The moon is a planet. Despite what bs definition the iau makes, that giant ass world there is a planet...

The moon is a planet. Despite what bs definition the iau makes, that giant ass world there is a planet. If it orbited the sun directly it would be another planet called Luna.

Something as small as the moon would eventually trail another planet or a giant like jupiter and faill into their orbital range and start orbiting them instead.

You and your shitty moon has no chance.

>>Something as small as the moon
>nearly the size of mercury

Anything with hydrostatic equilibrium I call a planet (except a star)

Your mom's a planet.

this seems acceptable honestly

Yes, and...?

There are four moons in the Solar system larger than the Moon

This.

If the object hasnt been rounded under its own gravity, we will call that an asteroid.

Aside ignoring orbital mechanics.

Thankfully astronomy is not dictated by your feels.

Why would you call it Luna?

The IAU is going to be forced to redefine planet soon anyway.

Right now we have .... 'Brown Dwarf' stars the mass of Jupiter that are only called 'stars' because they orbit nothing.

That's pretty embarrassing.

Why not name bodies according to if and how they interact with other bodies? Among other properties.

How small can stars get?

Are we going to be finding """stars""" the size of punch buggies?

Your solar system has around ~20 planets then.

I'm perfectly ok with that.

We should have 3 types of planets. Regular planets that orbit a star, Satellite planets that orbit other planets, and Rogue planets that orbit nothing.

If a brown dwarf like that would orbit the sun, would it be the same as a gas giant?

eg PZ Telescopii

Your mum's in hydrostatic equilibrium

I wouldn't quiet call Terra and Luna a binary planet system.

The barycenter is still inside the Earth.

While Pluto and Charon could be considered a binary. Since the barycenter is outside Pluto.

Anyone else annoyed to see all those other moons listed with their real name while ours just says "moon" instead of luna?

should say "the moon"

actually I'm annoyed at your post.
they're natural satellites. our's is called the moon.

>planets must orbit a star
>the barycenter of the Jupiter-Sun system lies outside the Sun
>therefore Jupiter does not orbit the Sun
>therefore Jupiter is not a planet

Astrologers BTFO

What about rogue planets?

>punch buggie
kek

He's one of those retards who thinks Latin names for things are the "real names"

That's not true in the least, rogue planets are definitely a well-known thing.

they REALLY fucked up that scale to make Ganymede almost the same size as Mars

I understand what you're trying to say OP. The whole thing is not even semantics but just sheer definition. One is a "planet" because it behaves as whatever a "planet" is considered to behave and the other is a "moon" because it behaves as whatever a "moon" is considered to behave.

the only difference between a "planet" and a "moon" is what they orbit, so to say that they behave any differently is kind of silly

Wrong.

A planet is an astronomical object orbiting a star or stellar remnant that

is massive enough to be rounded by its own gravity,
is not massive enough to cause thermonuclear fusion, and
has cleared its neighbouring region of planetesimals.[a][1][2]

A natural satellite or moon is a celestial body that orbits another celestial body of greater mass (e.g. a planet, star, or dwarf planet), called its primary.[1][2] For example, the Moon is a natural satellite of Earth, and Earth is a natural satellite of the Sun.

"Behave" fits quite well.

>They have completely different orbits but they don't behave differently
K

>asteroids are planets

Okay, retard.

its nearly as big though

but the scale in the first image is still way off, your image is much more accurate

>literally copypasting wikipedia
>dont even bother to remove notations

I'm okay with this idea.
Let's just define planets as non-stellar bodies that have been rounded by their own gravity. Anything that hasn't been rounded is an asteroid. Planets come in three categories: primary, secondary, and rogue. Primary planets orbit a star, secondary planets orbit bodies other than stars, rogue planets just drift through space (inb4 but rogues are orbiting the galactic centre).

>If it orbited the sun directly it would be another planet called Luna.

If I was elected president then I'd be the president.

By your logic I'm the fucking president.

This makes no fucking sense you retard
If the Moon was directly orbiting the sun we wouldn't call it Planet Moon
It would be Luna or Selene perhaps, it would have an actual name, much like if we were in a different star system you wouldn't refer to Earth's star as "the sun" it would be called Sol or something to differentiate.

but the moon is a spaceship user

One of your other mom raiders got this thread already, kid.

thought this said babycenter for a strange few minutes lol