I'm hoping to diversify my reading list...

I'm hoping to diversify my reading list, and I'm looking for some good contemporary novels written by African-American men. Can I get some suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

superstringtheory.com/people/jgates.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gAuisFJ6sBk
youtu.be/iGMV2rRrH1E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A Brief History of Seven Killings
Pimp

Pimp: The Story of my Life by Iceberg Slim

Ooga Booga Nahahahaua' by Kimba Numba Tumba

Between the World and Me

>A Brief History of Seven Killings
this

...coupling unification...

Read something by Jim Gates ?

Gates Appeared on the 2011 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate

Gates received his B.A. and Ph.D. at MIT

Assuming this isnt bait, why would you do this? Racial "diversity" is literally meaningless and prejudiced based on the fact you think a skin color presupposses a diversity of experience and ideas.

String People: Jim Gates

superstringtheory.com/people/jgates.html

>String People: Jim Gates

What picture/s/ do your threads paint?

Awesome Thread painting..you will love it
youtube.com/watch?v=gAuisFJ6sBk

We live in a mediacentric society filled with many affective sign systems

positive emotions, such as love and appreciation, in generating coherence both in the heart field and in social fields

Human beings have evolved to convey meaningful information through storytelling

Transmediation can refer to the process of "responding to cultural texts in a range of sign systems -- art, movement, sculpture, dance, music, and so on -- as well as in words."

Are your ratio's are golden ?

Memes, Matter Creation, Exclusive things ?

Sippin' On Sunshine ?

youtu.be/iGMV2rRrH1E

The Sellout by Paul Beatty

Nathaniel Mackey if you like jazz

Jazz if you like Nathaniel Mackey

Dreamer by Charles Johnson Is a pretty interesting take on the doppleganger genre, following the story of an at times nihilistic lookalike of MLK Jr. Used by the latter's campaign as a stunt double, if you will.

Philadelphia Fire is about how the firebombing of a cult headquarters in a row house affects the community surrounding it.

It's by John Edgar Wideman

These

I agree with this in the sense that you shouldn't "diversify" your reading with the intention that you're going to get THE "black perspective" from black authors, but it's great to be curious about potential differences of perspective influenced by race and seek to include in your collection of good books some good books by authors with very different backgrounds from yourself. I understand frustration with college kids who are up their own ass because they read a couple books written by minorities, but if you think this basic encouragement to have a well rounded base of knowledge is SJWism your mind has been polluted by altright garbage.

Recs:
>Invisible Man
Novel about universal struggles for identity, the struggle to be seen as and to live as an individual, fighting against your own nostalgias for group belonging and an outside insistence on where you fit into society.
>Their Eyes Were Watching God
Novel with beautiful prose set entirely within deep south all black communities, a young woman being passed around from man to man, in its time was criticized for being too critical of black culture, though the author refused to apologize for what she insisted was not a demonization but an honest and well rounded portrayal of real people.
>I Wonder As I Wonder
Autobiography of Langston Hughes, as he travels the world to Haiti, the Soviet Union, Japan, and the Spanish Civil War. Includes his disillusionment with the USSR, his unique status as a black man representing the US abroad in the 30s, among many other social observations. Also includes many encounters and adventures with other writers, including an anecdote with Hemingway in wartime Madrid.

Hope this helped

Not contemporary, but read Black Jacobins anyway.

except wanting to diversify by reading black authors or whatever means there is something diverse intrinsic to the skin color. you're assuming a black author has diverse ideas/experiences due to their skin color, which is racist

Consider a black author that grew up in Vermont with a typical New England childhood versus a white author that grew up in Nepal. by your reasoning the black author is more diverse

Skin color should be completely 100% irrelevant and if you want to diversify your reading then look into the author's life instead of making a judgement based on skin color

you should read james baldwin

The Known World by Edward P Jones

It's about a black slave owner in Virginia. It starts off a bit slow, almost seeming like it's trying to hard to be historically accurate, but once it get's past that you'll find yourself super depressed in no time. It also won the Pulitzer Prize if that means anything to you.

>you're assuming a black author has diverse ideas/experiences due to their skin color

Sure in a utopian world this mightn't be the case, but in our current world people ARE (or certainly have been in the near past) judged based solely on their skin colour. And thus their experiences will be coloured (no pun intended) by that fact.

Shit I stupidly only read the first paragraph of your post before replying. Apologies, you're right.

>A Brief History of Seven Killings
i'd agree with this, only Marlon James isn't african-american. he's jamaican.