They did it, they cured cancer

they did it, they cured cancer.

abc.net.au/news/2016-09-06/revolutionary-australian-cancer-drug-given-us-approval/7819344

Don't even joke. If they ever cured cancer, the human race would be completely fucked

>cure a flaw in DNA
come back to me once all niggers are gone

why?

We are already suffering from overpopulation, that is a problem

inb4 asshole

I have cancer, that doesn't make me blind to the truth

My father died from melanoma this year.

>overpopulation
nice meem

My grandmother from lung cancer last week.

Fuck cancer, bro.

Just because the earth can sustain more doesn't mean we all want to live in beijing except instead of asians it's Islamic Africans.

Sorry, user. I went into remission from stage 3 melanoma when I was 10. I'm 20 now

Fuck cancer. :'(

>calling problem you don't wanna deal with a meem
nic mayme :^)

7.6 million people each year that should be dead and aren't is a bad thing.

What if those 7.6 million people are scientists working to stop overpopulation from being a problem to begin with?

Then we'd have a solution to it, I imagine.

So what you're saying is... we should irradiate scientists to motivate them? Why has no one thought of this before?

This thread is blessed.
But they're now dead because of something potentially curable like cancer. If we're going to support people dying we should have a more hands on approach to it than to let something choose at random from the population. Now I'm not saying eugenics is the answer, but eugenics is the answer.

Honestly, I think we should have death lotteries for the working classes. Also, legalize recreational physician-assisted suicide.

>Honestly, I think we should have death lotteries for the working classes
>Implying we don't already

We should have death lotteries for sleepy sheep like you.
Baaaahhhh!

medicine

>death lotteries for sleepy sheep

>hasn't heard of the military

>tfw 19
>I graduated highschool a year ago when I was 17
>tfw I got cancer and its absolute shit.
Fuck you. Overpopulation isn't a problem by the way unless your fucking China or India or the ME/Africa.

Not our field. Our job is to make humams healthier.

Stay strong, user.

Even if it kills us.

Overpopulation isn't the problem the world is facing, excess consumption is.

Sounds like some liberal kool aid, user.

Keep the shekels flowing, good goy.

This post made me leave Veeky Forums forever.
Thanks.

Hahahaha fucking dumbarse.
Implying you won't be at the hospital with the first sign of something going wrong. Hopefully you won't though so we can be rid of you fucking dead weights

Any medfags here? Other health professionals or students? Nursing student here

>curently 19
>a year ago i was 17
Oh god I'm so sorry about your brain cancer OP. I hope these pills help you

Say you were born in June. In 2015 you would be 17 and 18, in 2016 you would be 18 and 19. If it's September it would still be correct to say you were 17 last year because last year was 2015.

If the Earth is never overpopulated, we will never have a sufficient incentive to colonize space. I for one welcome overpopulation.

microbiologist not really interested in cancer and did some light reading. The drug is an inhibitor of the protein BCL-2. BCL2 is a regulatory protein involved in cell death. Many cancers are able to evade cell death (apoptosis). The drug ,venetoclax, binds with higher affinity to BCL2 than pro-survival proteins and some pro-apoptotic proteins and basically allows for cancer cell apoptosis. It's not a catch all by any means though

I know, how about we talk about the thread topic you fucking idiots

this thread is literally cancer

>muh overpopulation
Most of the population is centered in tacoland, niggerland and chinkland, it's not our problem, just hope they collapse or some shit
If cancer was cured I doubt third world shitholes could afford it.

But can we cure it now with that drug?

You are stupid and mean.

Omega-3 is the cure, the ripe cannibus seed is eatable.

wow!

this is a crazy but probably effective idea.

>death lotteries
Do it just like in Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery."

i wonder if they used a quantum computer to discover this dank ass molecule

It sounds pretty amazing, but it only seems to work for leukemia as of right now, right?

how about that Sliders episode "Luck of the Draw"

Basically you have access to an ATM that'll give you unlimited money. But every dollar you withdraw adds your name to the lottery 1 time. Winners are able to bequeath money to loved ones, have unlimited funds, and are granted a wish before death.

>nearly 4 out of 5 people had a positve result
>nearly
>with 1 full remission
>stage 4 so was most likely on a lot of other shit

Pretty small number of test patients
>>Some patients did have a negative result.

Sucks for them. So is the idea behind this drug mostly for fighting leukemia or by inhibiting that protein is this a cure-all? I'm a little skeptical but i don't know anything about pharmaceuticals. What is a drug like this made from? How does it even?

>Implying you wouldn't get this medicine for yourself and your family, if they got cancer

"Sorry, honey, but you are supposed to die. I forbid you to take medicine! You must die! It's for the good of the world!"

when you're old and in a hospital with prostate cancer, you'll be like: "thank god! fuck overpopulation!"

This drug is useful for a subset of leukemia because their cancers have a specific mutation (bcl-2) which this drug effectively blocks. It's definitely not a cure-all for leukemia, let alone for cancer, but for this group of patients it seems to be very significant.

There are an increasing number of drugs targeted at specific mutations. Imatinib was probably the first and it was astonishingly succesful for a subset of patients with CML. Pembrolizumab is a more recent one which is lifesaving for some melanoma patients.

Generally these drugs are made by screening thousands/millions of chemicals against an assay of the target mutation, and then modifying the more succesful candidates to find the most promising compound. This is true for small molecule compounds, at least - antibody drugs like pembrolizumab are a bit different.

I know the lead author on one of the clinical trials - this is the culmination of 20+ years work by many, many people and is going to be lifesaving for some patients.

Also - the number of patients is small but there aren't many available because this is a subset of a reasonably uncommon disease. There is a lot of pressure to get promising drugs to market early and waiting long enough to recruit a larger number of patients would have delayed approval by years.

Neat, thanks for the response