You may only post in this thread if your University is ranked top 20

You may only post in this thread if your University is ranked top 20.

topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2016

Other urls found in this thread:

cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/faqs/ai/old_ai_general/part1/faq-doc-4.html
admission.princeton.edu/financialaid
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Top 20 professional scammers in the world :^)

FUCK YES
SINGAPORE SINGAPORE SINGAPORE

It is required to post your student ID to a top 20 university to post here. Brainlets please go.

Enjoy getting raped on tuition, faggots. Cambridge UK is trash.

>tfw your uni was almost in the top50 but the capitalisto-nationalistic government made it drop out from top100

What if I post in it anyway?
What if I'm a high school dropout?
Like, wow man, what if?

>falling for the university meme

>

Diploma mill circlejerk!

But I'm a grad student, so these are meaningless. Mine is top 20 for my field by the same ranking service.

Also, rankings are fucking stupid, and it would do you all some good to realize this.

>QS

If america so smart why aren't they so smart as every one else?

What uni is that? Is it in the UK?

Mine's in the top 20 as a uni and subject wise; though I care more about its presence here
cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/faqs/ai/old_ai_general/part1/faq-doc-4.html

Not even correct photo of screen
>Post student ID

Mad coz bad

Helsinki, it was the third best nordic one if I remember correctly

>ETH Zurich
Garbage brainlet school that teaches OOP for everything. Every single class, OOP and more OOP.

>MIT
Has been torn apart on HN lately for the slip shoddy work their PhDs and graduates have been doing. MIT turned to shit about 2008 or so and has never recovered.

>Stanford
Kek

>Cambridge
This should be #1. Look at the Mathematical Tripos requirements, it's the hardest undergrad anywhere on earth. It makes Harvard Math 55a/b look like a joke. If you are serious about Math, you go to Cambridge and take the tripos.

>Harvard
Only for med school, and law

>NUS
Kek, okay now this is paid for list. Look at their undergrad offerings and courses, this would be considered a diploma mill in the US

>MIT
>Torn apart
Link pls

>Stanford
>Kek
Why?

>Harvard
Still doesn't change the fact that many people still believe that it is the most prestigious university in the US.

>Cambridge
It's in the UK, not the US (where all the innovation is taking place, not to mention world's only superpower)

>prince town
>not in top 10
How the mighty have fallened

When I was little, I thought Harvard was called Harvard because it's hard.

>not to mention world's only superpower

Okay, so you are trolling. Good to know. I almost believed that there was someone this stupid but when you go this far you make it too obvious for us.

Thanks for thinking about our mental health and good memes. You put us over the edge and just in your last sentence let us know that it is a ruse so we can calm down.

wew

Rankings are idiodic. A schools good if it gives you the resources to learn and innovate (i.e. good profs, money, research opportunities, etc)

Cal/ucla are considered top 10 for dumb reasons same as they're considered 20-30 on this list for dumb reasons.

>good profs
>ucla are considered top 10 for dumb reasons

UCLA has a field medalist as a professor. Professors don't get better than that man.

>inb4 that's just mathematics

Is there literally any other degree that matters?

why did you save this picture of my student ID

Running around screaming how you're such an elite for learning first year chemistry at an institution reputable for mainly it's research is brainlet behaviour.

>UCLA has a field medalist as a professor.
If that's your criterion, then ENS Ulm beats every single university on that list.

This isn't yours you brainless hack. I was in that thread.

Hey man i attend ucla myself im not crapping on it. Just saying that most schools rankings are unjustified, prestige is outdated compared to hard work and innovation

>caltech

Tbh students from caltech aren't getting the education students fro, these other schools are getting. I know this is Veeky Forums, but having actually quality humanities classes is important towards ones growth as a thinker and intellectual

>UCLA has a field medalist as a professor. Professors don't get better than that man.

teaching is more important than research (unless for rankings of course)

i'd rather have a completely unimportant prof teaching me good stuff than someone really prestigious
who can't teach at all.

but then again i study in germany and university rankings don't mean shit here, because the STEM education is good at almost every university

I went to one ranked 130 to 145 only because it was my nearest university. It was laughable shit. Low content low depth courses and dumb normiescum students.

