What's your policy on taking cutlery and glassware from a restaurant?

What's your policy on taking cutlery and glassware from a restaurant?

Sometimes I ask if a glass is for sale and the server just says it's *okay*, in which case I leave a nice tip, but often I just get drunk and pocket a piece here and there that I happen to like.

And you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=34WL_07WEIs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When drunk I stuff pint glasses into all my pockets like some kind of kleptomaniac dishpig and walk past bouncers hoping they don't hear the gentle clinking.

I take all the plastic utensils from fast food places every time I go to one. I'm probably a record holder for most sporks ever.

depends

cutlery no

glassware yes if it has their logo or memorabilia type of sentiment to it

why the fuck would you take a mismatch set of cutlery

Never ever did that or even thought about it. Also I ever got drunk in a restaurant.
And now that you mention it, I would not like to steal any of that because I would need an entire, complete set, not just single items.

i've taken thousands of chopsticks from noodles and co.

Are they made of wood? That could be some good kindling if you ever need to start emergency fires for survival.

>why the fuck would you take a mismatch set of cutlery

I've taken some stuff I keep in my knife roll for plating spoons and a nice butter knife I can use to shuck oysters with.

I also like ice tea spoons and cute little dessert spoons to eat desserts with at home with when I'm drunk.

It's never occurred to me to steal from a restaurant. I don't even mean that to sound like I'm being judgmental (even though I'm judging you somewhat).

The thing is, a lot of Veeky Forums is actually poor which is why there is he alk threads, fast food, pizza, frozen and junk foods. We aspire for something better and to define us as cooks/chefs/the ability to provide but when it comes down to it it is mcdoubles and cup noodles and cheap cuts of meat cooked all wrong in a shitty kitchen in shitty pans. Most restaurants have silverware delivered in boxes of like 20 forks, 20 spoons, 20 knives or even 40 or more in a little white box and it's nothing to them. Glasses with their insignia are a little more but still not that much cost to them. So, we take them if we can just to help us out a little.

I'm not poor. Just an alcoholic and something of a klepto and food fetishist.

>almost all my cutlery is stolen
>all of my cups are stolen
>most of my bowls
>all of my plates
>salt/pepper grinders
>take all condiment packages i can
I've taken menus before too. Restaurants usually have nice and unique stuff.

I happily steal pint glasses from bars/pubs if their beer is all ridiculously overpriced (pretty much anywhere in London, for a start). Never really thought about doing it with cutlery though

I go to a craft beer place so they have a lot of glasses with nice artwork, etched on brewery names, etc. They get broken and dropped a lot, so if I see one I like I just ask the bartender and leave a little extra on the tip.

Unfortunately I'm that guy that will request plastic flatware in any restaurant I go into. Met with a lot of weird looks and only one refusal (fuck you mortons). But I worked too long in food service to trust any kitchen spic to properly clean flatware

Fuck'em if they can't take a joke. Even if they caught you, which they won't, they're not calling the cops.

Actually, I quit eating in restaurants 5 years ago for precisely that reason. Haven't had stomach flu or so much as a cold since then. What triggered me the last time was a huge glob of food particles on the fork where dinner for 2 was 80 bucks 5 years ago.

That's when I started focusing on cooking at home.

I've never even considered stealing glassware,

If I'm short on silverware I'll grab spoon/knife/fork

yes, my cutlery is very mis matched, but I like it.

What the fuck people actually do this? This is coming from a self-described cheapskate

The most I've ever seen is my friends will keep the beer bottles after they finish at a bar if it's a nice bottle, but never any of the actual glasses/silverware/plates

To the people complaining about mismatch: just frequent the same establishment or chain... Very nice way to get a matching set.

Everyone does this except you. Your friends are doing it and you don't even know. How do you think that wench you screwed the other night where she invited you for dinner had a perfectly coordinated set of cutlery? Walmart? Not her. No sir. Pilfering, that's how.

thieves are disgusting pieces of shit. Fuck you OP.

>thieves

It's not thievery, nowhere does it say not to take the stuff.
Also, it keeps the companies that supply the glasses and forks in business.

