Any other Geo fags here?

Just got accepted to do an undergraduate project / research in mineralogy and crystallography for my adviser. Feels gud.

Naw, but low key i feel like i could have been a geo-fag in another life. The only two final frontiers are above us and beneath us. Discover some kickass shit senpai.

Im studying metallurgy, basically geo's cousin.

I deal with crystal structures all day. I even deal a lot with minerals on the extraction side.

It's fun shit senpai.

I'm also (hopefully) going to be doing some detailed cave cartography in Missouri, our club has some maps published on the state and federal level.

Might be working with some engineers on designing a rover. I think they said they needed more geo fags to tell them what to design.

does your uni pay for your expenses while you do stuff with uni faculty? I want to ask my professors but asking at the beginning of the semester seems too forward.

It can, but I don't think they're paying for my project. I'll probably be using one of the labs here and there though, and my tuition pays for this.

I might ask this question, thanks user.

I'm going to grad school for mineralogy

Shit nigga,

How is it so far?

new to crystallography

whats the difference between the lattice and the basis?

Is the basis just the atomic structure associated with the lattice points?

A lattice is a structure, which has symmetry describable by space groups or something similar to that. (I don't know a lot of crystallography)

Answer me this questions one: why are this shapes so pritty?

Im entering uni this year and took Geology. I'm good at maths and chemistry, but suck at physics (I plan to catch up through september till uni starts though).
What am I in for?

I know the lattice, the basis is whats confusing me.

Physics based courses. Geology can include resonating crystalline structures and electromagnetic properties.

Welp back to my textbooks I go. I took Geography and Chemistry as my optional subjects for Matura since our HS' physics classes sucked ass.

You just need to be able to pass Physics with calculus 1 and 2 and calc 3. Those are the most rigorous courses.

There rest are memorization, vectors, just enough so that you can analyze big groups or data trends and, from what I was taught, "be able to speak about and comprehend the subject as if you were in court. State the right jargon and have some accuracy with your speech." I went to PSU for Geology.

Im a geology student, and i fucking hate cristalography... this stuff can't get into my head.

also, these minerals on a microscope is hell... hydrogeology ftw

Calc shouldn't be that much of a problem, I hope.
Did you do much work outside as an undergrad?

Hydrogeology is more lucrative anyway, from what I've heard.

Not during my undergrad. I worked for a private fracking crew in 2008 in North Dakota. We dismantled in 2013 but it was fucking bank.

In Geology, just like finding a remarkable specimen, luck is involved.

Pretty much.

>water is essential for life
>water quality and amount can vary greatly in short amounts of time
>students ignore water because it is mundane
ignoring water is dumb af, ore deposits once discovered pretty much stay there, add to this recovery from recycling and the cyclical nature of mineral markets.

hydrogeology skills will guarantee you a decent job, while the minerals people have to wait for the market to pick up in order to compete for jobs with new graduates.
if you are good at math you are good at physics, you just don't know it yet.

OP here, I'm just really enjoying it not sure why. I was a mathmajor fag in another time but I saw the light. I guess the general 3D composition of these minerals is just mind blowing. The geometry is just really unique to me, and It's hard to believe that some of the specimens I've seen in the lab have grown naturally.
I'm debating on going into the mineral exploration field for a few years, maybe after a Masters. I'm just very cautious about the possibility of getting laid off, but that's almost with any job. The same goes with the oil industry. The travel opportunities are what make this a difficult choice, I wouldn't mind seeing more of the world.

Very tempted to go the Hydrology route though, I think doing a Masters somewhere in Idaho or Wyoming in Hydrology would be some good shit. The job security / stability is very hard to pass up. If I can find a position in hydrology that will still offer a lot of field work, I think I might do it.

I'm studying a BS in Environmental Science (have past experience doing Industrial Hygiene/Asbestos and Lead Consulting).

Would it do me any good to take a minor in Geology if I want to work for a energy company?

I can't see how it would hurt you.

Especially with some geochemistry classes, or structural geology as a matter of fact.

Geology is all chemistry, very little to no maths at all unless you delve into geostats or geophys.

A majority of students (all 20 of us) took geology because we wanted a science without the maths.......

Geophysicists earn the big dollars though ($250k+ after 10 years if you're good....regular geos are only looking at ~180+)