What's up with truffles? Why do people pay so much just for some mushroom...

What's up with truffles? Why do people pay so much just for some mushroom? I've had food with truffle oil and it tastes just like regular food except they add extra salt.

'Truffle oil' is a great way for restaurants to charge you twice as much as they should. It is bullshit. Do not fall for it.

I love living in the midwest. Those morels are so dry. Morels are the only food I would classify as a gift from god.

Truffle oil is usually synthetic.

>What's up with truffles?
It's delicious.
>Why do people pay so much just for some mushroom?
It's delicious and worth the price on occasion. Also your picture is of a morel, truffle grow underground, like a potato or ginger, and don't look like "mushroom". You use super thin slices.
>I've had food with truffle oil and it tastes just like regular food except they add extra salt.
You had shit truffle oil then, the taste can be overwhelming if you use too much truffle. And it's not more salty than a potato (without salt obviously)

Those are morels

I came here to say this

Morel forging protip they can be positively IDed if they're hollow inside

It's just a food that people use to seem high class

It's a meme, imagine if we were born in an alternate timeline where potatoes were rare.
They would slice them up real thin and fry them on the pan with pepper and salt, and it'd cost you a fortune.

It's the Fungi Jew

Like most luxury items, they have no real actual value and are forced memes from the Jew to line his pockets with your Shekels.

Its actually the fucking nazis that ruined truffles for every day use. They are extremely hard to farm, but some guy in France had finally figured out how to do it at the beginning of the century. He got established and the price of truffles was actually coming down. Then WWII happened and the farm was wiped

Is this true? Source, please.

Its literally on the fucking wiki page for truffles

Take it easy there, kosher boi.

Ah, the good old OP acts like a retard by posting a pic unrelated to the topic at hand and thinking he's "trolling" "LOL they're responding to me!!1!!1!" complete with the ever present /pol/tard who has wandered away from his containment zone and is too dense to realize his brand of shitposting is done ironically everywhere else outside his hugbox, all we need now is the McChicken and you will have achieved the shitpost trifecta OP.

kek'd damn hard.

>Its literally on the fucking wiki page for truffles

I've looked at every wiki page related to truffles and don't see shit. Fuck off you filthy kike

They taste good and are hard to harvest.

Because they are seasonal.

Cause they taste fucking good

Want to know a funny story about that ?

Google the king of Poland and getting his subjects to eat potatoes.

ok...........

>WWII happened
>it was the Nazis fault
great meme. next you're gonna tell me churchill was a righteous dude.

Kike detected

That is a funny story. I googled it.

>Guy says some Nazis pulled some stupid shit
>/pol/ defense force emerges from the aether
>Bbbbbut 'em nazis were good boys! They dindu NUFFIN!

really made me think

got him

b-b-b-b-b-b-back to tumblreddit coalburning faggaroni

Well said my fellow /pol/acks! xD how will libcucks ever recover???
Hitler did nothing wrong amirite xDDD

>I've had food with truffle oil and it tastes just like regular food except they add extra salt
Are you a heavy smoker? Truffle oil is cloyingly distinct especially since they usually use way too much.

>came here to say this xD
Return to reddit immediately.

>Why do people pay so much just for some mushroom?
They have no morels

Op posted morrels. How the hell did a mushroom thread turn into a nazi thread. Only here I geuss.

Truffle oil has nothing to do with truffles, it's a chemical used in perfumes.

Fuck off.

Anyone taste freeze dried or frozen truffles from China?

You first /pol/-kun.

Oh, I am a kek'ing.

The sarcastic ridicule of the /pol/tards in this thread has been fucking hilarious.

It must be the same guy. Oh the wit, the humor. I'm serious. I haven't laughed so hard in a long, long time. Thanks. It felt really good to just belly laugh about it.

Please don't reply to me ever again. You type like a Trump supporter.

I did Google it and couldn't find shit.
What the hell, user?
I hope you get food poisoning.

>trump supporter

No. That's why I needed the belly laugh so much. Thanks. It was a great release.

>tfw live in a truffle producing area where they are marginally more expensive than regular mushrooms

You guys are like little children. Truffles are great, very distinct taste which many people around the world enjoy. One doesn't eat them in every meal though, why would you sperg out about how pricey they are?

Listen to this man. He knows the truth.

>where they are marginally more expensive than regular mushrooms
not the `real´ones then...

those are dry landfish nigga

FACT: All mushrooms are fungi, but not all fungi mushrooms.Types of fungi that aren’t mushrooms include the non-fruiting parts of mushrooms,yeast, mildew, and mold.

Types of Truffles

Truffles come in two general types the black truffle and white truffle (and chocolate truffles which have no relation). Both grow in different parts of the world and have different flavors. Becausetruffles grow underground, they can be hard to find and therefore fetch a high price. Given their pungent taste, which is a bitlike garlic, and their rarity, it is common to use truffle as shavings or oil in fine dining. No one eats a whole truffle in one sitting except truffle hogs. Truffles areused forflavor and as garnishes.

I can say, I've had both black and white truffle oil, working fine dining, and its quite good, maybe not worth all the $$$, but still, very good.

anyone ever had Chicken of the Woods?
I inhale this stuff honestly, its so good.

I really wonder why fungus hasn't taken off as a popular alternative food as opposed to soy shit (which tastes awful)

blame WW1 for the truffle shortage

france was absolutely fucking full of truffles out the ass. WW1 fucked up the ground so much with all the trenches and artillery that large truffle fields were irreparably ruined

it takes fucking forever to get the conditions right for growing a truffle. hundreds of years.

It looks like the kind of fungus that kills you after a long, insightful hallucinatory adventure.

I say go for it.

Also had an actual, out-loud laugh. Have a good day, user.

Oh, its kind of a ridiculous story. Potatoes are easy to farm and rich in nutrients, but they look hideous. The Polish commoners didn't want anything to do with this turd-looking vegetable despite food shortages, so the king made a personal potato garden and forbade people from taking any of his potatoes.

Suddenly, the garden was picked nearly clean and potatoes became quite popular.

I bulk up meat or completely substitute it with mushroom varieties from my Chinese market. It saves money and tastes fucking delicious.

For me it is the McFish, the cuckshed of fast food sandwiches

Sensible kek

its all about the truffle-fries

It's incredible. I love the texture, and it freezes amazingly, so if I find a lot of it I can hang on to it for a couple months and eat it at my leisure

Potatoes were rumoured to be poisonous (because plants from same family are) and somehow evil (the Bible doesn't talk about them). It was pig food at best.
Parmentier did the same trick in France, having soldiers guard fields (only during the day). Shepard pie is now called after him in French.

Morel of the story is OP is a faggot

>Parmentier did the same trick in France, having soldiers guard fields (only during the day). Shepard pie is now called after him in French.
"potage parmentier" ( potatoe soup)
"hachie parmentier" ( mashed potatoes with ground meat)
etc

Well played