I am more intelligent than average but not as happy as plainer people

I am more intelligent than average but not as happy as plainer people.

Can smart people be happy Veeky Forums?

>I am more intelligent than average
[citation needed]

ye, IQ test proved. I'm not saying I'm Einstein.

Yes

are you actually good at anything aside from an iq test?

well I got an engineering degree this year

there's like a billion people with engineering degrees, a degree is just the new high school diploma

have you actually accomplished anything? what makes you think you're intelligent? have you produced something?

Why are you looking for accomplishments when talking about intelligence? A stupid person can accomplish a lot through hard work.

There's a definite correlation between intelligence and a degree of misery.

Obviously it depends on a lot, and logically I'd say it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. For me the closest I've ever came was an iteratively induced and engineered state of pseudo-zen. My consciousness throughout that period was a mess and I mainly maintained it with self delusion, a "transferrence" layer, and selective rigid suppression of certain ways mental operations to the point of their removal from my experience of life altogether.

Smart people can be satisfied, and most people are probably capable of happiness under some context. A lot of people just won't or can't accept it. I'll personally likely never be meaningfully happy and barely have a definition for the word.

who cares if I'm intelligent or not, you're missing the whole point

what good is intelligence if you can't do anything with it? i don't believe that that person is 'stupid' if they have several accomplishments

the guy with 200 IQ who has only ever been a bouncer and made up some nonsense cognitive theory of everything is certainly not intelligent

Yes, smart people can be happy.

Have you asked other smart people why are they happy?

I agree

why do you think "plainer" people are happier then you?

I can see there is a lot of disagreement on who people consider to be intelligent.

Let's not be so vague and talk for some distinct personalities only.
Let these personalities be people who we all agree are intelligent and accomplished.
For example lets talk about Albert Einstein, Isac Newton, Carl Gauss and Richard Feynman.
Do you consider them, having been happy?
And to what extent were their lives happy?

>so smart
>it makes me sad

Sounds legit, OP - but have you considered other possibilities?

Stupid people are actually more prone to depression, which you'd know if you actually read anything besides a Veeky Forums thread.

The reason that smart people are unable to be happy is that intelligence is a disease.

It's an anomaly.

It's an accident.

It's an evolutionary spandrel.

/reddit/

But there are plenty of art happy people. Unless you're telling me that all your college profs are depressed despite most of them probably being leagues ahead of you intellectually.

>I am more intelligent than average but not as happy as plainer people

You realize that 50% of the population is smarter than average, right? Most of these people are completely plain. You're probably plain as fuck yourself.

>what good is intelligence if you can't do anything with it?
You'd be surprised. The vast majotrity of "smart" people are so autistic (because being smart is the same as being autistic) that their intelligence goes to waste.

Jesus Christ, why is the illusion of intelligence way more annoying than the lack of intelligence? Ticks me off. Actual smart people do not care about others knowing how smart they are.

Your nihilism doesn't come from your intelligence, it comes from your personality being nihilistic.

This guy is right.

There's no definite correlation between happiness and intelligence, and multiple studies have shown a neutral correlation or even a positive one.
>inb4 [citation needed]
Look it up you fucking faggots.

>I'm sad because I'm too smart 4 normies
>I can never be happy because I'm just too smart, it has nothing to do with the fact that I don't apply myself and whine all the time about not being happy
When will this worn out meme die?

So, because you know some things for certain in a few fields, that makes you more intelligent?

You're referring to practiced knowledge. Something which a lot of people will have their individual mark on.

Everyone is ignorant and you must discover that first before you can be happy. Just keep learning OP, you'll also learn that others didn't get to learn and that everyone is who they are through what they've been through.

Keep going, keep learning and do something with it. You're better than no one.

This by a lot

Though I often find it more in STEM then any other field and usually most prevalent in Freshmen or Sophomores. It often stems from having basically nothing going on in their life and/or having crushed HS (something a retarded monkey could do) which gives them an inflated sense of ego until they hit the real meat of their program and grow the fuck up.

cuz thur dum

>Your nihilism doesn't come from your intelligence, it comes from your personality being nihilistic.
>nihilism
Elaborate. I don't see myself as nihilistic in any way that meaningfully factors into the ability to be happy.

only plebs still believe the "smart people are depressed" ruse.

no, you don't get depressed from pondering life or some bullshit. you get depressed because of non-optimum neurochemistry. you should take drugs.

>you don't get depressed from pondering life or some bullshit. you get depressed because of non-optimum neurochemistry. you should take drugs.
>Stuff exists in a vacuum
Lol.

Of course stuff exists in a vacuum. Mine has some dust, a Cheeto, my girlfriend's hair, and fuck I don't know what else. You're an idiot

No. My mum told me I was real clever.

Everyone claims they're intelligent, and not soon afterwards they demonstrate their lack of wisdom that bottlenecks either way. That's especially true of this board. Smart people can be happy, but that usually requires less ego and mood swings and more modesty and mindfulness.

>Actual smart people do not care about others knowing how smart they are.

I hope more people would figure this out as time goes on.

>moving goalpost

>upper class chemistry honours student recognized by professors and peers as brilliant mind
>after alot of meticulous planning he gets in illegal drug manufacturing flooding the streets with cheap gabanergic candy
>learned the ins and outs of money laundering, law, operating under the radar leaving no trace, and devised an exit plan, and pretty much leaving no stone unturned
>influenced people from time to time with promise that he was unreliable at filling at
>aside from the narcissism he became too impressed with himself all the time and preferred intimidation and emotion in situations that demanded effective communication and cooperation
>obvious at this point his hubris will be his downfall
>committed unnecessary reckless act of violence trying to get involved with unsavoury people out desperation I assume
>entire future thrown into the shitter for a stint behind bars

People place too much focus on intelligence behaving as if it will render them immune from making stupid mistakes.

You're not miserable becuase you're smart. You're miserable becuase your interpersonal skills blow. When life is filled with shallow and unfulfilling relationships, you gonna be sad.

that's a fascinating story

>but not as happy as plainer people
How would you know?

This

You're probably convincing yourself you're smart to make up for the fact that no one likes you. No wonder your so sad. If the only thing I had going for me is my supposed "intelligence", I'd have kill myself a long time ago

I'll let you in on a secret. You know the incredibly intelligent people we talk about? We talk about them based on their accomplishments. It takes a truly great mind to come up with inventions such as the lightbulb or the automobile. And no one says Einstein is an idiot. They're not debating it because he actually did shit.

Do intelligent people get sad? Yeah I think they do because they're, well, human. But it's not cuz of their intelligence or anything. Tumblr proves to me again and again that you can be upset all the time and be a total fucking idiot

>there's like a billion people with engineering degrees
>1/7th of the world has majored in engineering
why did my teacher say this major was profitable again?

"more intelligent than average"
"plainer people"
'IQ test proven"

You're like that 5.5/10 girl that thinks shes attractive. You strike me as an insufferable human-being, good day sir.

Here's a stupid man's opinion:

I'd argue you're 50% correct, mostly. Intelligence is defined as the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

I've always seen curiosity, imagination, memory, and problem-solving as an indication of intelligence.

Production is a poor measurement of intellect. Effort can compensate for a lack of ability. Many scientific discoveries are purely accidental or the result of an experiment in favorable conditions.

Having an engineering degree from a top 40 university and a 3.5 GPA means you're probably intelligent.

Einstein has always seemed disconnected rather then sad to me.

Newton was borderline deluded. An imagination run amok?

Feynman's biography painted him as a happy man.

Amen, keep preaching the truth.

Ignorance is bliss.