I've been thinking of going to Washington or Oregon and harvesting truffles, both for my own use and to sell...

I've been thinking of going to Washington or Oregon and harvesting truffles, both for my own use and to sell. Does anybody know anything about how to go about harvesting truffles?

Other urls found in this thread:

usbg.gov/gardens/rare-and-endangered-plants-gallery
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You probably need a specialized pig or a hog or something like that...

Hoggers are no longer used for Trufle hunts as they'll eat the Truffle. All you need is a well trained doggo.

is there a gayer task than looking for truffles?

I'd rather look for Truffles than pick Tea Leaves IMO.

And I mean I love Tea but it just sounds so dainty and tedious to pick them.

Where can you find Truffles in Washington state? I am so not going to Oregon. Can this be done alone?

That's what I want to find out. I want to figure out who's buying, do some research, and go camping out while I harvest truffles. Unload those fuckers and enjoy some myself in my own cooking. Sounds like a fun way to make a pretty penny.

You need a permit and you also need claim land it most parts and also a truffle dog or a fucking pig

Isn't there some kind of rare plant that grows in the ground that is illegal to pick?

I'm not crazy, this exists. And it's very expensive too.

What's it called?

>usbg.gov/gardens/rare-and-endangered-plants-gallery
THERE IS MORE THAN ONE RARE PLANT THAT IT IS ILLEGAL TO PICK, user.

tru but this one I'm thinking of has some kind of use in an industry and is worth tons of money

Hummm... ask in /out/'s fungus thread.

Ginseng root?

I'm sure you can get as many Truffles as you can find.

American truffles are worth nothing and not even worth discussing.

Yep this is it

Thanks

Here at the Appalachian mountains they are not that hard to find. They even got a season

>American truffles are worth nothing and not even worth discussing.
Have you ever eaten American truffles and are you aware of the growing market for them?

fuck (you)

Not the guy you were talking to but I remember reading somewhere American truffles are not the same as European truffles, they're much closer to the Chinese variety. Since there's an oversupply of Chinese truffles already prices for the American have been hurt badly. Was about 2 years ago, maybe it changed again.

>American truffles are worth nothing

this
>American truffles are not the same as European truffles, they're much closer to the Chinese variety.

there was a discussion here where an american cook said that basically american "truffles" had not an intensive taste... italian white truffle ( alba) is around 10.000-12,000€/kg , French Black Perigord truffle around 6000-8000 Euro/kg you can have cheap Chinese truffle for 250-300€ and they are garbage ...

not that guy, but here in washington state i can get a pound of "decent" truffles for $150 or so..

oregon has some decent shit coming out of it (super rich, coffee/blueberry, musty, nice marbling), but it really doesn't compare to european truffles.

american black truffle =/= euro black truffle

white truffle is a whole nother beast entirely

that could very well have been me.. this is me now chinese truffle is the absolute bottom of the barrel, but out of season american truffle is just as bad. it's worthless, IMO.

literally laughed at this post