Fuck off. They're already raping you with 400% markup on drinks. They can renumerate the cost of a couple of pieces of fine cutlery. Take what you can from the bastards, they'll certainly take all they can from you.

Thieves have no pride or honor

Get a job, losers

I do have a job, I sell cutlery and drinking glasses to bars and restaurants.

This is going to be a new trend in the prepper community, I bet.

Sure you do, Jamal

A year ago we had a customer come into our restaurant and return a sombrero they had stolen while they were drunk like 20 years ago (not even a mexican place so IDK why the fuck we had a sombrero).

I have a bunch of stolen kitchen shit but I didn't actually steal any of it. All came from roommates and coworkers who ended up leaving it with me. It's fairly common for restaurant employees to embezzle to some degree. I try to stay away from it because it's a slippery slope IMO. One day you're just taking a fork home, 20 years down the road you end up like the mexican line cook we had who stole 20lb logs of ground beef at a time and whole cases of steaks.

It sounds like you have a good career that you can retire from

I stole a wooden cutting board from a restaurant once. We ordered some appetizers and they came on this rustic cutting board, but no waiter ever took it back even after we had dessert, so I stuffed it in my bag.

>it's a slippery slope

My entire home kitchen is full of third and 9 pans taken from restaurants.

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you send back my 9 pans now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will break your carcass down to primal cuts.

you people disgust me. please kill yourselves.

Top kek m8

>cute little dessert spoons to eat desserts with at home with when I'm drunk

we should hang out, user.

ALL THIEVES SHOULD BE HANGED.

>*returns home to find hacksaw, cleaver, and scimitar have all been taken*

How's life with sand in your asscrack all the time?

UNPLEASANT

But those virgins gonna make it alright, right? RIGHT??

i've never stolen glassware or utensils, but i have taken a couple small sauce cups/dishes. they just get stuck in to-go boxes with the sauce still in them.

Just pint glasses when I'm hammered, my old flat had about 40 Tennents pint glasses that my mates and I had stolen over the years, but my girlfriend wouldn't let me keep them when we moved in together, sad times

Underrated.

>Mom has a old A&W mug she snagged from the 70's.
>All I do is unscrew the salt shakers.

I was working construction one summer as an undergrad and we were in some shit town of like 3,000 people for the week. I was shit-faced on our day off and staggering around town in the afternoon like I was the cock of the walk.

Anyway, we went to a McDonald's and they had a Grimace stuffed animal that looked like it was about 30 years old, behind the counter. I used to call my gf Grimace at the time, just an odd nickname to tease her (she wasn't fat, I forget how it came about). I hadn't seen her in 2 months and dwelled on that fucker all day and eventually came back to steal it the next week when it was our last day off in that town.

I got sufficiently wasted and decided to go through with it. I jumped over the counter and had it but some punk cashier grabbed me by the throat HARD (like my adam's apple) and sucker punched me in the jaw. I retched, threw up a bit, and punched him in the nose purely on reflex. Blood gushed everyone, people screamed, and I ran with my Grimace. Unfortunately, this guy was a local track star and he got me before I could get to the trucks, a couple blocks away. I was ready to kick his ass when he told me his parents owned that McDonald's and his dad bought the toy for his mom god knows when because it was his pet name for her. The guy was in tears and said he didn't give a shit about his nose but to give it back and he wouldn't call the cops.

I felt like shit, he was just a young guy doing his job and protecting his parents' franchise. I apologized and told him my gf-Grimace connection and we started to laugh and the scene was totally defused.

Then I saw my buddy in the truck coming by slow and I lost all my let-bygones-be-bygones attitude, punched him in the gut and winded him, pushed him down before he knew what hit him, and hopped in the truck and laid low at the hotel.

The cops looked for me but no one told them anything and we were gone the next morning at 5 am.

Good times.

Do you still have it?

She lost it less than a year later, I think her roommate stole it when she moved out.

I broke up with her a little after that, not because of the Grimace but that certainly didn't help lol

I used to take a&w mugs before i realized the money went to charity kek

I definitely had a bunch of those in my house back in the day.

Those mugs are great. Super strong. I still have a couple that are 30 years old that I drink beer out of.

I have two in my house and I've never even been to a fucking A&W, I don't even know where they came from.