Looking at the courses on MIT OCW makes me so jelly

You go to the school that is best for your specific field. So if it's computer sceince you try and get into Carnagie Mellon. If it's medical school you try to get into Harvard or Johns Hopkins.

A standard ivy league school will be good enough so you can jump to the above schools for graduate study. Ivy league typically has no tuition, they wave it all away something like 96% of Harvard grads have no student debt as they offer full grants even to millionaire trust fund kids if you keep your grades up. Go to a state school and you're paying through the ass no grants available.

Prestige only goes so far anyway, and really only relates to graduate study not undergrad. For example Applebaum from the Tor Project is now the PhD understudy of Tanja Lange one of the world's best cryptographers and he didn't even go to university, he's self taught. It is possible to skip undergrad and go to PhD with special permission of the department heads by proving to them you know the underlying material.

Gotta keep in mind that there do exist the middle class students like myself that get close to zero aid from the Ivys and picky private schools and have to settle with a state school.

Luckily im from california so i didnt really get a short end of the stick

>You go to the school that is best for your specific field.
It make next to no difference in undergrad, especially since 17 year olds aren't a great judge of what they'll enjoy doing.

>UW
>59th
whelp....i guess 59th isn't all that bad.

I'm posting from a top 200 university and there's nothing you can do about it.

>im posting from a top 300,000 university and I' proud of it!
International rankings are meme-tier
If you aren't going to the best university in your country, you're just paying for babysitting.
there's no excuse to be such a lazy stupid retard that you have to settle for some shitty fucking community-college level bullshit school

I understand that it's disproportionately difficult to get into a top US school as someone living in fucking bulgaria, but if you're American, you'd better be going to the best.

>If you aren't going to the best university in your country, you have to settle for some shitty fucking community-college level bullshit school
If only we could have some schools that weren't the absolute best but were still legitimate schools.

Whatever you say brainlet.

UW seattle is great for engineering and CS yo, not a bad school by any means

These rankings pretty much only matter to people who intend to do research at a university. It doesn't say anything about the quality of education, especially if you are an undergrad.

Yknow what, youre absolutrly right! Paying 70k USD a year for the best school in my country is such an affordable and obvious thing to do if Im not lazy. Especially for undergrad! Thanks user!

i know this girl she goes to my school

chem eng and considering going for bio sci for grad. Maybe something like immunology or genetics. We'll see.

70k for nothing more than textbooks, exams, and to be rushed through some shitty labs. Half of it fees are just health dental insurance and stupid student union shit pushed by people who deserve cancer.

Yeah. It's very hard to quantify the quality of education though.
Some French ranking tried to do it with engineering schools by "the percentage of alumni who are in the directorial board of a Fortune 500 company". The problem with that is it tells you as much about the quality of the education than it tells you about nepotism, about how conservative the management culture in your country is, and about the educational tradition of your upper class. So not so great.

Really the best quantitative ranking you can get is student's preference.
As in, to compare two colleges, you look at all the students who applied and were accepted in both, and see which one they chose.
The problem with that ranking is it tells you more about prestige than the actual current quality of education, but there isn't much better you can do.

>Edinburgh ranked 19th

I can live with this.

>inb4 post student card

Don't have it yet, I have to pick it up on the 19th.

They do you just need to work the grant system. The most debt anybody grads an Ivy league with is max $10k even the middle class students with parents who make over $200k and technically don't qualify for grants.

Harvard and Princeton ect make all their money from patenting research. If you're a top student they will pay you to go there (literally, like free room+board and "clothing stipend" which is more than generous, enough to live off and not need to work).

However this assumes you are math olympiad material, or at least top student in your entire state OR your highschool teachers have connections to harvard staff who can crony you in there providing you're still one of the top students in the state.

