Why do people struggle with math, specifically trigonometry and calculus...

Why do people struggle with math, specifically trigonometry and calculus? It's really not that complicated if you do a lot of exercises. Plus, the compatibility with physics is tremendous. I wouldn't mind so much if they weren't so deliberate about it

>lol i really suck at math

Why is this socially acceptable? To spout such a when you're half way through algebra says a lot about you.

Most of people's exposure to math is in highschool, which, frankly kills any possibility of looking at math as something cool and exciting, but rather turns it into mind numbing, seemingly meaningless exercises with no context or reasoning as to why something is the way it is.

>Why do people struggle with computers
>Why do people struggle with technology
>Why do people struggle with problem solving

Because the jewz filled the media with anti-intellectualism

Idk but as a HS math teacher I get tired of hearing it. Anyone can do well in math. Most are just lazy and are only interested in correct answers (passing the class) rather than conceptual understanding.

>Anyone can do well in math.
>HS math teacher
Well, not THAT well apparently

Passing the class is the only thing people are told to do rather than truly understanding what it is they're doing.

To me those things are much harder than for example algebraic topology. I suspect I have some sort of dyscalculia or something, but really doing those calculations is a pain in my ass but abstract stuff is much easier.

It's nothing unusual, most of my college mates hated analysis with a passion too, myself included.
There's nothing fascinating or interesting about manipulating symbols until you stumble upon the proper variable substitution. Just gotta power through it.

kek

You could go with the idea of mathphobia which is introduced at a young age when numbers are strange concepts that are difficult to produce order in using an Arabic numeral system. I personally struggled with trig because I am terrible at memorizing lists of transformations that I am given ad hoc reasons for their equivalence. High school isn't a very good place for learning math is what I realized, especially depending on which high school you go to and how hard the other classes you take are. My high school class load was significantly harder then anything I've taken in college and I double majored in chemistry and biology with a minor in math. When you have that much stuff to do it's more about getting the pretty letter then figuring out why you are doing it.

And the funny thing is, I passed differential and integral calculus with an A. But it wasn't until I got to physics II the next semester that I really understood how to apply them in real life. Fetching differentials and whatnot. It was mostly lines of charge and Gaussian surfaces, but a great insight on integrals.

Math anxiety is real.

>high school was significant harder than anything I've taken in college
>majored in chemistry and biology
the memes are true

>There's nothing fascinating or interesting about manipulating symbols until you stumble upon the proper variable substitution
This so much! I cringe when I see/hear someone talking about "beautiful equations". If it is a must to find beauty in mathematics, then I'd say it's the connections between things, the similarity of various constructions in different settings (and this is one of the raisons d'ĂȘtre for category theory) and the thought processes, but not some crappy equation.

I went to one of those feeder schools where everyone was in at least 4 AP classes a semester. Everyone was asian and getting a B was a grave insult. In college I have less homework and less classes, I don't have to worry about doing physics, math, lit, biology homework every night so I can just study instead. My classes were hard ye but it's much easier when you are doing something you love and don't have 6 hours of inane bullshit to sift through every night before you can start studying.

High schools are mostly failures.

Trigonometry is the weird social outcast of math.
Its just memorizing a bunch of equations. You can't do shit unless you know a handful of equations

> learn rational trig.
> never memorize a trig equation again

>not proving all the trig identities for yourself to see why they work

>institutionalized education ruins kids passion for knowledge!
>people only hate math because schools can't teach it right!
>continuing this meme despite the current year
people have /never/ liked math. even back to it's inception, the common man didn't like it and didn't understand it. it not often that you come across a person that is not only interested in something, but also (and here's the important part) is willing to go out and find answers, instead of sitting there wondering. math isn't something that humans evolved to understand, hence the vast majority of them take no interest in it, and resist when it's forced on them.

Because maths is pointless to 95% of peoples daily lives, why SHOULD they bother?

How is knowing trigonometry going to change an ordinary persons life?

>not knowing the Taylor series expansions

They can look at the height of ladders leaning against walls

good one m8.
Really laughed out loud at that one.
Whew, I'm gonna have to take a seat because I'm laffin' to hard

>why SHOULD they bother?
They should not, they should remain
the ignorant members of the social
caste into which they were born.

>Anyone can do well in math.
... just as anyone can do well in
running a Marathon? Or perhaps
ice-skating? Or concert piano?
fgt pls

i think it's because of "slightly" watered-down classes in HS and middle school.
i.e in middle schools when they try to introduce you to logarithms they don't explicitly say
find [math]log_{2}32[/math] so you know that it equals 5
but instead they write it in more "friendly" way [math]{2}^{x} = 32[/math] which is absolutely correct but
taking great lengths to "strip" symbols from functions makes average person "fear" when they see something
now. even if in reality it describes really simple things like integrals or derivatives whatever.

>Why do people struggle with math, specifically trigonometry and calculus?

>It's really not that complicated if you do a lot of exercises.

Nobody does enough exercises.

>Don't know if something is correct or not
>Here's the equation for it though

I'm sick of maths being the be-all and end-all to science.
Maths fucking makes people stupid, constantly applying mathematical headspace to physical problems.

OK bait. 5/10

I'm serious.

No one knows what gravity is, no one knows what an electron is, no one knows what a field is, but here are these equations explaining what happens in a blackhole which no one has ever witnessed.

It's not maths itself, maths is fine.
Just the people using it.

What? What do you mean no one knows what those things are? What would you say "knowing gravity" is?

