Do you like hardback edition books?

I mean, they look nice, but they're expensive and more uncomfortable to read so I don't get them.

/thread

Would like to grab some of the more expensive editions by the Folio Society, for example, their book of common prayer, or one of their bibles, especially their medieval one. But I can't justify the expense right now.

The only hardback book I own is a leather-bound copy of The Illiad and the Oddysey

Kek I borrowed that same edition of C&P from my library. I love the little piece of string books include so you don't have to keep track of a bookmark

never found them to be particularly uncomfortable. Why is that user?

i buy 1st editions at half price when i see them, especially nice ones, but they sit on my shelf and I don't read them. If I want to read them, I go and buy a shitty used copy with no scribblings or underlining and read that instead.

Different hands and ways of holding books maybe but I always liked paperback better, as long as it's good quality and not too big format.

I'll buy a hardback if it's close to the price of a paperback but if there's a substantial price difference I'll always go the paperback.

>inb4 none of this is Veeky Forums-related

I've always bought paperbacks, especially used, because I've always held a romantic vision of this personal library which belonged to an artist in Paris. It looked like he'd just collected any old copy--cheap, battered, stained and tainted--from all over the city for years. I picked one at random (it turned out to be Gide's Les faux-monnayeurs) which had amazingly retained most of its cover and spine despite looking like it had passed through several people's hands and then run over repeatedly by a garbage truck. Inside, the pages still retained some of that good old book smell but the amount of graphite and ink squeezed into the margins and spaces, ranging from innocent and innocuous reactions to encyclopedic shadings and sketches, rivaled the actual print.

Yes, but why are they so expensive in the US?

Here in Brazil I can find dozens of hardback classics for 10 reais or less.

I would love to get some Everyman's Library or other hardcovers, but they would make my shelf look gaudy and inconsistent because of all the paperbacks I have.

Book shelves look better when the books are inconsistent. They just look weird and autistic if they're all uniform and from the same publisher.

Forgot to add: my wife is also a totally liberated women and we've recently found her a new immigrant bull (although unfortunately he's smaller than me). Regardless I'll have fun reading her out tonight when she gets back.

Oops, I meant eating her out. Freudian slip. Lol.

>new world savages

disgusting
book means hardback, its not even a question
only lowly dianna romance tier toiletpaper has paperback

If I could I would have my whole library in hard cover, or better yet leather bound.

Yeah I guess.

If I'm buying the book "to read", though, I won't be willing to pay too much of an extra for hardback. I'd rather have soft for 15 euros than hard for 40, in those cases.

If I'm like buying an old favorite to have around and to re-read at some point, I'd consider the hardback.

fpbp

I only buy hardcover books because I don't find reading paperbacks comfortable. I like to lay the book down on top of my keyboard and read there, rather than hold it.

>I like to lay the book down on top of my keyboard and read there
Do you live at your computer desk?

Places it's acceptable to read:
- Bed
- Comfy chair
- Sun lounger
- Uncomfy chair (e.g. on a plane)
- On the floor, laying on your tummy
- On the floor, leaning against the wall

ok

O_O

holy shit, nice everyman's library copies. I have two books from everyman's library, one is lolita because it was only 12 dollars which is like dollars more than a regular hardcover, then 1984 because I wanted to get something a little special because that's the book that got me interested in reading, and it was around 15 dollars but worth it. Everyman's library is the finest quality hardcover books I know of, without getting into stupid expensive shit like leather bound. The pages are such fine quality, they've got that official, old school look on the spines, and they have that silk ribbon built into the spine as a page book marker. It's the finest quality hardcover I've seen. It really sucks that that Dostoyevsky edition is out of print and costs a fortune on amazon though, I'd love to own an everyman's library edition of crime and punishment. I got the dover thrift edition, which is great because it was only 4 dollars, and I figure if I can get an unabridged version of a book for that cheap, by a good translator, then it's worth every penny. I like the feel of dover thrift books too, they actually aren't bad editions in my opinion.

spooks spooks spooks

>than a regular hardcover
meant than a regular paperback.

Friendly reminder that the "hardcover is for shelves, sooftcover books are for people who REALLY read" meme is spread by publishers because it's cheaper for them to produce shitty softcovers that fall apart while reading.

I like they way they look and feel but I read my books on the commute so paperback it is.

Also those fucks at Norton apparently don't make hardcover variants of the Critical editions.

I only buy used hardcovers

paperbacks suck

the norton critical paperbacks are sturdy enough anyway

can you answer my thread though? a lot of hardcovers for good books are ridiculously fucking expensive, I hate it.