I've never seen Knausgård featured on here, have any of you read the honest Norwegian best-selling sensation?

I've never seen Knausgård featured on here, have any of you read the honest Norwegian best-selling sensation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JTyBz_MwRJA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nah he's shit
rather read 50 shades of grey

We talk about this faggot everyday.
Read Proust or Powell. If you want something modern, read Ferrante.
If you wait twenty years or so, you can read my memoir based on the life of Miles Davis, Jon Rose, and, myself.

50 shades isn't that bad. I read the first one.

Book 1 and 2 are good. Book 3 is bad.

>still handsome with a nasty fucking unibrow
kill me

I absolutely agree with this. What a fuckup that was.

Is this comfy?

On and off. Skip book 3, as mentioned.

I think you need to be Norwegian to "get" book 3.

What's book 3 about?

His childhood. It's more of a classic coming of age novel than the others and more straight foreward.

Fuck off with this meme already.

He's alright, but not extraordinary as he the hype claims.

His honesty is what made him popular, I would say. Min Kamp is a comfy read, but don't expect fucking life-changing experience the media makes it out to be when approaching it.

It's a memoir with some thoughts on art, life, death, etc. every now and then.

I liked this doco youtube.com/watch?v=JTyBz_MwRJA

I think he's good. I even liked book 3, found it very evocative and I'm not Norwegian.

My Struggle feels quite refreshing if you're used to reading lots of post modern stuff. The "content" isn't anything mind blowing but there's an honesty to the writing that's quite addictive and compelling, plus the fact that he's obviously just a good writer. Able to elevate the banal into something genuinely engaging.

Having said that I can understand people not liking his work. I'd say it's worth just reading book 1 and if you're not compelled to continue don't but if it hooks you it's really enjoyable.

Jesus christ lurk for longer than a day

Good but Ferrante's better

I'm American, liked Book Three.

I'm Norwegian and I haven't even read him tbqh, my backlog of books to read is so fucking huge that I haven't taken the time.

Is the English version good though? Translations from Norwegian into English usually work fine because the languages are very similar, but there's a lot of cultural mores or figures of speech that has to seem weird to English speakers.

Norskjævel her. I bought book 1 and 2 on sale somewhere, read 70 pages of book 1 and got pretty bored reading a cringy recollection of my youth in the same county. But I did enjoy the reflecting moments, I will be returning to it sometime.

>got pretty bored reading a cringy recollection of my youth in the same county

That's funny. Chances are I'll feel the same then.

Book 1 - Good
Book 2 - Good
Book 3 - Shit
Book 4 - Brilliant
Book 5 - Best
Book 6 - Meh

I'm Norwegian and read them more or less as they were originally released. I would actually expect you to enjoy book 3 less if you're a Norwegian as it's like the most blandest typical Norwegian childhood novel, which is a whole tradition here. Apparently writing book 3, book 4 and maybe even book 5 was when the media pressure was the heaviest so Knausgård freaked and censored himself a lot. He himself seems to not think so highly of these book. Book 4 is also kind of annoying as it's mostly a rehash of his debut novel "Out of this World" which was 800+ pages and fictionalized, only "Out of this World" was better.

At book 5, imo, we're mostly back to business. He has said that he was trying to write the kind of novel he would have loved at the time and it's this really cool, slightly weird, atmospheric depiction of student life and becoming an artist. Book 6 is a lot like book 2 (which is probably the most evenly excellent book), but it also reaches a lot higher -- and falls a lot harder when it does. In some ways that makes it my favorite book in the series. My Struggle has a lot of imperfections, but I feel like the fact that him being stressed out about the media attention influenced the book, how he is often trying too hard in book 6, that the book ends with him admitting that he has failed to capture his life in any meaningful way, etc. are a part of its ambivalent sincerity aesthetic.

6 > 2 > 5 > 1 > 4 > 3

>I've never seen Knausgård featured on here

lurk moar

Is Knausgaard a Hitler sympathiser?

Pretty sure he just made an analogy between the sometimes insanely collectivistic behavior of Norwegians, albeit for so-called "good motives", and the same kind of collectivism that existed in Nazi-Germany.

Both types of collectivism are built on the same things, brotherhood, unity, and community, and yet one of them created a rich, liberal democracy, and the other a racist military dictatorship.

Don't you find that fascinating?

Definitely not. He's a good, old-fashioned closet social democrat that gets annoyed when things get too abstracted and "unreasonable" (like with some leftist ideologies). He also has a penchant for exploring the complexities and greys of the world. For example, Hitler was a human being too and he had experiences which put him on his path. In fact, denying his humanity might be the start of the kind of path he went down. Both when 1) annoyed about unreasonable, modern gender roles (or whatever) and 2) when exploring greys, Knausgård is prone to upsetting and insulting people though, which makes Knausgård feel bad, but he doesn't give af at the same time because in his opinion art's value is not to consider what is right or wrong, but just express something individual, human-to-human.

Something like that! It's been a while since I was really into him.

Not really all that fascinating, the Germans have always been utter scum.

Are they that similar? I didn't think Ferrante was autobiographical

>Definitely not.

That's disappointing.

Asspained Polack detected

I bet.

Not an argument.