A friend of mine in the service said when he was stationed in the middle east...

A friend of mine in the service said when he was stationed in the middle east, his ship would routinely reach temps of 190F. That can't be right?

Everything I've read says you'll pass out of hyperthermia within 10 minutes of 130F and higher.

Other urls found in this thread:

earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/HottestSpot/page2.php
quora.com/What-is-the-highest-temperature-a-human-being-can-survive
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauna#Modern_saunas
m.youtube.com/watch?v=jiFJJ7aFxoM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Should elaborate this was the Persian Gulf on a U.S. navy ship during summer.

Your skin would literally melt off at 190F or something, right? I don't know what boots they used, but surely even those would stick to the deck?

The higher-ups probably just brainwashed him into believing that it was that hot on the ship so he could feel super "macho" and that he was going through a grand challenge, instead of just sitting on a ship.

or he knows its bullshit and needs to feel like a hero for sitting on a ship

Former line cook here. Hottest kitchen I ever worked in was about 120. My body adapted to that after a couple of weeks, and I ended up able to shrug it off okay as long as I stayed hydrated. Would drink about two full pitchers of water per shift without pissing- all came out as sweat.

But I can't see being able to take much more than that- certainly not 70 degrees more. I think your friend's exaggerating.

Is he talking explicitly about the metal on the ship? I could believe that if it just sat in the water getting hit by light/ocean reflections all day.

But yeah the air temperature wouldn't be near that.

here

Would also like to add that if the air temp was 190, you could cook a chicken breast by simply letting it sit out for a few hours.

I imagine you could probably slow cook a person that way too.

Thanks everyone.

What do y'all think the actual air temp would be on such a ship?

Hottest ambient temp ever recorded on earth was 134 F (57 C), in Death Valley, California. I could see it getting up around 120 outside, maybe add ten or fifteen degrees near the engines. But if the Navy wants a crew that's physically capable of doing anything without collapsing, they'd find some way to keep them cool once it got that hot.

Didn't some part of Iran reach 170 F a few summers ago? I remember reading about it.

That was a heat index. "Feels like" temp. Actual temp was around 115-120.

>Seven years of satellite temperature data show that the Lut Desert in Iran is the hottest spot on Earth. The Lut Desert was hottest during 5 of the 7 years, and had the highest temperature overall: 70.7°C (159.3°F) in 2005.

earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/HottestSpot/page2.php

According to that article, that's a Land Surface Temperature, not an air temp. That said, I'm probably just about out of my depth here. Meteorologyfags and medfags need to step in.

We don't know the material the ship was made out of, whether or not you're asking about air temp for the air directly over the ship or in a wide-reaching area. Even with that info, it'd probably be pretty hard to determine air temp from some vague anecdote about you're friend overestimating temperature. You're best bet is just to take that data from the user and realize that "at most" the ship itself was probably sitting at that high temp and the air was slightly cooler.

quora.com/What-is-the-highest-temperature-a-human-being-can-survive

He said one hundred nineteen.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauna#Modern_saunas

What the fuck is Fahrenheit?
Fuck off with your retarded queen measure system.

90°C is impossible on earth, the highest record is 50°C.

surface temperature of objects that spend all day in the sun are probably right around 190F. air temperature was probably no higher than 115F to 120F at the worst.

60°C etheopian salt flats. Looks like Mars. m.youtube.com/watch?v=jiFJJ7aFxoM

dude it was 119 not 190 you probably misheard him

>Everything I've read says you'll pass out of hyperthermia within 10 minutes of 130F and higher.
That would mean you would pass out within 10 minutes in a ridiculously cold sauna.

>literally no one in the entire thread knows how bofy temperature works and why people sweat
sasuga Veeky Forums

>fahrenfags

a room of 0 degrees cools by half its temp.

A ship at anchor can easily reach 60C on this places of the world
But that is the ship, not the atmospheric air
So standing outside would make things a bit more uncomfortable than they actually are
And there is Air Conditioning, unless your friends serves on an Ironclad

A room of 0 degrees Fahrenheit cools by half its temp.