en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Yong
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>toy car
if you have kids you shouldn't be on this board

also why did I find this.

embarassing. leave this website forever

what a fucking faggot lmao

The Toy car is for my future SO's son.
And yes I sometimes visit Reddit, nothing wrong with that.

Nice.

I don't have a bookshelf because I'm poor. My books are just strewn about randomly on tables and the floor.

I'm so poor i can't even afford books, rich fag.

Also:
ITT: OP is a pretentious attention whore.

>I'm so poor i can't even afford books, rich fag.

This isn’t a fucking game, kid, this is my life. Live on the Alaskan tundra for a year and we'll see how your habits change when you come out the other side. You wake up and spit your morning loogie down the sink, I swallow mine for sustenance. You're the kind who throws away bad milk. I make sour cream. You tie your shoes before you leave the house. I use one long lace between them both to save $ on shoelaces, faggot. I shit in a diaper for a year when I couldn’t afford to flush. Ever heard of a lambskin condom? I fuck lambs with a condom, cause women are just too pricey. I have a mustache, because it gets me free hotdogs. You're up a paddle without a creek, richboy. I’ll only tell you once: I keep my promises kid, because I can’t afford to lie.

That picture doesn't belong to him user, relax.

I know, all I said was that it was nice.

"Thanks for the car papa. its kind of gay, I just want to play pokemon go"
"why do you never read your books papa?"

"because I like to take pictures of them instead"

"you're a faggot papa"

Calm down there Nietzsche

Since all of you are so gay, I'll get this shit back on track with my repost from last week.

With many more books on the floor. Partly because I try not to shelve a book until I've read it, partly because there's not enough space.

>all that 20th century american literature
you dont know how much i hate burgers

Stay mad, fag.

why that's very nice op looks comfy

So you're a white 57 year old father of three?

close i'm a transgender mongolian emo dwarf fetus of eleven

Nice Americana poster, user

Regardless of whether your SO is a lady or a dude, you're still a fucking faggot for taking a panoramic view of your shelves where you can barely make out any books except for that 'Evergreen Review Reader' and your copy of the bandanna mememan, and you're a swine for having stacks of books on your ground
Nothing in your picture suggests you should stay here, and I'm a 23 y/o kissless virgin so I would know

the ground*

you'll get kissed one day bud trust me
by your UNCLE FRED

Entry level meme reader shelf here.

Only just started reading fiction - previously was only economics/finance books and textbooks (more econ books outside of pic).

Atlas Shrugged to American Psycho were all picked up today. Halfway through Infinite Jest.

ugh
who the fuck wants skylight

i haven't opened my blinds since 2007 and that's the way i like it

hol-ee pleb

Looks like you haven't even read your copy of Infinite Jest.

You could have spent the time you used to read Atlas Shrugged to read Infinite Jest.

/pol/ told me to read Crippled America.

That's actually the most patrician book on the shelf.

I literally just finished reading it. Two days ago. Atlas Shrugged was better. Infinite Jest would be like if Ayn Rand decided to write Atlas as 50% edgy-kid rambling, 40% sci-fi centering around the electricity-from-air and cloaking machines, and 10% her politics. Only it's worse, because IJ doesn't even rise to the level of a political argument as vapid as "leeching off of others is bad". Instead it simply states very observational things like "People have addictions", makes a lame as fuck Ulysses reference, something something post-modernism, and bam! done.

Will Atlas Shrugged be a faster read than Infinite Jest?

It has more pages, but given the footnotes and complicated vocab in IJ, Atlas Shrugged can't be anywhere near as mentally draining as IJ.

Infinite Jest has better prose. Atlas Shrugged is more linear. However, Atlas Shrugged is also screamingly didactic in a completely heavy-handed and unsubtle way. It's pretty close, but I think Infinite Jest is going to be the faster read. May depend on you.

>Piketty
Wew lad...

The Chapters on Inequality of Labor Income and Inequality of Capital Income in C21C are GOAT. Really makes you think.

They are not and Piketty is a hack who uses his credentials to sell books instead of writing actual research articles for economic journals. He is literally scamming people.

1/6

2/6

I need more shelves

3/6

this is the most patrician shelf ITT

4/6

I wish more American publishers sold complete sets of an author's works

5/6 guess what the missing book is in the the top shelf

6/6

I think it's important for you to know I posted these while taking a shit.

>Stacks of books because you don't have enough shelf space
I can relate. Really nice set-up though.

What the hell is that top shelf? Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

Is the Oxford set of Faust worth getting? I have the Kaufmann and Norton editions, but I always hear good stuff about the Oxford.

Any tips before reading Faust? you seem invested

that's a lot of dante
what's your favourite translation

Please tell me you're writing a dissertation on the Divine Comedy. Otherwise I'll want to smack you across the face.

luke is sophisticated and very well-received, though i think some of his modernization are a bit awkward. could be personal preference. it's showing signs of being the new "standard" translation for sure. i liked it better the second time i read/skimmed through it than the first time.

sincerely and unironically - start with the greeks, esp. for part 2. part 1 is pretty straightforward and you probably already know the story so it shouldn't be difficult to follow.

see pic

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Yong

Maybe you should actually read one or two of those books instead of hoarding every single piece of classic literature you can think of.

