Ummm guys, what am i in for?

ummm guys, what am i in for?

>falling for the nyrb meme
good goy

A bill for 24 loonies

>what am i in for?

outing yourself as a pseud when people see you reading NYRB classics

i saw a guy with one in Tim Hortons once and watched him as he proceeded to eat his entire meal checking his phone and not reading the book he had prominently displayed on his table

>implying 99.99999999 percent of people know what NYBR classics is

Can someone fill me in on what's wrong with NYRB?

Nothing, they are one of the best publishers. It's a meme on Veeky Forums to hate good things.

they sell cheap books in ugly formats for expensive prices that attract collector types and do the whole hipster curating/lifestyle commodification thing where people can feel like they are buying their way into a culture or interest

simenon will make you hungry if it's anything like the maigret series

Dover fag plz leave.

>he cant handle the truth

None of those books were more than 20 bucks so how is that expensive? One of them is 5 bucks. They offer nice bindings, great translations,Beautiful covers, good quality paper and republish old classics that no one else is.

Only a dover employee would hate on NYBR. Most people on here agree with me.

is right but they do carry a lot of titles which you can't find first hand any more.

they're kind of a last resort before buying second hand, with paper quality about that of wordsworth and slightly less retarded covers. some people just trawl their catalog because it's "obscure" so if you're doing that you might want to neck yourself before your beard does

Only pseuds read them

i read the entire core western canon (~40k books) so now im reading nyrb books

get on my level plebs

actually, i'm wrong on the paper quality, it's alright, but still generally not worth it if you could get a cheaper version off a different publisher.

Quit replying to yourself

you know the entire point is nyrb publishes a lot shit that's out of print and no one else publishes right

if you mean i'm not leaving user think it's actually wordsworth quality paper.

if you think everyone who has some points of agreement is samefag, good luck with an unreliable narrator kek

yes that's why i mentioned it in my first post
>they do carry a lot of titles which you can't find first hand any more.

this, pretty much.

they've got a distinctive design for their covers because it reinforces the brand, but they're all fucking hideous.

slightly redeemed by printing pic related though.

>that one "i hate nyrb OMFG WHY ARE PEOPLE READING BOOKS" autist is samefagging up a storm ITT

Moravagine and Dirty Snow are really great. I have yet to read any John Williams. Happy reading, my leaf friend

Literally no one would have known about Stoner by John Williams if it werent for NYBR

>nyrb faggots are this autistic about any criticism
making the oxfordNEVERPENGUIN faggots look normie now? i guess we all have to do our charity somehow

i think what publisher you use matters pretty much not at all, but ok thanks for projecting

nyrb is literally the only option for a lot of their catalogue. not sure what they're doing that's so reprehensible to you. they charge ~10 - 20 for a trade paperback, which is the exact same price as basically every other mass market publisher. they use decent translations and the binding is on par or superior to penguin classics. do you hate penguin too?

>10 posters, 26 replies

>nyrb is literally the only option for a lot of their catalogue. not sure what they're doing that's so reprehensible to you.
It's not, it's why I brought it up as their selling point, especially for people who don't like second hand. You're just too autistically in love with them to actually read what I said and consider what seems to be me and 2(or 1) other faggots samefag because you're incapable of reading any viewpoint which doesn't wholly agree with your own autism without sperging out.
>they use decent translations and the binding is on par or superior to penguin classics. do you hate penguin too?
penguin bindings aren't good for a lot of their runs. they're famous for that and for their copy desk fucking up so many times in the past decade that it really is safer to recommend other publishers for that period, if you don't want an expurgated at random Gravity's Rainbow. i don't hate them, and god you're a complete sperger who really can't handle criticism if you don't see why people will warn you about that shit: it's so you don't buy editions you might not want or might crap out on you before your first read is even through.

i don't hate nyrb (or penguin for that matter, or oxford). i do think the kind of person who trawls their catalog alone is probably a pseud who just wants books that are considered "rare" for the cachet they think that holds, but they are useful if you want a book that's out of print and don't want a second hand copy or can't find a second hand copy. since i don't hate second hand copies either, for a lot of books, that's an even cheaper alternative, often with thread binding instead of glue.

nyrb has their place, but the amount of sperger defensiveness you're throwing up that it must be completely flawless or else we must totally hate them and want them to die in a fire is retarded if you thought you were proving their fans aren't neckbeard spergs with dim to nil reading comprehension who aren't buying it because "why did penguin stop publishing grogan's memoir?". it makes you look like you're buying grogan because nyrb recommended it to you, not because every hippy thief you met has stolen your second hand penguins and not put them back up on abe.

