I work in a hospital with this little old mexican lady who's super nice. Probably pushing 60...

I work in a hospital with this little old mexican lady who's super nice. Probably pushing 60, but she likes to get her drink on. Her birthday is next week and I'd like to get her a nice bottle of beer from bevmo. She likes ales and stouts, but nothing too bitter. We have a woman up in our MICU who brews their own beers and make an IPA; probably rate it a 30 on the IBU scale. I thought it was fine, perhaps even a little more sweet than bitter, but she thought it was a little too bitter... so maybe a 15-20 would be more in her range.

Anyway, bevmo is just down the street. What beer should I look into getting her? I was thinking of one of Lost Abbey's beers; high percentage, low-moderate bitterness and a relative sweet taste. Think this is a good beer to get her? If not, I'm taking recommendations for this little old sweetheart. Help make her birthday something to remember.

Other urls found in this thread:

beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/259/1708/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why are you trying to get an old lady drunk, user?

Because she's gotten me drunk, and I want to return the favor. She's a real hoot, I'll tell you what. Goes above and beyond on the job, and is a real good person to boot. She's worked with me on a lot of projects and made my life just a bit easier. I want to get her something good this year and show her everything she does is really appreciated.

Hey man were going to need some pictures to accurately determine her tastes.

She sounds really sweet, and you're very sweet for doing this for her. You should get citrus-y IPAs for her. If you can get it, Elysian's Jasmine IPA is really good.

She kind of looks like this. Got one of them adorable pug faces.

I'll see if it's in stock at my local Bevmo. Just in case it's not though, taking a few more recommendations.

Actually, if you're not being a real ironic dick, you sound like a decent human being. I wouldn't go with an IPA because you said she didn't like bitter. The Belgian is probably best.

In all likelihood, when you extend that kind of thoughtful kindness to someone, they probably won't care what it was you gave them. They'll simply remember the act.

Firestone Heldorado FTW op

Belgian IPA, check. I'll keep my eye out for them.

Ehhhh... I've had my share of firestone and they're a pretty average beer. This is a special occasion and I want to give her a little something more upscale. This is not to say firestone isn't good. I'd take it over a handful of other beers.. just don't think it fits the occasion.

Didn't mean Belgian IPA, just a Belgian. I'm drunk. Disregard any discrepancies in my posts. I'll circle back when I sober up this weekend--after I cut down some firewood and get over the fact that I haven't been dispersed camping in 3 weeks am an joansing to get away from civilization. Her B-day is on Tuesday, so after I polish off a bottle of whiskey on Sunday I'll make my way to the store and make an 'informed' decision on what to get this little ol' sweetheart.

Get her St. Bernardus abt 12. It's pretty hard to find a more acclaimed beer at that price.

A little proof for you.

beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/259/1708/

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is great and would be my recommendation. And a 2nd choice that's way different try the Abita Andy Gator. My overall favorite beer

This thread gives me hope for Veeky Forums.
No 'go'za, no fast food, no dead dog.

What's weird to me is that even though IPA's are known for being very bitter, I don't find them to taste very bitter. To me they taste crisp for lack of better term.

Dude get her Aventinus, I know how this woman feels. Hands down the best, least bitter and full complex deliciousnesss that she needs.

Total Wines have it, btw. If Ameribro

Have you had the Abita Wrought Iron IPA? It is absolutely amazing. Tastes like fucking grapefruit and is easily the most refreshing beer I've ever had

If you say so. Just remember: NO means NO.

Give it just one bump before I head out shopping tomorrow.

Does Bevmo have gift cards?