Chicken quarters?

How do I cook this stuff tonight? I have a fair amount of seasoning avaliable and access to an oven, frying pans, and a stove.

Other urls found in this thread:

allrecipes.com/recipe/15530/chicken-fricassee/
cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015770-zuni-cafe-chicken
allrecipes.com/recipe/235151/crispy-and-tender-baked-chicken-thighs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Cast iron skillet
Salt liberally
Vegetables around
In oven at 500f for 40 minutes.

Seasoned, cooked medium high in a pan

Remove skin, put in pot with seasoning and stew on medium low for a few hours, throw in potatoes, carrots, etc for the last hour

Get the bones and boil into stock for other dishes

I'm always surprised by just how bad Veeky Forumss advice is

Season outside of the bird with salt and pepper and anything else you like. I lift up the skin and put butter, bacon, and some herbs (usually rosemary) under it, throw it in a small glass baking pan and throw it in the oven at 350f for an hour. The chicken comes out with the crispiest skin you've ever had and takes on the flavor of the herbs and bacon. You can even make a sauce out of the juices if you desire to add something else to it.

I buy quarters all the time they're quite good.

Seriously I'm bullshit at cooking leg quarters and this is shit advice

Roasting chiken iz dum XD! upbote!

basically this. for bonus points, hit that skin with some coarse salt. shit is flame emoji.

500 for 40 minutes gives you ashes but aight le trolle pozt ecks dee

Buy new cookbooks.
Hot oven roasting is advocated by michael ruhlman (how to roast), Judy Rodgers (zuni cafe), Thomas Keller (ad hoc, bouchon cookbooks) and barbara kafka (Roasting: a simple art)

make a chicken fricassee, you will not regret it!

allrecipes.com/recipe/15530/chicken-fricassee/

Sure, but not for 40 minutes, or you get ashes. And with a thick piece of meat.... uneven and tough

>bacon
Now you've gone too far.

500 seems rather high.

Place skin-side down in a braising dish (glass dish with a lid in my case). Pour broth/marinade into dish to cover about 1/3-1/2 of the way up. Bake at 350 until a meat thermometer reads them 2/3 of the way done. Take out of oven, flip them over, pat the skin dry, rub with oil and sprinkle on seasoning. Place back in oven without the cover and bake until crispy and the thermometer reads done.

If you have backbones like in your picture, go ahead and trim those off, they'll be useful later.

I can fit 2 leg quarters in my skillet, but if I'm cooking more then I use a roasting pan. Either way, start with 2 parts chopped onion, 1 part chopped carrot, and 1 part chopped celery to make a bed at the bottom of your pan.

Season under the chicken's skin with parsley, salt, minced garlic, black pepper, whatever you like. I like using lemon pepper.

Rub the skin side with olive oil, which will help distribute the seasoning under the skin, and liberally salt the other side of the chicken.

Lay it skin side up on your veggies and roast it 8" under the broiler until about half the skin side is brown, then flip and continue roasting for the same amount of time. In my oven, that's 17 minutes each side.

Make sure the chicken is cooked (juices run clear, 170*F/80*C internal temp) and set it aside in some foil. While it rests, drain the excess fat from the pan and place it over high heat with enough red wine to cover the bottom of the pan and the backbone from before. Using tongs, scrape the bottom of the pan with a sturdy piece of vegetable or the backbone and add a cup of chicken stock. Reduce by half and you have a jus.

The veggies should be discarded at this point, but I like to eat them anyway.

I usually toss one in a small cast iron skillet (more for lack of baking dishes than any other reason), and toss that bitch in the oven for a while. Pick some random temp and leave in while I do other stuff and eventually decide that it's done.

The ones I buy are usually preseason, otherwise just season however you want.

Pretty impossible to fuck up. Also I'll usually pour all the chicken grease and crunchy bits from the skillet on top of rice or potatoes or what have you. Chicken grease is fucking delicious.

>a bunch of fucking memelords reinventing the wheel to sell books in the age of smartphones

>most of the books were published before 2007 with one published over 20 years ago.
Wow, you really got down to the motives of the authors!

>most were published after 2009

ftfy

I wouldn't cook a breast past 160 because it will easily coast to 165. Anyone that says "cook for x amount of time" is retarded. The dark meat also needs to cook a while longer.

How long you cook it depends entirely on how big the chicken is and it's something you need to gauge yourself.