>It's not
[citation needed]

>being this bad at reading comprehension

as i said i already read the entire western canon (40k books) so now im reading nyrb for the more "obscure" books.

dude you're reading a shitton of assumptions into what little i posted

pretty sure you're the only one attacking some imaginary cohort of pseud neckbeard hipsters who worship an altar adorned with nyrb books

they have some books that i buy cause no one else publishes them and i feel they're reasonable for the price. that's pretty much it.

>[citation needed]
You want a citation that I don't find NYRB reprehensible? Try the part where I say they have a place, and all the posts where I describe their catalog as handy for out of print works you might have to otherwise second hand etc.
>as i said i already read the entire western canon (40k books) so now im reading nyrb for the more "obscure" books.
>thinking nyrb "obscure"
kek, the cachet you think it has isn't there m8. the only people who are buying that are your fellow neckbeards who trawl the catalog for that same reason.

everyone else thinks you're reading nyrb grogan because you're late to the party not because you're into obscure shit, or maybe hippies stole the penguin version from a decade back if they feel kind.

but i read 40k books (the entire western canon). how many have you read?

>as i said i already read the entire western canon (40k books) so now im reading nyrb for the more "obscure" books.

what, you're so incredibly well read that you need the editors at NYRB to choose what book you read next? that makes no sense. you could at least have picked Dalkey Archive.

woah guys ben lerner is an nyrb aficionado

what does this mean for this spergfest between and ?

pls discuss.

i already read the entire dalkey archive as well.

>dude you're reading a shitton of assumptions into what little i posted
are you think guy who read into my saying their catalog was good for out of prints that i clearly meant that was a reprehensible thing?

kek, you're almost as bad as this fuck who at least is hiding behind several layers of irony in his neckbearding.
>40k books
Warhammer isn't Veeky Forums or any part of the western canon, sweetheart. Nice dubs though.

>are you think guy who read into my saying
what did he mean by this?

oh that's cool man. what did you think of this one?

>>are you think guy who read into my saying
>are you *the guy who read into my saying
i obviously can't have a problem with penguin now kek

it's really funny and a good caricature of the kinds of writers you'd find on Veeky Forums or those in coffee shops in williamsburg dreaming about becoming the next james joyce

but it did not need to be nearly as long as it was. by the last 1/3 the humor started feeling repetitive and it was mostly beating a dead horse of "haha look how silly contemporary literature and "writer culture" is!"

its "self awareness" got grating as well, but i suppose that was intentional and part of the meta aspect of the novel. didn't work for me but i can acknowledge its merits.

it's a bit too self indulgent and ultimately i think this sort of meta-exploration of what it means to write was done better by the likes of calvino and barthes decades earlier. not a bad book by any means.

>kek

what did he mean by this?

>[partial croaking]

>it's really funny and a good caricature of the kinds of writers you'd find on Veeky Forums or those in coffee shops in williamsburg dreaming about becoming the next james joyce
>joyce
>not going for stalin when handed a georgian writer
i am disappoint.

in the popular massively multiplayer online role playing game 'world of warcraft' players who spoke to the enemy team would have their messages put through a filter that made their message look to be spoken in an unreadable ingame language
KEK was the translation for "LOL", making KEK/LOL to be one of the few words to easily escape the ingame language barrier

it had since been appropriated quasi-ironically on online video game and hentai forums as a trendy and outsider alternative to saying the once popular "LOL" acronym (laugh out loud)
despite its contrarian origins online, KEK is used commonly among users of all social media today, from facebook to twitter

yeah sounds about right. I enjoyed reading it but it was pretty forgettable. what about this one? another one about writers, I guess. I enjoyed it more though.

have you read any Antal Szerb?

>he didn't read the greeks
it's been laughter ever since dionysos had that argument with the frogs

>Stoner
Great character study. Enjoyable read.

>implying those people unrelated to the literary community who might well, in fact, have a significantly higher probability of knowing said reading list are in any way relevant

it's like saying, 99% of people can't see the color blue, but you know you're wearing blue to a place where blue seeing people congregate. Is that scenario unrelatable to your feeble pleb mind?

>trawl the catalog
You keep saying this, but in reality no one does this.

unfortunately, they do. some do it without intent to show them off, because it carries the editorial safety of dalkey/olympia/f&f/vintage etc, and some of them post openly about that here.

but there's a whole chunk of their readership who are into it for instagram pics of "obscure lol so quirky" books they'll probably not read ever. dalkey get that problem to a smaller extent, but nyrb stands out for it.

