able to solve triangles, but let's cut the crap and not re-prove already proven things, that is fun, but fun is usually just a hobby, if it floats your boat, great.

> I tell people that I study mathematics the first thing they think about my education is that I use calculators and do graphs all day when that is pretty much the opposite of what we do here.

that's so true, so true people make stereotypical, over generalised assumptions of things they have little knowledge of, it's understandable, you are not surprised of that.

OP is massively autistic. Abandon thread.

Sersiously how can you prove that equation to be false or correct if there are absolutely no numbers involved?

How do I even know that is a triangle, meaning that, it could look like a triangle, but could be like 185 degrees?

If I am massively autistic, you'd want to be massively autistic too.

>Sersiously how can you prove that equation to be false or correct if there are absolutely no numbers involved?

A triangle is determined by any 3 non-collinear so you know that BAD define a triangle, ADC defines a triangle and AEC defines the third triangle.

What you need to know is that there is technically a number involved.

You know that the line AD bisects the angle A and in the picture you see the two 'm's reflecting this. Meaning that you have that number m and actually the proof is very involved with that number.

You have to show where else that m shows up.

Anyways, about how you can prove the equation. There are things called similar triangles and the thing is that when two triangles are similar, the lengths of their sides are related.

Suppose you have a triangle with sides of length A,B, C and another one with lengths X,Y,Z

If these two triangles are similar then you get the relation

A/X = B/Y = C/Z

These are all theorems you find if you read any geometry textbook.

Oh hey thanks for clarifying. I kinda miss these school days trying to comprehend exactly what you are just doing there.

So also theoretically, could we create instructions how to solve any triangle anywhere, so you could basically just memorize step by step what you have to do to solve all these questions?

>miss these school days

This was a university problem.

>could we create instructions how to solve any triangle anywhere, so you could basically just memorize step by step what you have to do to solve all these questions?

People have done it. The thing is that Euclidean Geometry is formal, rigorous and axiomatic which means that every proposition is connected by a logical statement.

There have been computer programs that take a system of axioms and then automatically prove anything that can be proven.

Read:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_theorem_proving

> This was a university problem.
Yea, I'm in working life, surprise.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_theorem_proving

oh, so OP that you can just memorize everything in math applies even in this, does that mean that?

>oh, so OP that you can just memorize everything in math applies even in this, does that mean that?

Memorizing axioms and the rules of propositional logic is nothing compared to memorizing a formula.

You can even see this in the computers that mimick our process by automating proofs. This can be done by simply programming a single function (in the context of programming) that takes in the parameters and spits out the answer.

When a computer uses a formula it is simple, it literally just plugs in the numbers. A computer program that proves stuff is a very complicated system that is made of many different functions working together in a huge program.

my ICT lessons only taught you the subject once in such a vague way that only A+ people would understand and then expect us to remember exactly what we were taught the next lesson and beyond.

>Memorizing axioms and the rules of propositional logic is nothing compared to memorizing a formula

Now that is true, and the whole memorization concept is just wrong when it comes to schools, so let's just forget that all together.. Remember something if you really have to :P

But one thing I hope you will have in your future is to actually find yourself in situations where you actually need all these skills you've learned.
We others just learn to use these complicated programs as tools, but no way we unlike you can we create and understand these programs that easily without taking time first.

Survive, mate, you are not alone.

Once can't figure out anything else to do, let's create a private school system that actually works.

is the point A on the segment BE ?