It's a chicken quarter you retard if you need someone to say don't eat raw chicken you probably aren't old enough to be in the kitchen without an adult.

chickens come in different sizes you stupid fucking cunt. I didn't say anything about making sure the chicken isn't raw, I was trying to make sure OP doesn't ruin the breast meat by following one of your dumb as shit guidelines and overcooking the fuck out of it

Pretty fucking hard to overcook a skin on thigh quarter, that's basically the fattiest piece of chicken you can get and it'll come out juicy and tender damn near regardless of what you do to it.

How fucking retarded are you. It's a fucking chicken quarter you could cook it for 2 hours and it will still be joocy. Not only do you have no idea what you're talking about but he posted a fucking picture of it at the start of the thread. You should ask your parents permission before using the internet next time.

I would make chicken cacciatore. It's like italian coq au vin.
>Season and lightly flour chicken
>Sear in oven safe pan
>Remove chicken from pan and add bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, and garlic
>Season with italian herbs
>After cooking veggies until soft take all the tomatoes, and some of the peppers, onions, and garlic and blend them with some red wine and chicken broth
>Add mixture back to pan
>place seared chicken on top, do not submerge
>Braise in oven until cooked through and tender
I would serve it with polenta or pasta. The skin gets super crunchy and the chicken quarters retain all their juicy goodness. Also a good amount of pecorino is recommended on top.

OP here, I tried this. Was good, but all the seasoning flavor didn't quite make it down to the meat by the bone. But that probably was my fault, I used a very tiny amount of butter.

Chicken
Chicken Broth
Chicken Rice

Chef! Just season with a little salt, put some oil in the pan rage it till it smokes, put the chicken skin side down, lower the heat, after a few minutes of just watching the edges waiting till golden brown throw a few sprigs of thyme and like three or four cloves of garlic and some butter then base the chicken flesh for a little then throw in the oven that's at five hundred for maybe six or seven minutes and it's done! Cheers!

>calling thighs "chicken quarters"

Half assed mode: Give t a quick sear in a cast iron pan, season to taste, add potatoes and carrots, cover, bake in oven at 400 until done. Make sure you occasionally through thighs juices back on top.

>remove skin
user...

Not very health conscious but chicken and bacon is a based combo.

>seasoning flavor didn't quite make it down to the meat by the bone.
Yeah, seasoning doesn't really do that. If you want full hardcore flavor penetration you need to marinade.

go cook a chicken at 500 for 40 minutes then post pics

>Remove skin,

Leave the skin on, broil lightly oiled quarters for about 40 minutes. Use lemon-infused olive oil if you can find it, sprinkle with kosher salt. This is impossible to fuck up. Discard the skin after broiling if you want to.

I wish I had pics of the probably over 200 chickens I've roasted in a hot oven (>400F)

cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015770-zuni-cafe-chicken

I used to cook exactly two chicken hindquarters or three thighs every day for dinner, for about 3 years. I had to find a balance of being easy, being consistent, and being tasty.

My conclusion was this:

1. Put chicken skin-side down in a covered glass dish, filled with marinade to cover about 1/3-1/2 of the chicken
2. Bake at 350 until almost done
3. Turn chicken over, then pat dry the skin, rub with oil/spices, and bake uncovered until the skin is crispy and it reaches the correct temperature.

I typically braised at 350, then finished at either 350 or 400, depending on how close to temperature it was (if close, 400 to crisp the skin faster). It worked fine regardless of whether using fresh or frozen, I never bothered to defrost, it just took an extra 20-30 minutes or so before needing to flip.

first broil them... if they start loosing fat lift to the surface put them outside... pat them dry.... season them and put in oven.... for 30 mins min...

cooking before make the skin crispier... you can also put in a pot heat bbq, honey and maybe sriracha and toss them after come out of the oven

That's a whole chicken, numbnuts. OP is using quarters.

The person that he replied to specified "go roast a chicken" not quarters. Follow the thread.

Pan nice and hot

>Follow the thread.
I did, maybe you should. Look at the posts they were replying to. Apparently you only started reading halfway through.

Here dude use this recipe.

I've used this on legs as well, pretty much anything with skin will make this great. Also, the seasoning choice actually doesn't matter, it's the way you cook them that makes them crispy.

>Always rinse your chicken too. People say not to, but I swear it yields even crispier skin. Pat all water off until nearly completely dry.

allrecipes.com/recipe/235151/crispy-and-tender-baked-chicken-thighs/

Not true, although 500 IS too high.

Do 450 or 400. Trust me, I'm a goddess in the kitchen.

>although 500 IS too high.
Depends on your oven.