The Joy of Writting---share your >'s

>have nice ass picture in my head which I'd like to translate into word
>even if I could the reader would not see it exactly as I do

hhungghg

female sexuality terrifies me so i try to compensate by taking copious amount of prescription amphetamine meds

>plan and outline for work
>scared you'll fuck up a good story with your shitty prose

I'm hungry.

Why would you want them to see the same picture? Writing is a shitty medium for that. All they need is to feel the effect of what you see; imagine it, and that depends more on emotion than precision of the description.

then don't describe it literally and allow the reader to create an image in their head. I have always hated unnecessary room or personal appearance descriptions but instead prefer how they make the character feel.

e.g. not
>a mint green roofed and checkered red window curtain....

but instead
>a house which he knew for all its irrationality was undeniably haunted

>didn't have a real meal in a week
>living off protein shakes and cigarettes
Thank you, writing.

Any advice for food with a lot calories which is fast to consume?

>a mint green
Shit like that always takes me out of the text, trying to imagine how mint green looks compared to grass green and why it's an important enough detail to mention.

butter

lol i know, I don't think ti flows nicely in the mind of the reader. Saying someone is a tall man may be important and may flow nicely but it always bugs me when the author describes some person's outfit in such painstaking detail and it doesn't even relate to their personality or actions or anything. I prefer to fill in images myself (usually imagining the main character as exactly myself or my dad)

A big part of that is just show versus tell, pretty elementary writing stuff.

Beans

Fair enough, I guess I forgot the "doesn't taste worse than hunger" part; combining it with bread adds exhausting chewing to the whole experience. (I am not as autistic as I sound, I swear)

>when the author describes some person's outfit in such painstaking detail
I think that can be excused when it happens from the limited 3rd person, so it serves the function to reveal what the character pays attention to, which in turn is pretty well done characterisation I'd say.

>don't plan out my stories before writing
>kicking myself when editing but also loving how fun improve writing is
I scrap a lot of my work but I have fun

Mhmm, that's a good idea.

Does it literally involve having absolutely no plan where the story goes and what some of the key points are?

I tried the approach but usually hit the wall after 5-10k words, and then the thought of editing it cripples what's left of my motivation and creativity.

It's a pretty romantic approach for sure. Even a rough outline feels so formulaic.

If you want to share a picture, make visual art.

Tea, the occasional squirt of honey down your gullet, and a multivitamin or two.

I usually think of a basic plot and if it keeps coming back to me after a few days i'll start writing it

I think you mean first person

>mfw deliverately fucking with the reader

>have nice ass which I'd like a cute boy to see
>too scared and socially awkward to go out and have him cup my butt.

We already know you're only fucking yourself

You have fun with your writing ?

IS that even allowed ?

>don't plan out

Improv writing is ok too ?

You're seriously Schizophrenic and saddening

Plz mods ban this poster he's much too abstract and original to be posting here

Damn straight.

what dose senpai?

>spend 2 hours writing
>get tired, decide to read
>realize your prose is literally shit

every single time

It will only get better if you continue to write.

you are kidding, right?

>joy
>Writing
???

>show versus tell,

that's a fucking meme, mate. Propped up by the new generation of MFA teachers who pretend they have something to teach. Nobody outside of america falls for this meme, and you'd realize that if you had read anything other than what The New Yorker and Granta tell you to.

It's a creative rule, you have to at least know the rule before you can decide to break it. An amateur who doesn't know the show versus tell rule will tell you the feelings and it will show he truly is amateur. A professional will decide to tell you but will still execute it in a way that shows true mastery.

it's not a rule, it's an arid, boring writing style that MFA'ers and other mediocre american writers want to impose on the rest. It's not a rule if everyone is breaking it.

My last couple of reads:

Coetzee
Elena Ferrante
Georges Perec
Laszlo Krasznahorkai
Thomas Bernhard
Han Kang

Which one of them follows your stupid rule? Not one of them. This is why you should broaden your literary horizons a bit.