Do people hate this because it's an inaccurate portrayal of Eastern philosophy, or just because it's dull?

Do people hate this because it's an inaccurate portrayal of Eastern philosophy, or just because it's dull?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yhqkRGISQr8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

both

Its a good book; not for plebs.

Intelligent people don't hate this book.

I won't say you're retarded if you didn't enjoy reading it, but I would suggest revisiting it at another point in your life.

>it'll dull
I gave it to this jaded but happy-go-lucky Dutch girl who hadn't touched a book in years and she read it in one sitting.

It's a simple book, not a boring one.

You have to be at least 18 years old to post on this website.

>It's a simple book, not a boring one.

Exactly this. The book would be a vastly different experience if it wasn't structured the way it is.

I actually gave a copy to someone who wasn't much of a reader before and they did the same thing. That doesn't happen with very many books.

Here's a (you).

yea pretty much all this. it's simple and straightforward. not everything has to be dense maximalist 5deep3u

you read glass bead game if you want that :)

siddhartha is an early work by hesse in any case.

Haven't read this but strongly suspect that Hesse is a hack based on my experience with Steppenwolf (or at least the half that I read before trashing it)

hello plebo

>siddhartha is an early work by hesse in any case.
Do you enjoy making up bullshit to tell people online?

(1922) Siddhartha
(1927) Der Steppenwolf
(1930) NarziƟ und Goldmund (Narcissus and Goldmund; also published as Death and the Lover)
(1932) Die Morgenlandfahrt (Journey to the East)
(1943) Das Glasperlenspiel (The Glass Bead Game; also published as Magister Ludi)

are you retarded? of hesse's books that people still read siddhartha is the earlier one besides demian

it's neither of those things

read it again! read it again!

That's only four novels. There are at least 7 novels he wrote before Siddhartha, not counting his novellas and short stories. The VAST majority of what he wrote is before Siddhartha.

>hesse's books that people still read siddhartha
Which means nothing. Just because you want to come up with your own idiosyncratic definitions that no one else knows doesn't meant you get to act like everyone is obliged to use them.

Why is the nationality relevant? Are the Dutch shallow people?

It was like reading the manifesto of an angsty 16 year old. Throw in a few Goethe references and suddenly its cathartic for turboplebs such as yourself.

yeah they're all dumb as fuck with no sense of humour

i have read the greeks
the russians
the french
the anglos

and i honestly hate Hesse's other works

but Siddharta almost made me cry, because it's like holy shit the history of my life, i feel so identified with it, it's crazy

hesse didnt come into artistic maturity until well into old age

calling siddhartha an early work is super reasonable

>they're all dumb as fuck
Top 5 IQ nation, so that's objectively untrue.

You're making Mr. Fantastic jealous

All of Hermann Hesse's books are written in a simple style, but I've never come across another German author that's so constantly entertaining and full of life. Maybe Robert Schneider, but he's Austrian, and Max Frisch is Swiss. Meyrink and Perutz are also really entertaining.
If you can read German, go read "Schlafes Bruder" by Robert Schneider, this is a true modern classic.

>posting the IQ meme chart
But seriously the Dutch are pretty okay people

>hesse didnt come into artistic maturity until well into old age
Which doesn't mean anything. You can call it an early work of his mature style but to say it's just an early work without further qualification is factual inaccurate.

It's literally a late work. To call it an early work and to just assume that everyone can read your mind to know that your intentionally using different person definitions of words is no reasonable.

It would be like if I say that some 98 year old man is a young man because for some arbitrary reason I'm not counting the first 80 years of his life.

It's exactly what Hesse intended it to be, a linear and accessible Western view of Eastern philosophy. Don't over do it, youre pleb is showing

It's a fantastic book, friendo. Read it again in a couple years

>being this buttmad

You retards will argue about anything

everyone who talks about hesse and reads more than 2 meme books classifies siddhartha as can early work

don't be a sperg

>Being wrong is right if you don't know what you are talking about

how pseud are you

people who actually study hesse classify it as an early work

>Citation needed
Please, link me to a PhD in literature who has a journal entry where that has happened

>accessible
I think that's the magic word for it too. So many westernized takes on eastern culture are occluded, like you just can't tap into the writer's or biographer's point of view. It's as if I'm expected to talk about an alien religion or philosophy as an adult when I'm really no better than a baby when it comes to understanding what's going on. The simple and accessible approach, as if I was a child, seems best to me. Along with this book, I'd recommend the play by Peter Brooks, The Mahabharata. Great stories.

The 5 1/2 hour movie version of the movie is actually on youtube:
youtube.com/watch?v=yhqkRGISQr8

>I can judge the plot of a book I haven't finished

As someone who loves the Dutch, they're rather emotionally vacant at times.

Your pleb eyes couldn't go beyond the surface of the text. You need books with the sense of depth even if artificial. Stay pleb.

A lot of Dutch lit is about bleakness and being dead inside as well.

Nice nihiltrips.

What? People hate this book?
It is such a harmless, innocent, simple book which gives such a different perspective on things. And it is so full of life and has so much to make you think.

This book is the hope that there is an answer to the despair one finds in dostoevsky's works. Which is why I feel that someone should read this book right after reading notes from underground. The juxtaposition and contrast would be incredibly interesting.

And it is not dull at all OP. Siddhartha's life as portrayed in the book is told as such a simple and elegant story that you feel like a child being read to. The prose is pretty and the journey itself straightforward. It offers some hope to all the anguish that you've come across or faced in your life or in existential works that you could relate to. How could you hate it?

Do you ever feel sorry for your parents for birthing a retard like yourself?

This.

Veeky Forums loves to be elitist though. so what can you expect?

You're trying too hard, my dude.

Seems like this book is unanimously adored here.
Looks like I'll have to read it again too because it was one of the first books I read years ago and I thought it was lame.

>fun
>short
>easy
>nice plot
>good prose
>good development
what's not to like?

That it's
>easy.
Leaves me with nothing to brag about.

Trump, pls...

>It is such a harmless, innocent, simple book which gives such a different perspective on things. And it is so full of life and has so much to make you think.

This sums it up, and, so far at least, it seems to sum up Narcissus and Goldmund. Hesse reads like a fairy-tale, but full of symbolism, wisdom and spirituality.

I can add one more testimonial. I read siddhartha last summer when I was hospitalized. I hadn't been interested in literature at all before, but I suddenly started consuming a large amount of books, and haven't stopped in a year. I read hundreds of pages a day.

this is a good book but a lot of people don't like it cause it is so universally liked

this makes absolutely zero sense

have you ever tried talking to a STEM major? You can't.