>i am not special
>my school is special
>i am now special

t. insecure freshman

The student union shit is criminal, they fleece you of fees to pay for ridiculous bullshit. It's all designed so some non STEM student with a ton of spare time can weasel themselves into an income for themselves and all their friends. "We now have created the diversity and inclusion society with myself as paid chair, we will be subtracting $5 from each studen union dues to cover this new office".

The main point in university for me was networking, finding other people in your field so you can network and then make your own business, or use that extended network to land you a prestigous position at some well paying corp should one of you get hired and then can recommend all your friends.

It's also good for access to latest research, as typically you get access to paywall protected papers but this is not so much important anymore as scihub and other piracy avenues exist.

this

My dad's business partner is middle class. His daughter went to Yale for about the cost of going to a lower end state school.

Granted since she is middle class, she had to be top percentile to get in.

But during her senior year she made the top of honors and the school refunded the cost for that year.

There are 8 universities universally seen as better than Edinburgh in the UK

schools filled with poo in loo, jews and chinese

sprinkled with a few autistic white people and blacks.

I can still live with that. Also according to that list there's only 4 above it

>90% of Veeky Forums is in first year undergrad or in high school
>thinking ranking applies to you
>he thinks he'll be able to even utilize the research funds and facilities at top 10 universities.

>90%
citiation needed for this number

Mee töihin hippi

Those Ivy league schools make billions in research patents. They are essentially given tax money grants to work on research, and are allowed to privately patent it and make income.

Harvard/Princeton/Yale/Cornell ect are so rich they don't even need to charge for tuition. Think about all the drug patents they hold that are currently on the market licensed to Pfizer and other megacorps. Not to mention all the tax free real estate speculation Harvard engages in plus they have hedge funds in the billions. Rich as fuck.

If you perform in those schools your tuition is hand waved away. admission.princeton.edu/financialaid

dominus illuminatio mea, sucker

PORTLAND STATE HERE

IM IN UR THREAD, PLEBIN' UR VIBE

GO VIKINGS WOOO

Paskapostasin töissä ebin :D

SUOMI FINLAND PERKELE

>he isn't in a 400-500 school shitposting on Veeky Forums

lmao

Sadly it isnt really an option when parents dont want to "theoretically" not have to pay much. I called the Ivys I got into asking how to make their school affordable and they told me to sell my parents 2 bedroom apartment and become homeless. If even the slight chance existed that you'd have to pay full price, most parents wont even consider a school.

not if you're asian-american and/or autistic

No, even if you are. There's a reason UChicago has the most Nobel laureates of any school, and it has extensive humanities requirements.

MÄMMI SAUNA KIRVES LUMIHANKI JA VIIMEINEN ERHE

TORILLA TAVATAAN

KIITOS SOTIEMME VETERAANIT 1995

>If you are serious about math, you go to Scambridge and take the tryhardpos

Skill consists in the rate at which one can solve and more especially write out the solution of problems. It is excellent training of a kind, but there is not time for studying fundamental principles, still less for making any philosophical investigations. Mathematical insight is something higher than skill in solving problems; consequently the senior wrangler has """""""""""""""""""""""not"" always turned out the most distinguished mathematician in after life.

>Academic reputation (40%)
>they believe the best work is currently taking place within their own field of expertise

>Employer reputation (10%)
>asking employers to identify the universities they perceive to be producing the best graduates

>Student-to-faculty ratio (20%)
>This is a simple measure of the number of academic staff employed relative to the number of students enrolled.

>Citations per faculty (20%)
>This indicator aims to assess universities’ research impact. A ‘citation’ means a piece of research being cited (referred to) within another piece of research.

>International faculty ratio (5%) & international student ratio (5%)
>This is based on the proportion of international students and faculty members at the institution

>UChicago has the most """""""""""""""Nobel"""""""""""""""""" laureates

Reminder that the Nobel memorial prize in economics IS NOT a real Nobel prize.

It's certainly livable considering the entry requirements. What are you studying? And do you know how/when we go about choosing additional courses?

>What are you studying?
I'm about to start my M.Sc.

>And do you know how/when we go about choosing additional courses?

Has this not been communicated to you yet? For me I have to meet with my tutor, I didn't go there for undergrad so I'm not sure how that's done.

