Semicolons

Should I use semicolons in my writing; or does it look autistic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=th-zyfvwDdI
theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I always use them. Read Jane (;) Austen to a lesson on semicolons.

Given your competence at using them, no, you shouldn't ever use semicolons

>shouldn't ever

You shouldn't use commas.

You need to learn the purpose of a semi colon. Like it or not it's a contentious punctuation, and so you'll be scrutinized heavily for its use.

The anti-semi colon "movement" is a meme perpetuated by Vonnegut and his fanboys.

>Vonnegut and his fanboys
Reddit

can't upvote this enough desu

Someone post an example where it's correctly used.

>There were three dogs: Frankie, a German shepherd; Douglas, a Yorkie; and Wilson, a subdued Pomeranian.

Or

>Bill ran out to the play set; John ran to the swings.

Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
She was the youngest of the two daughters of a most affectionate, indulgent father; and had, in consequence of her sister's marriage, been mistress of his house from a very early period. Her mother had died too long ago for her to have more than an indistinct remembrance of her caresses; and her place had been supplied by an excellent woman as governess, who had fallen little short of a mother in affection.
Sixteen years had Miss Taylor been in Mr. Woodhouse's family, less as a governess than a friend, very fond of both daughters, but particularly of Emma. Between them it was more the intimacy of sisters. Even before Miss Taylor had ceased to hold the nominal office of governess, the mildness of her temper had hardly allowed her to impose any restraint; and the shadow of authority being now long passed away, they had been living together as friend and friend very mutually attached, and Emma doing just what she liked; highly esteeming Miss Taylor's judgment, but directed chiefly by her own.
The real evils, indeed, of Emma's situation were the power of having rather too much her own way, and a disposition to think a little too well of herself; these were the disadvantages which threatened alloy to her many enjoyments. The danger, however, was at present so unperceived, that they did not by any means rank as misfortunes with her.
Sorrow came—a gentle sorrow—but not at all in the shape of any disagreeable consciousness.—Miss Taylor married. It was Miss Taylor's loss which first brought grief. It was on the wedding-day of this beloved friend that Emma first sat in mournful thought of any continuance. The wedding over, and the bride-people gone, her father and herself were left to dine together, with no prospect of a third to cheer a long evening. Her father composed himself to sleep after dinner, as usual, and she had then only to sit and think of what she had lost.

Love your semicolons

youtube.com/watch?v=th-zyfvwDdI

2:40
"Secondly, you'll almost never find a semicolon willingly stationed before coordinating conjunctions: the words 'and', 'but,' 'for,' 'or,' 'so' and 'yet.' That's a comma's place in fact"

>he best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly
Austen you illiterate fuck.

>A regular course of study and exercise was judiciously instituted; of the military exercises of riding and shooting with the bow; of the liberal studies of grammar, rhetoric, and philosophy; the most skillful masters of the East ambitiously solicited the attention of their royal pupil; and several noble youths were introduced into the palace, to animate his diligence by the emulation of friendship.

How many punctuation "rules" did based Gibbon break just in this sentence alone?

You should, but only if you know how; your example is flawed.

>semicolon and a conjunction
At least use it right you fgt

>semicolons worked the same in the 18th Century as they do now

oh the irony

it should be

>Given your competence at using them; no you shouldn't ever use semicolons

>21st century English is more correct than 18th century English

None desu, this is lost format semi colon usage, possibly the most standard usage.

List format*

Fuck me

Your own semicolon placement is wrong in a way too similar to OP's for it to be a coincidence...

jesus christ, she uses it with "'and" nearly every single time. I guess it was a different era, but man does that trigger me.

Read again, he doesn't only use it make lists, he also uses it to separate clauses; in one instance to mark off what today would be changed into an independent sentence, and in another instance what would today be a splice.

> language is static

This pleb.

8; out of 8

This, nothing rustles my jimmies more than plebs who can't into conventions.

Breaking conventions should only be a (key phrase) "stylistic choice" once a writer has established that he or she can implement proper usage of the rules. Otherwise, the writing just shit-vomit from worthless baboons.

Honestly, anyone who doesn't understand basic grammar with no desire to learn should go back to wankin' it instead of trying to write.

What are some resources for improving one's grammar?

lrn2google

theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon

you mean Jane Eyre, I hope. Otherwise, you're a shitbird.

A semicolon connects independent clauses; they work best where conjunctions feel awkward.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but that does strike me as an inherently liberal use of the mark; less so as shown here.

To oversimplify, I had always been taught that it should lie further than an implied 'and', but sooner than a full stop; a transitional side comment, still pertinent to the contents of the statement afore it.

Also when executing an anacoluthon; I wouldn't like to tread on anybody's toes with this jarring transition.