God tier cheese?

I'm trying to get into fine cheese but I don't know where to start. I'm just trying a lot of different kinds basically.

Any types to avoid? Any good brands?

Start with something like this until you can refine your tastes a bit. Kind of strong upon first taste but mellows out after a bit. Pairs well with any IPA or white wine. Try the white and yellow and go from their.

Cheddar would be a good place to start. I personally love Gouda, 2-4yr. Has a nice sharpness to it and some can even had a cheddar like taste. L'Amuse Gouda is my favorite.

Goat cheeses tend to be a little tart. Brie cheeses are soft and usually really good but I avoid them because the rind is annoying as hell on those small ass wedges.

Visit a cheese shop and ask around they'd love to help and you can even have samples

>go to decent cheese store
>purchase 2-3 different varieties
>go back and buy 2-3 different cheeses based on the people working there's suggestions when you tell them what you liked/didn't like about what you tried the previous time(s)
>repeat

Caveman Blue is fucking god-tier. Costs $30-$35 a pound but is worth every penny

>uncultured plebs need not reply

>""""""""cheese product"""""""
>literally not even cheese

I travel a lot and sometimes I'm in a big city with specialty shops, but more often I just have a grocery store I can find with a decent cheese section, but I will keep this suggestion in mind.

I've mostly been trying cheddar, swiss, and spicy cheesed like pepperjack

Swiss cheese seems like a meme. Not much character.

Where can I find it?

I'm not sure where you're at but there's a national chain called Murray's that I'm fortunate enough to live right by that gives out samples and such.
I'm thinking other cheese specialty shops also carry it

"Swiss cheese" sold in America is made in America. What you want is emmentaler or gruyère

I had some friends from Switzerland who ate the wildest looking cheeses. They lived in Kansas though. So I know you can find good stuff in the States...somewhere.

I will search for those brands

Époisses if you want to try runny French cheese at its finest

Montgomery cheddar if you want to experience the manliest of British cheeses

I would recommend going to a good cheese shop. The decent places will be able to tell you about the cheeses and recommend some to you. They'll also give you free samples to try if you ask. Most cheeses should be eaten at room temperature

Personally I like Fourme d'Ambert when it comes to 'affordable' blue cheese, shouldn't be too hard to find

Go buy yourself a fat chunk of cambozola.

those aren't brands, rather they are types of cheeses

Fuuuggg. I have a long road ahead of me to cheese greatness

1000 day old Gouda.

MY FUCKING DICK

Just a quick hijack, can I get a recommendation for some good strong cheeses that travel well in a backpack? My local hills have greened from the recent rain and I want to climb on top of one and eat a hunk of cheese with homemade bread and some stout

kek

a long period of de-flyoverfication awaits you

Aye nigga

Start with stilton. You probably won't like it at first but you must eat it all. Then work your way progressively down to milder and milder cheeses until they start to taste good to you. Then work your way back up to stilton in reverse. By the time you get back to where you started you'll realize that stilton is best cheese.

What sort of cheese are you looking for? Hard, runny, goat, blue?

Um I don't really care. I'm game for whatever is good. I feel like soft cheese is 90% of the only cheese I've tried. I've had expensive blue cheese and hard cheese as a kid but I was too young to appreciate it

Thanks. This I will do.

Hard, preferably. I have a cheddar in mind but that seemed too obvious. Just wanted some creative suggestions. I hadn't even considered I would be able to bring something soft up with me. It's a bit of a hike

Oh shit that was for you my fault user

Worked at a cheese store owned by a Dutchman a few years ago. Here's a few tips you should know.

>age of cheese matters
3 month old gouda will taste nothing like gouda that's been aged a year
>pasteurization
this tends to be polarizing, as people either love or hate the taste of unpasteurized cheese
>smoked
most commercial smoked cheeses are a meme that use liquid smoke, though actual smoked cheeses are great

Montgomery cheddar is a classic cheese for hikes and outdoor stuff. Hard and dry and packed with flavour. It can last for months so there's no need to worry about keeping it in your rucksack for a few days. It also won't stink up your belongings

You might also want to look into hard sheeps and goats cheeses, there are lots of interesting varieties like manchego, garrotxa and crottin de chavignol

I wouldn't really want to bring soft cheese with me on a hike with me but if it's young then I guess there's no problem. An unripe brie or camembert won't melt on you. Blue cheese can get a bit messy though, I would avoid that

Aged Cheddar or Gouda.
They both are nice and hard and have really intense flavors.

1000 day gouda.

Thanks gentlemen

Good noob tier soft cheese. Very mild and quite the crowd pleaser. Spread it on some baguette or crackers, goes great with strawberries.