The you realize that Caulden Halfield is The Catcher In The Rye and you're the person he's catching from falling off a...

The you realize that Caulden Halfield is The Catcher In The Rye and you're the person he's catching from falling off a cliff.
Man that was such a damn good book. Does anyone know any other books about disaffected people, who are extremely dissatisfied with society and lonely and depressed and alienated and feeling like nothing really matters, besides The Stranger? I really loved this book.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!8EIBkCTR!StrQxGi46MFdc5QbDDwWvAlSyIlDERkuSl89H2RgTiE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

Depends, how old are you?

Stoner is probably a book you'll like.

I love it too OP. Joyce's Portrait gave me similar feels but a bit more ambiguous regarding its pessimism/optimism.

I'm 22

Stonger

Hunger

Read Bananafish m8.

See More Glass > Holden.

Was going to your professors house a normal thing back in the 50's?

I used to be a (logics and programming) teacher almost a decade ago, and some of my students hung out at my house a couple of times.

It's only strange if you make it.

I know several philosophy students (females) that are often invited to their professor's house

Not strange at all, was just wondering is all.

franny and zooey are best, but bananfish is grrrreat too

That's not even a correct translation of the title

Plebs.

forgot pic

this still happened quite often at my college.

I loved that book. J.D Salinger would have higher praise if he wrote more.

The guy was a recluse, right? There are probably more stories out there his family haven't released.

no longer human might be a good choice,although the mc isn't dissatisfied with society,he struggles to comprehend humans and is depressed enough to attempt suicide.

The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls

Three Stories:
mega.nz/#!8EIBkCTR!StrQxGi46MFdc5QbDDwWvAlSyIlDERkuSl89H2RgTiE

Why not?

I've heard similar. They should release them

the stories of breece d'j pancake
foxhunters is my favourite out of all of them.

As long as he didn't want to rape you

Three Stories was only leaked a few years ago.
tOFoBB centers around Holden's brothers. If you haven't read it, OP, you ought to, at least eventually, when you want to re-visit the Caulfield family.

Un means a

consider reading the steppenwolf by Herman Hesse. Never got around to finishing it, but I liked what i read.

do you guys think holden's old teacher was definitely trying to feel him up towards the end?

>As if translation meant transliteration

I didn't like Catcher in the Rye that much... I mean, it was entertaining and at the same time insightful to look at his world through his mind, but it didn't go further.

Couldn't name it a really good book, it's just okay for me. Did I miss the point?

No. Imo the point of that is that when someone finally returns Holden's ideals of purity and goodness (taking care of him and tucking him in like a child), he suspects the worst thing from them and runs. Holden is a phony himself. It comes through even in the overly conscious writing style. He holds himself and everyone to an impossibly high standard. Near the end of the book, when he wants to take care of his sister in ways he won't take care of himself (barring her from running away), he comes to realize how unreasonable he has been. At the mental hospital he is starting to come to terms with the world. He misses all the people at the school and everything he experienced. Life is, in fact, not so bad.

It's such a perfect fucking book. Jesus Christ.

It's a very "INFP" story though. You have to be the overly sensitive moral crusader who needs to come somewhat to terms with reality. It's kind of absurd that American high schools push this on all the student. The fact that most English teachers and the best English students are usually people like this just keep perpetuating this unfortunate system.

No, people who like Catcher in the Rye tend to be beta nu males or just kids who are in their angsty teen period. I am not even trolling

You may enjoy this

He seems pretty dissatisfied to me.

Finished it today and didn't really like it much. The author did a great job at portraying Holden as an anti hero but other than that I thought it was bland. I didn't connect with it at all.

>beta nu males

Gun, With Occasional Music

Crooked Little Vein

That whole metaphor seems so hokey by today's standards. It's like when people make fun of movies for including their titles in a line of dialogue.

Man I don't know.
I don't think he was going to try and seduce him (the fact he doesn't try very hard to stop him leaving suggests that) but its hard to read into it any way that isn't creepy - like just sitting and watching him is creepy enough, even without touching. At best he was just super drunk and feeling overly sentimental, which is what led him to start like patting Holden.

I think what's most heartbreaking is that Caulfield hints that he's been sexually harassed by older men multiple times in the past - can't really blame him for over reacting.

game

>not even trolling

why are you even on Veeky Forums if you don't understand a basic novel like catcher in the rye, plebeian. the entire book is a fucking metaphor not to be taken literally.

>Did I miss the point?
Catcher is one of those tricky books, because I think ultimately the message is that the mundane details of our lives are the most important because they're the most genuine. Therefore, the book is kind of by necessity boring - I find it quite affecting and impactful, but I can understand why it might come across as lacklustre to some.

Look into Notes from Underground

to get a better understanding you should probably look up the historical setting this book was written in. at the time of writing, salinger was actively serving in the military so the novel really became cathartic for him.

essentially, caulfield experiences the modern world as a wwii veteran. i recommend rereading it under this assumption because you pick up a lot more of the symbolism and plot.

its on the wiki, m8

>Suggests wiki w/o a hint of irony
Jesus fucking christ can someone end this board now

That must've been the most underwhelming interpretation to a profound book I have ever read.

Please take Veeky Forums off life support already. Mods release my pleb beaten soul.