So scientists say that the Big Bang caused the universe but what caused the Big Bang?

So scientists say that the Big Bang caused the universe but what caused the Big Bang?

Serious question btw please explain I am open minded to anything.

Don't be stupid, OP. God obviously did this

Quantum fluctuations

Bit meaningless to me could you expand?

Also what caused the fluctuations?

Bump I'm genuinely curious no memeing. Come on guys this is fundamental stuff.

>So scientists say that the Big Bang caused the universe
Most don't.
The Big Bang is a description of the early expansion of the universe, not a causal account of its existence.

Ok what did cause it though?

What are quantum fluctuations? Fluctuations in what?

In string theory it could be branes bumping into each other in higher dimensions. Also yeah I know string theory = crackpot theory = untestable = not even wrong.

What the fuck does that even mean though jesus christ I am so dumb.

You're not dumb man, it's just vocabulary you don't know. Gotta learn it.
(Or not because fundamental physics is a meme)

The theory is that our 3d space (or 4d space-time) is like a surface that exists in a universe with more dimensions. This is like how paper exists in our 3d but is itself 2d. In string theory these branes can hit each other and when this happens that energy is dissipated into the brane itself (like if you hit a metal sheet and it starts to ring, the kenetic energy has dissipated into vibrational energy in the sheet. One of these collision events would cause a big-bang in our 3d sheet in larger dimensional space.

It's a pretty good meme though. It's sort of like the bane posting of memes

But bane posting is the bane posting of memes.

Paper is not 2d though? Also pretty gay theory if I'm honest. They're making very specific claims about shit with no measurable evidence as far as I can see.

say the paper had cartoons drawn on it and they in their plane on the page attempted to understand an additional dimension that isn't flat on the page. It's a little difficult to comprehend additional dimensions when you cannot achieve a perspective from which they can be seen

This just seems to add more complexity, Now we have to explain where all these branes came from and why they're just floating around willy nilly.

>Now we have to explain where all these branes came from
Why? In that context, branes have always been there and that's that.

what the fuck is a brane

If only there was some sort of search engine on the internet you could type keywords into and get information about it.

The baneposting of Physics*?

branebranego.com

"a brane is a physical object that generalizes the notion of a point particle to higher dimensions."

What in God's cock is that supposed to mean

>braneposting

Maybe you should stop watching capeshit and read books.

We probably will never know and it's formal and quantitatively beyond the limits of our knowledge. Just call it God, for it's the reason you're alive today.

Get off the high horse ya fucking dork

>physical object
>generalizes point particle
>into higher dimensions

What of these don't you understand?

friendly reminder that physicists straight up don't know any of this shit and they try to hide that fact behind a bunch of $10 words and arguments from authority.

physicists barely know how thermodynamics and gravity work and even then its a "ehh, the math works out" kind of thing.

i lol'd

>they try to hide that fact
Uhhh... no, they quite happily tell us 'We don't know!' because its the most exciting part of their existence.

They want questions to answer.

Oh, and KYS. You are a fucking embarrassment to humanity.

>physicists barely know how thermodynamics and gravity work and even then its a "ehh, the math works out" kind of thing.
>physicists barely know how thermodynamics works
You're retarded. Take an intro to physical chemistry course

what does "into" mean here?
how do you generalize a point? particle?
how do you marathon a picture?
how do you taste sound?
how do you measure your dick?

>KYS. You are a fucking embarrassment to humanity.

this has become so ubiquitous that it has lost its meaning and only remains in use for the sake of ritual

it's the Veeky Forums equivalent of "how are you?" "fine"

In order for there to be cause and effect, there needs to be a before and after. We call this sequence of causality time.

Time only exists because entropy exists. That's literally the definition, look it up before you shitpost.

The big bang arose from a universe with 0 entropy.
Time didn't exist before the big bang.
Asking what came before is meaningless.

First cause principle

LOL underrated

>if I bump into you, would you expand the universe?

>Braneposting

WE.
DON'T.
FUCKING.
KNOW.

WHY IS THIS SO FUCKING HARD TO COMPREHEND FOR PEOPLE.

God, or a higher being. This is what I believe personally

Last time I checked physicists just said dunno, but we're willing to find out and we try hard.

Your beliefs are wrong

But they clearly /haven't/ always been there if another brane is created when two collide! If branes are constantly creating more branes, then surely those first branes had to come from somewhere.

This thread is reposted every weak. Why?

It doesn't create new branes and no it wouldn't imply that anyway.

Oh, so you mean branes are higher dimensional planes or spaces that can contain universes, and each time two or more collide they /might/ create a new universe from the impact?

That makes more sense. The pic in confused me. I thought each brane contained its own 3 dimensional universe and that a new brane was created with each "big bang" collision.

So basically if this hypothesis is true, a finite number of branes could create an unlimited number of universes just by vibrating together over time?

prove it

okay faggot. give me a general solution for heat diffusion without bullshit numerical algorithms.

>"knowing" something means "having an analytical solution to the fundamental equation regulating that phenomenon"
wut?

yeah, thats the "how" in how it works. i didn't say "why".

Literally what the fuck does the "how" has to do with the existence of an analytic solution?
Are you implying we don't understand the double pendulum because there isn't an analytic solution?

the double pendulum isn't the foundation for an entire field of study.

heat transfer is based entirely on that same taylor expansion ass pull that navier stokes is based on, and any physicist will tell you we are still a long way from completely understanding fluid behavior.

but somehow thermal phenomena are totally understood yeah?

>the double pendulum isn't the foundation for an entire field of study.
That's avoiding the question entirely. The existence of analytic solution is just a nice thing to have, nothing fundamental, there is no guarantee that they even exist.

>there is no guarantee that they even exist.
which means our models are still approximations and that we lack understanding.

thanks for proving my point.

It doesn't mean anything of the sort.
No matter your understanding of mechanics, the double pendulum will never have an analytic solution.

here's some pure philosophy food for thought:
we know space-time is a thing in some shape or form. we know it contorts, we know time runs at different "speeds" depending on the contortion. so, we know space-time is not an unmovable, unchangeable presence. with that being said, it's implications are obvious. "cause and effect" at extreme energies and tiny spaces simply doesn't happen like we are accustomed to in our everyday interactions. so maybe there was no "before" if space-time didn't exist in the form we are currently familiar with. if time didn't exist yet, there would be no before.

like i said, philosophy food for thought. better than stank memes. or maybe not

There is a fringe theory in cosmology that the speed of light is variable over time and any drop in the speed of light forces a release of energy in a vacuum.

>paper is 2d
Even drawings on a piece of paper are inside of the 3rd dimension

and the 3rd dimension is "inside" the 4th dimension. Just because there's no example of a truly 2 dimensional thing existing in our 3 dimensional space doesn't mean they don't exist. We just have to define our 2d "object" very precisely.

So virtual dimensions as in being visualized on a monitor are like how many dimensions

This gave me such anxiety as a kid. I remember being around 10 and internally freaking out about it.

Creationists 9001 Scientists 0

Scientists can't even make up a story for the beginning of space time. lmao

Causality isn't an argument. There just "is". The past and future are illusions, although persistent. Understand general relativity.