ROAST CHICKEN

Sup Veeky Forums, I'm looking for tips to cook a whole chicken. Now I've had really fucking good chicken before, my dad would make it in the oven, it was always tender as fuck with skin that cracked like glass when you cut it, loaded to the tilt with flavor, but hes dead now so I can't ask and cannot find a recipe with the same results.

For cooking I have two options, oven or coal fired grill. I want to use the grill for adding smoke but what are your thoughts?

Also seasoning, besides salt/peper/garlic and onion? Maximum crispiness required.

Cook your own fucking chicken

I'M TRYING

Try harder faggot

If ur gonna roast it put a lemon and herbs in the cavity

Here's what works for me.

Brine the chicken for 12- overnight rinse and pat dry then let it air dry for a couple of hours in a pan on a rack inside fridge. Make a herb butter minced garlic and whatever herbs you want. Rub butter on skin and some under skin directly on meat. Fresh ground pepper on skin everywhere and inside cavity. Squeeze juice of half a lemon inside cavity then stuff rind and an inch of peeled ginger inside roast at 400-425 for about an hour and half.

If you are a lazy retard like how I think you are. Make sure your chicken is dry add aromatics in cavity whole cloves of garlic,onion chunk ginger lemon herbs pepper. Add salt if you don't brine. Add fat on skin butter or oil add pepper if you didn't brine add salt roast 400-425 degrees for 1 hour and half.

I rub it all over with butter and then get a roasting pan and put a little chicken stock in with bay leafs, peppercorns, parsley stalks, and a few onion slices, then season the chicken all over and inside the cavity with pepper. Then put the chicken in the pan breast side down and roast for 30 mins, basting it twice. After the 30, take it back out, and turn it the right way up, season it all over with salt (again inside and outside) and then back in the oven for an hour, basting every 15 minutes.

>Brine the chicken
When will this meme end?

a trick to get crispy skin is to put your fingers between the skin and flesh and separate it so the skin is slightly loose

Stuff with lemon and herbs or something other than the traditional stuffing ( that shit sucks the moisture out)
Oil and salt, butter under the skin if you can be bothered.
Roast on 160C for about 45 minutes with the breast side down.
Then flip and crisp the skin for half an hour.

If you want to grill it butterfly it out and baste it with something like peri peri.

This, but for smoking at 225F-250F, do the simple truss illustrated in the "culinary arts" website. Search "trussing culinary arts." The chicken ends up a tight ball and stays super juicy after 4-5 hours smoking. If you want the skin to be crisp, though, pull it off the smoker when internal temp is @150F and finish in the oven for the last 20-30 minutes.

They're not biting today. Pack up your fishing pole and tackle box and call it a day.

Dead simply way for chicken.

Rub a little salt into the skin, cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes per pound (lb) plus 20 minutes at 180C. Baste every 20 mins.
For the last 40 minutes remove the foil.

Easy Peasy.

Actually, I'm not trolling.

There is no need whatsoever to brine a chicken (or Turkey) . .. .I think many people have cottoned on to something but don't realise what they are doing or the need for it?

The way i do it is
brine it or salt it generously (i forgot)
spatchcock it (cut out the spine and cut the sternum area so it lies flat
bake it really fucking hot (~230-250 degrees) until the meat reads 70 degrees

No you don't
I bet you have never even roasted a chicken . . .I'm not joking.

How can you forget if you 'brine it or salt it' ?

>(cut out the spine and cut the sternum area
Nah, you are just making it up.

i forgot if i either brined it or salted it while it was dry

this is what happens if you cut out the spine, here's the first image when you google spatchcock chicken

Posting a picture you've found on google, does not prove anything.

I know what spatchcock means but you have never done it. That was my point.

r u ok?

There are videos on YouTube for Julia Child's and Thomas Keller's roast chickens. I forget whose it is but they roast high temp for crackly skin. Makes a mess of your oven but looks great

>copying from Wikipedia
Just as I suspected. My point still stands . . . .you have NEVER done it.

believe what you want, but that method worked for me

>In your mind it was real.

fuckin thanks nigga, brining atm. I wasn't sure about the lemon which is another reason I asked here.
I'm going to skip smoking this time, but thanks for the tips. Also what fucking culinary arts website, "trussing culinary arts." in quotes brings up this page only, can't find shit.
>traditional stuffing
does anyone actually eat this shit? like whats the point?
not the chicken i'm after, i know what this is like, not my thing.

Culinaryarts.about.com > trusschicken

>brining atm
You mean - wasting your time?