Hi guys. Entering my last year of a 4 year Mathematics degree. Need to take real analysis, complex analysis...

Hi guys. Entering my last year of a 4 year Mathematics degree. Need to take real analysis, complex analysis, and abstract algebra. I already bought:

>understanding analysis by abbot

I have some time to prepare before hand. Looking for tips and specifically book recommendations.

Thanks In advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

fresnostate.edu/csm/math/degrees/ba.html
math.ucsb.edu/ugrad/pdf/UpdatedSuggestedPlanofStudyBSMath.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>last year
>finally taking real analysis
What kind of meme is this?

American ""education""

Pushed all of the hardest classes back so I only have to take 2 math classes one semester and 1 the last. Double majoring in business.

Must be nice having insurance in high school

So basically you've spent 3 years not taking math classes?

Not sure what you guys talking about
fresnostate.edu/csm/math/degrees/ba.html

Maybe I can clear things up for you: that's a bad program.

holy kek nice meme degree

>4th year
>real analysis, complex analysis, and abstract algebra
KEK

Any substance behind your claims?

See

I don't understand. Why is it called a "Bachelor of Arts" degree, if it's mathematics? Is that an American thing? Here in Canada, I think it would either be a bachelor of science or bachelor of mathematics, depending on the institution. Am I wrong?

Here a bachelor's of arts offers more elective than a bachelor's of science.

It will allow you to take less pure math courses and more applied Math, data analysis, and statistics courses.

How the absolute fuck did you get to 4th year without taking at least real analysis? What have you been doing for 3 years?
I'm seriously curious what math subjects you've taken so far.

Rudin is the standard analysis text, but Abbott is a good place to start if you aren't ready for Rudin-tier proposition-theorem-proof reading

Thank you for the first real response.

I've focused alot on statistics and data analysis as I'm planning on going into data science or actuary.

Learning SAS, R Python, theoretical statistics etc, With all of that being done I only have the three math courses left.

Actuarial is overrated. There's few entry level positions and you max out in your mid 30s with little room for advancement

Fuck, man, I lost it at some of the electives:
>MATH 133. Number Theory for Liberal Studies
>MATH 134. Geometry for Liberal Studies
WHAT THE FUCK AM I READING

subjects I've taken without Real Analysis:
Combinatorics, Vector Calc, DE, Dynamical Systems, Number Theory, Abstract Algebra, Math Modelling, stochastic processes
only place in canada with bmath is waterloo, we have bs and ba math too.

I agree the math program here offers alot of flexibility, most go into teaching so that's where the liberal studies comes from.

The classes for science and applied mathematics are offered though, so you just have to choose your classes wisely.

not true

carleton in ottawa and windsor also give out bmaths

Kinda unrelated, but I hate the concept of offering watered down courses for people who just want to go into teaching. It makes my blood boil that we're sending the dud students who weren't good enough to keep up with everyone else to teach future generations.

Lol. You should check out the Masters in math for teaching. That'll make you explode

This. What the fuck OP you should've taken real analysis by second year at least, what have you been doing with your life?

It's not like any body has high-expectations for the kids coming out of those public schools.

The smartest ones self-study and a shitty/lazy teacher gives them more free time for autodidactic study.

But we have too many professionals anyway and the kids coming out of top-tier/private schools more than fills the need.

What the fuck is this?

>1.5 years to complete calculus 1-3
>taking linear algebra in your third fucking year

Jesus Christ this is atrocious.
What a fucking worthless piece of shit.

You've been totally conned.

No wonder Americans believe that majoring in maths means the only job you can get is as a highschool teacher when their maths degrees at average universities are like this.

I don't see what's wrong with that?

Also what are your degrees/pursuits?

Lol at this thread

>>Itt Europoors who can't deal with the fact that even a perfectly average American university is better than anything they have in New Sha'ria.

I studied Maths and statistics.

What's most wrong with it is that linear algebra should be finished by second year.

>BA
>not BSc
found your issue

>I don't see what's wrong with that?
KYS

>Being this dumb

I thought it was natural to finish off with real analysis?
Rate my program: math.ucsb.edu/ugrad/pdf/UpdatedSuggestedPlanofStudyBSMath.pdf

are we supposed to know what the fuck these numbers are?

And no, real analysis is a first or second year course. You really can't do any math without it.

>real analysis
>last year

WTF? How did you do any other course without analysis?

In America these numbers are universal. So Math 3A is Calc I, 3B is Calc II, 4A is Linear Algebra, 4B is Differential Equations, etc.

It should look like this

I don't understands this. I go to a provincial university and I need to take 3 real and 2 complex analysis courses. And that's not for a pure math degree, but an applied math degree.

OP, what fucking university do you go to?

Abstract algebra is a really fun class. One of my favorites. Real analysis is kind of boring but not too hard. Complex analysis is a bit hard.

That's over 20 units a semester which is insane

You literally only need college level Calculus to teach high school math. Everything else -- you'll never teach in high school anyway. What's the big deal?

>taking the bare minimum credit load

damn brainlets

This thread is triggering me guys.

So I'm a former chemistry major who switched to math at the end of my third year, which sets me back a whole year in terms of being able to graduate. As a chemistry major I had to complete the calculus sequence. How can I make best use of the two years I have left?

>1.5 years to complete calculus 1-3
How the fuck else are you supposed to do it?

In high school like the rest of the human world.

this. You really ought to have done Calc 1-3 and Linear Algebra in hs

Wtf? Real analysis and abstract algebra are sophomore level classes. Did you fail a year, or something?

even my very average canadian university has an analysis class in 2nd year. OP's university is garbage

I have hobbies that I don't wanna give up

>wanting to do that much work.

even if it isn't intellectually challenging for you, 20 credits is still a fuck ton of reports.

Tbh it's true many smaller universities in the US are trash. I went to one before I transferred. The department doesn't give a shit, their analysis class consisted of a professor taking a week to show a closed bounded interval is compact.

Real Analysis(as in measure theory, lebesgue integration, etc) is 4th year but Advanced Calculus should be 3rd year.

Honestly calculus should be taught with college algebra, there is no need to make a separate trig and college algebra class.

>One (!) math subject per semester
I'd probably kill myself.

in america "real analysis" means measure theory and they do introucotry analysis (uniform continuity, etc. ) in calculus 1-3.

at least, I hope it does.

this is the biggest misunderstanding anytime this comes up. most schools around me real analysis is a 3rd year course.

Then which kind of analysis is it confused with?

>4th year of university study
>intermediate math analysis 1

that better mean at least functional analysis.

>Muh IQ

Go away, kid.

Well, the fact of the matter is that all the good staff definitely leaves such a faculty.

Holy shit, I'm an EE and we had more math in the first two years. OP has to be a troll.