It's just as prestigious. Point remains.

>tfw used to go to UCL
>was autistically obsessed with it's prestige
>even had a chip on my shoulder that it wasn't oxbridge or even Imperial
>some life shit happened, homeless, unwell
>realized that I was in some sheltered bubble totally out of touch with the real world
>pure science is unemployable
>"prestige" won't change that
>decide to switch to engineering
>decide not to do it at UCL because actually sick of the student snootiness and weird rules and regulations
>go to some ex-poly
>actually have a life for once
>graduate
>now on £60k
It doesn't fucking matter kids. The ranking is actually for research which has fuck all to do with undergrad. In fact I would say that going to a high ranked university for undergrad is bad because excess work is thrown at you for no reason other than to uphold the name of the institution and professors wrapped up in research are totally unhelpful. You just end up a burned out shell for the same fully accredited degree that was available at Hackney Poly or whatever.

Ah, I did get an email about meeting with my personal tutor, so it'd seem reasonable that it's done (or at least the process is started) then.

>>inb4 post student card
>Don't have it yet, I have to pick it up on the 19th.
no offence m8 but if you were going to lie you would have picked a better uni haha. congrats though.

college, course, fäm?

Weren't many of these schools accused of grade inflation? To me that seems to devalue their worth a lot.

Unfortunately we don't though.
>Paying tuition
Oh so you aren't bright enough to get it waived?
Lmaoing@ur life u fuken loser

>Go to best uni in country
> :D
>Canada
>D:

not sure mate.
obviously top unis are going to give their students more work cause they'd kill themselves with boredom given a course from a mediocre uni. if you end up like a burnt (not burned you yank) out shell then you were never meant to be there in the first place and got through the filtering process by accident.

i doubt oxbridge and imperial need to protect their reputation. maybe some uni at the bottom end of the russel group.

most people at prestigious uni's arent their to become an engineer. if thats all you want then i agree, go to a uni with a vocational approach and get a industrial placement for a year. (hackney poly is a bit far).

congrats on the money thats decent

My undergrad programme has an integrated masters and (IIRC) increased chances of acceptance for doctoral study. So in some cases, such as mine, they genuinely do matter.

>grade inflation

how about "these schools only let in extremely autistic overachievers who would commit suicide if they got a B+ and by extension their overall school GPA averages are higher than most"

Harvard doesn't teach significantly harder material than your average state school, it's renowned for only accepting and graduating a certain caliber of student

how is UVA not even on the list? It should be around the Top 20

my dad went to a state uni that isn't nearly the best school in the country and he makes $500,000 so

I D K F A M T B H

Wow, i...I guess I never thought of it that way

>everyone who isn't in the top 1% is terrible and doesn't deserve an education
do you think schools should be limited to aryans as well

Thanks.

So they are paying to go to a school that tries it's hardest not to hurt their students feelings? That's even more pathetic.

Do you know if the grad programs in NUS for bio are any good?

There is no way open courseware is the real deal, it is literally the same shit we learn at my uni.

>Reminder that NUS is nowhere near top 20 in the meaningful aspects.

My university offers an exchange to NUS and it's basically meme level trash with chink lecturers who barely speak comprehendable english. The people who were dumb enough to choose NUS for abroad studies even regret it which isnt something common to admit. Even Singaporeans bash NUS.

Caltech checking in here

>Read lecture notes for Introductory linear algebra
>Be surprised when it covers the same topics that I did.

Nigga, what are you expecting? Everyone has to get in at the ground floor, just those at MIT are expected to get to the top quicker, easier, and then can cram more material in.

So much this, the professors are absolute garbage at teaching because they think that first-year students can keep up with their train of thought and that everything they're saying is intuitive.

My grades are getting bombed by all the times they introduce a rather specific variable without saying what the variable is.

>23
Time for Sudoku

I went over the entire course, and not for math.

this whole thread is a meme and you have fallen for bait
what did you expect?

Yes.

pls don't tell me you think UofT, Waterloo, or UBC are the best in Canada