How else would you understand gravity (or any phenomena really) in it's completeness if not by re-creating it through experiment?

If you can understand the cause and effect, as opposed to just explaining the effect, THEN give a few equations to denote this and that within the theory.

I still don't see how that means no one understands gravity. By your logic we all should understand gravity since we have conducted many experiments on it and we experience it all the time.

I don't hate math when I teach it to myself. Because I understand that it's necessary to understand the world which just happens to be very complex.

But having to learn it under time pressure makes it a pain in the ass.

bullshit. not everyone can do it, and the reason is in HS they taught the kid with abstract math instead of technical math. who like getting into that kind of thing when you are high in unstable hormones that seek for pleasure (a.k.a teenagers). teach them to use in practical engineering like usage for example building a fucking car or carpentry or whatever use muscle and compliment their unstable hormone while using the math, when they understand that math can be used for multiple thing instead boring abstract math, they will at least willing to hear and probably learn it. though not everyone are destined to be good at it.

We understand the effects of it, because we live in it, we can measure things.

But what is it?

If you just go on the assumption of what it is and conjure up centuries, decades worth of work on an assumption, then what good is all that buildup if the assumption turns out to be wrong?

Not to say there isn't value in current measurements and understandings, far from it.

>le biological determinism mem

trigonometry and calculus requires you to do a lot of practice problems. you make lots of mistakes and you have to be very determined.

most people don't have the willpower to sit still for an hour.

wait, so saying that teenagers can't pay attention for shit because of hormones is now biological determinism????

>le pol meme

Le Leftard tabula rasa meme
>>/anywhere else/

I have a visual mind. Trig and coordinate geometry were easy. Algebra was hard. Calculus was OK.

Like that joke from the 1940s
Doctor says to nurse: "You know, I've been so run off my feet with this workload that I've forgotten how electricity works"
Nurse: "It's easy - look - you just flip the switch"

honestly wish I was given hundreds of abstract technical exercises about rationalization, trigonometry and logarithm function to do in HS, instead of a dozen of word problems with pictures and a two-paragraph little story.

I'm very good at maths and I've tutoured a lot of college students in calc 1 and 2. Some people are really just not good at it.

trips don't lie
i agree with you here. i dispised word problems as a little one, what i really wanted was something that i could conceptualize purely mathematically. although articulating that when i was 10 years old was a bit of a difficulty.

No, people don't need to like math, they just need to practice. A lot. Preferably forced by their parents to. See Asians.

In the US, 7th through 9th grade math is basically just learning the chores mathematicians had to do 200 years ago since they didn't have calculators. It's not hightening a person's understanding of math or teaching them to do math by themselves

post more fox

Mostly because people are lazy and our society rewards looks rather than intelligence.

You learned without a HS math teacher?
Oh yeah all you fags knew Calculus out of the womb right? Get lost.

Mfw I make $60K and only work 9 months a year. Literally every holiday off. Enjoy corporate slavery.

>being this arrogant and childish

Learning on your own is definitely preferred.
Don't have to rush, don't have to skip concepts, can work as many problems as you want to get really proficient etc.

foreal

People suck at calc and trig because they are total brainlets and don't work at school. When I was in high school I was a total lamer at math and one day my teacher told me to move my ass and study, so I increased my math home study time about 20 minutes a day. Within one or two months my grades skyrocketed and I found the syllabus was fucking nothing. Yet most of my classmates could not handle it since they did not listen to the teacher when he likely told them the same thing as he told me. They probably either think they are too much of brainlets for math (which is not entirely false) or blame it on something totally stupid like pi instead of tau or the so-called uselessness of the subject in the real world (why do you think Wildburger manages to convince so many retards that math is flawed and his alternatives are better when they are not?).

There's no excuse. If you struggle with Calc 1 or anything of an equivalent or lower level, that means you don't give a shit about math and should rather be a chemist or a Solid Works monkey.

truthy/falsey

chemist here
all we need is some DEs at worst, thankfully

>not using vectorization daily

>f it is a must to find beauty in mathematics, then I'd say it's the connections between thing
are you me?
>category theory
you are me.

no probs m8, I need a garbageman too.

>baaaawaaaaw how come those high school kids can't succeed at my (terribly boring) high school math
>but bruh there's a whole lot of people who did much better at university math than you did and are either college profs or researchers in national institutes
>baaaawaaaaw how childish
I'm just saying, if you're a HS teacher, you should be able to understand that not everybody succeeds at everything.

>Mfw I make $60K and only work 9 months a year
>blames highschooler for only caring about the result
lmao look at this brainlet

Math checks the assumption. If the math is wrong, the assumption is wrong, although not necessarily vice versa. Further, if mathematical models are correct and consistent, it literally doesn't matter for any practical purpose whether we "understand" the concept or not.

To use an example other than gravity for a second: science understands electromagnetism pretty well, mathematically. If it were discovered that every electron was actually a tiny space wizard that used magic to transmit force, it would change absolutely nothing about the way we use electricity. Because the math still checks out. The math has been experimentally proven to be true. The world wouldn't collapse if our core understanding of electricity was obliterated overnight: in fact, it would remain exactly the same because the equations dictate that space wizards behave exactly the same as tiny charged particles.
>What good is all that buildup if the assumption turns out to be wrong?
Literally nothing changes.

I'm pretty sure this is b8 anyway, but 8/10 b8, since you pretended to be stupid enough to get me to respond.