War and Peace

How many times while reading this have you just stopped and said "literally me" ?

every other line, user

none- never read it.

did that with AK though, user

Every time Pierre did something

Shit, wrong pic.

>Becky reads a book

Did this guy just plagiarize Crime & Punishment high on mollies?

Literally you? You literally socialize with 1800~ era aristocracy, standing around in old clothes in your mansion?

How can any of you possibly, unironically, relate to this outdated dribbling snooze fest?

I bet you think black people can't relate to whiteys and are pro-choice, pro-BLM.

You do?

I felt that way when I read the more modern man's Tolstoy

Me too OP.
How does Tolstoy do this, I never knew something like this phenomenon could happen even though I read a lot of these old classics, until I read this book. How does he achieve to notice these minute details of how humans colectively act in interactions ?

Pure talent user.

Do you guys feel this also going over gender-lines? I can identify a lot even with the female characters. I really think this could be a /r9k/-redpill antidote.
>inb4 numale

Crime and Punishment did that for me.

Every single Prince Andre scene

Do I buy this book? If so, what edition?

Constance Garnett

R u 4 real /b/Ro.

Well the author is a male so it isn't really doubtlessly believable that that is how women think and act, even though Tolstoy's wife did have a large contribution to the book in various ways. I say if you read female characters like that written by a female author, then the redpill would be completely broken down.

Almost any translation that isn't Garnett. Contrarians here love her but she is objectively inferior to modern translations. She gave all the Russians the same style and skipped over difficult passages. She deserves credit for bringing their works to the English speaking world but her translations should no longer be read.

Well as a female I have to say Tolstoy's female characters are all "literally me". I've honestly never felt that with a male author before.

>reading Constance Garnett is "contrarian"
>muh "modern" Americanized translations in objectively inferior vernacular

kys

Shit, wrong pic.

>P&V

Dunnigan is great. Annoyingly though, the only publisher right now is Signet.

It's a fact, bub. Nobody except contrarians read Garnett in 2016.

So true; it's almost ridiculous how lucidly he writes women when compared to his contemporaries.

It's not really literature, but Blanche pretending not to have touched Stella/Stanley's alcohol stores despite having taken a shot already and then accepting another, was definitely one of those moments. Emerson's journals strike chords pretty often too.