Some beer bars will have cool pints
I'll pilfer one on a given night, but I really don't feel too cut up about it since it's $5+ bucks a pour at the places that have glasses worth taking

As a yuropoor I fail to understand why you'd take stuff from the restaurant

Maybe it's a cultural thing in america

Gluttony and stealing from 'the man'.

I used to pocket a used glass or two, now I focus on keeping my steak knife.

This thread is packed full of nigger shitheads but you take the biscuit.

You truly are subhuman scum.

I'm glad your life is shit.

bump

What do you think of my new fork, Veeky Forums?

Just picked it up about an hour ago from a local brew pub type place. They keep the utensils in communal containers on the middle of the table and it's all mismatched to begin with.

They got rid of my favorite menu item. It's not a justification, but it's there for anyone who needs one.

You're a klepto and you have no idea how much restaurants pay for dishes/cutlery

this.

our manager will regularly rummage through the dish areas trash cans for cutlery that servers drop in the trash.

I jack there sea salt and pepper grinders all the time. They are so nice.

>all this rationalization

It doesn't matter if they can afford to take the hit or not, stealing is stealing.

damn bro you're hardcore

>Emergency fires

wut?

I sell volcano insurance in Swindon actually.

Glaswegian detected.

I used to love to steal shit when I was drunk; street signs, road cones, mostly glasses, a few bowling pins, and one time a metal retro type sign off a wall of a bar. Also one time a bunch of friends of mine lifted a guy up to try and steal a letter off the side of the bowling alley, he only got the bottom of the G, so he turned it into a C. I still have that one somewhere, pretty sure we were sober then, we were teenagers.

Most of my favorite glasses were stolen from the time I lived in Germany. Lots of liter and half liter mugs from Oktoberfest, mostly cocktail glasses with logos on them, and a really cool frosted Jagermeister shot glass, even though I can't stand the stuff. I love having them, they're all good memories.

KHAJIIT DID NOTHING

IS INNOCENT OF THIS CRIME!

Go fucking kill yourself soon

How the fuck do you even steal that stuff, don't they have cameras and shit?

I only steal potato warmers because they're next to impossible to find outside of restaurant supply wholesalers.

Most places that have cameras have them on the register, the front and back door, and will only be checking them if something goes wrong in the first place. They are not going to pay someone to sit in a room and watch all of their customers eat during business hours.

That's true of retail establishments as well, although if you walk in the door looking like a meth or crackhead, they probably watch you.

Walmart would have a difficulty distinguishing those from their regular customers though, so maybe they have to have someone on the eye in the sky all the time.

My policy is that doing that makes you a nigger from nigger Africa - or even worse, a gypsy.

Well, I was talking about restaurants. Any restaurant that has a security guard isn't going to have them watching monitors. Places like Walmart will have security outside AND someone watching the surveillance.

I only take plates and bowls because HF Coors is expensive to buy on my own. The cutlery and glasses aren't really worth it.
I still have two tables and 10 chairs from a few years back though. They're really sturdy and have no wobble at all.

Retail absolutely does have people on the cameras all the time because they have a real reason to do so. Looking like a drug addict is just one of the things they're looking for to make them actually pay attention to you though.

Don't be stupid. There's nothing worse than a nigger

Get /out/

Hahahahah. Keks for days.

My mom stole a chair from round table pizza back in the day because she was super drunk and the servers were rude

Always sat on it as a kid and never knew

how the hell do you steal plates and bowls?

When the service is great, and the food/drinks are good, I leave a tip.

When they're not, I take a souvenir.

I love that book

My uncle has about 30 steak knives from outback. And then in my household growing up we always had a ton of mismatched cutlery taken from hotels and room service.

I steal mugs from Costa and Starbucks if I've had a large drink, the normal mugs men, easy to get cheap but its nice to have the giant fuckers

>work at restaurant
>klepto faggots steal shit all the damn time
my COGS is way up you fucks

It's theft and you should ask god for forgiveness.

youtube.com/watch?v=34WL_07WEIs
Hello Stealy.

On a more serious note, why bother with that ugly restaurant stuff? I got better cutlery at home then the fast majority of restaurants I've been to.