90% of those shelves look untouched. Unless you turn the pages with tweezers a book that has been read does not usually look brand-new.

i don't believe in reading books. i think it's haram.

no i just really like dante. also im interested in the process of literary translation so this makes a good case study.

I've read two of his journal articles. What's wrong with them? I could only read two of them because the rest are full of complex equations and mathematical symbols that are beyond my scope of knowledge.

Capital in the Twenty First Century literally wrote the book in the current inequality debate at the top 1% meme that people like to rant about.

I don't necessarily agree with all of his ideas but the book itself is great. Not exactly light reading though.

I just have a kindle, but I am planning on buying all the books I read on it to decorate my shelves with eventually

oh you're the dante guy? respect

Fascinating. And you read Chinese? That's pretty impressive, desu

>Cute girl comes over to your house.
>"Wow user you must really like reading classic books! Can you tell me a little bit about those Dante books? Oooh you have the entire collection of Shakespeare's plays? Which one is your favourite? I love Shakespeare!"
>H-heh, sorry [cute girl], I've only read HALF, HALF of Hamlet. Despite the size of my collection.
>"Well, what about Dante? You have so many copies of his books!"
>"Those are just decorative."

>Spend $1000s on books to impress people who probably don't care.
>Your shelf ends up looking tasteless.
>You probably only read manga comics.
>The money could have been spent on something far more productive than decorative items.

>projecting this hard

Not everyone is as shallow as you

>1000's

Really? How much would you say all those books cost, why do they cost so much anyways, are there not many printed?

1/3

2/3

3/3

>tfw poorfag
>tfw seeing all these big collections
>tfw barely have two 1m shelves full, rest is ebooks or returned to the library
>tfw have been looking at buying a physical copy of Epistulae morales ad Lucilium in my language for my collection for months now and can't bring myself to spend the money
>tfw Thales was wrong

Don't worry. One day you will die.

most of the books cost ~$5 - $10. the Chinese set cost me $70 + $200 shipping. the History of Middle Earth was around $150. Various books cost in the $30 - $50 range (Bible was $50, flight to lucifer ran me $30, the Spenser and the Marlowe were like $50). The Shakespeare set was like $400. some of the Dante was ~20 - $40.

but keep in mind this was gathered over many years

Try working.

How poor, though? I've ~500 dorrah to spend each month after paying rent, when I have to buy course books or when my bike breaks it's even less, and I only go looking for books after I know I've covered both food, drinking and drugging, but I'm always running out of space on my shelves just from buying used books anyway.
Granted, if you're looking for one specific book you probably won't find it, and newer books are obviously out of the question, but finding literature for cheap is easy as piss.

>drugging

>not making drugs your property

Reading and the Passage of time.
Don't you find that, after a few years. could be one year, could be ten, the books you've read pretty much vanish from yourself? You only get a slight sensation of what it did for you at the time. If even that. I'm 34 and it's such a pity to realize that, not only I will never read all the books I'd like to because of limited time on this earth, but also because of the fact that those I've read don't become part of me or stay with me, but they vanish away, more or less slowly, until there's nothing left of them.
Some book's I've read and really liked, I remember nothing.

I guess I should create a separate thread. Here it is:

Looks like a pretty comfy spot, OP. What do you do for a living?

I envy you for that work/study space. I won't have my own for some years.

money laundering

How is the Norton Critical Inferno?

I normally hold their translations in high esteem.

sorry not familiar with that one

it doesn't really get brought up often in translation discussions and comparisons in my experience

Poor mans libary and fucking Amerifat at that ! Must do better or fail and die and be obscure ..basically faggotry at its worst excess..

Maitena. Manes. Are you not ashamed, my fellow porteño?

One of my bookshelves Britannia's fifty greatest books of the western world, plant and biology books, some signed jesse Stuart books, and bird books. Inherited all of these and the shelf

Cool, a bunch of shit nobody would ever read.

for free

Man, recycle those cans and vacuum your carpet. Shit looks disgusting.

We are stupidly proud of stupid things. Look close, I'm not from Buenos Aires.

Clean your shit and stand your books up so you don't ruin the bindings.

had to take the books for the shelf the whole bottom row is books i have to throw out

This makes me realize how nice a book collection looks if it's mostly hardcover.

i love this

This is a very nice collection. Someday when I get a physical collection it will look a lot like this.

Thanks, anons. This is probably about a third of my total collection and it has been a lot of fun to build up, both in the reading and in the hunt for the books. Most of them I found in used book stores with the rest coming from Abe. I did buy Graveyard Clay new because I couldn't wait to read it.

pls be kind. only my fiction shelves, nonfic not pictured.

7/10

It's mostly memes so I can't go any higher than that but there is enough character in there to elevate you above basic Veeky Forums bitch.

deleted it, sorry. promised myself I would stop posting in these threads and should have stuck to that
for the inquisitive user, it was just like he described it

Now I hate you.

Dont have a pic of my set up right now. I just got this sexy bastard though.

I actually like floors like that, reminds me of being a little kid