>Is that scenario unrelatable to your feeble pleb mind?
>implying hume isn't for the feeble minded
go get eaten by a grue

Literally nothing, basically the NYRB goes back into the 20th century and finds great books that never got popular and republishes them. Dunno about the book quality, I pirate their ebooks.

Are humongous faggots, especially the faggot who claims people read NYRB to look prestigious and intelligent (especially since most of us pirate them). No one knows these books, no one cares if you are reading them. Many are extremely enjoyable and if you think it makes you a hipster to read books that hipsters dont even read, you should probably get off the internet.

I bet they've got a lot of brand-loyal readers blindly trusting them to pick the next obscure forgotten classic. (and to be honest, they probably read a lot of great books that way.)

It is unrelatedable because there is no Galt's Gulch Utopia where people sit around and read obscure, usually foreign fiction and highly stylized nonfiction, or derive status from reading such if they choose too.

>Are humongous faggots, especially the faggot who claims people read NYRB to look prestigious and intelligent (especially since most of us pirate them). No one knows these books, no one cares if you are reading them. Many are extremely enjoyable and if you think it makes you a hipster to read books that hipsters dont even read, you should probably get off the internet.
read some tiqqun bruh

>that never got popular and republishes them.
most of what they published had a good initial run or cult influence, user. it's a good publisher, but you're overselling it, and you're overselling it on the point that instagrammers love it for too.

nyrb's rejected user's recommendations for reprints. maybe they browse here and know that we'd pirate that shit, but they don't "find great books that never got popular".
they find books that were popular and could easily experience a resurgence. part of what keeps them able to do that is hipsters who'll buy four foot of books, and their business model follows that. they don't reprint all the obscure books recommended to them by their audience for a reason: their audience which is willing to pay any mark up for style is more money than the people who read everything they buy or steal.

you're being defensive when half of the posts you're quoting say that you can buy or steal it without being pretentious.
a lot of people don't though, they buy it because they think it makes them look cool and buy more than they read and they do that purely because they're pretentious hipsters.

it's good for the press, as is choosing titles which once were quite commonplace alongside some marginally "obscure" works, but freaking out and denying any hipster sponsor the press is kind of dumb. it's hipsters who'll pay full price not pirate shit.

>nobody knows these books
were you a reader's digest reader in a former life? god i feel old

Newfag to Veeky Forums here -

How does one pirate these books?

read sticky.

gutenberg / archive.org if it's out of copyright.

have you read that wedgwood perchance

yes it is quite good, but I think that The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy by Peter H. Wilson is a more up to date and inclusive treatment of the subject

btdigg, look up NYRB, download a torrent with all of them

this is probably the most inane topic someone has chosen to sperg out on Veeky Forums, and that's saying something

like, of all the hills to die on, this one?

bby pls we haven't even moved on to pushkin press' shit yet

getting your bank account stolen by reverse jpeg imaging

ah good
think i'll probably read wilson's whenever I have a lot more free time since it's rather large

great paper quality though. barely any paperback publisher does acid free paper. its rare to find pb's with somewhat tolerable paper that does not decompose when you hold it for over a second.

A great time, Stoner was really good

Paper seems really smooth and the the books feel really sturdy.

>you might want to neck yourself before your beard does
nice

my nigga

Is this faggot Kish good? I see him shilled on Veeky Forums all the time.

>Can someone fill me in on what's wrong with NYRB?

It's turgid.

Moravagine was a fun read desu

>« Je ne suis pas de votre race. Je suis du clan mongol qui apporta une vérité monstrueuse : l'authenticité de la vie, la connaissance du rythme, et qui ravagera toujours vos maisons statiques du temps et de l'espace, localisées en une série de petites cases. Mon étalon est plus sauvage que vos engrenages poussifs, son sabot de corne plus dangereux que vos roues de fer. Entourez-moi des cent mille baïonnettes de la lumière occidentale, car malheur à vous si je sors du noir de ma caverne et si je me mets à chasser vos bruits. Que sur mes berges vos pontonniers ne réveillent jamais mon tympan endolori, car je ferais siffler sur vous le vent incurvé comme un cimeterre. Je suis impassible comme un tyran. Mes yeux sont deux tambours. Tremblez si je sors de vos murs comme de la tente d'Attila, masqué, effroyablement agrandi, revêtu de la seule cagoule, comme mes compagnons du bagne à l'heure de la promenade, et si avec mes mains d'étrangleur, mes mains rougies par le froid, je force le ventre aigrelet de votre civilisation!»

wew