I'm kinda new here

Hi lit people, i'm sort of from mu but don't really browse it that much. I'm sort of into lit and a bit of philosophy but i'm kind of not that well-read honestly. The most patrician thing i've probably ever read is Letters to A Young Poet by Rilke, or 'On the Shortness of Life' by you-probably-know-who. I posted to ask if you guys can give me recs that explore the ideas presented in Phil Elverum's (Mount Eerie, the Microphones) music - largely eastern philosophies about the natural world and impermanence, and valuing the flawed. I know of HanShan, who is an obvious way to go considering the quote in pic related, but I'd like a pool if its doable. Thanks guys, and mods obv delet this post if its violating any rules i missed

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl
dropbox.com/s/entqc72yjf12419/tree1.zip?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/h5m5u6nlgdmttjz/Road to Heaven Encounters with Chinese Hermits By Bill Porter, Steven Johnson - Bill Porter.pdf?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/z4c3h0uqe5v22jo/Poems of the Masters - Red Pine.mobi?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/j2uf2ueevicuyus/Zen Poems of Ryokan, The - Nobuyuki Yuasa.pdf?dl=0
youtube.com/watch?v=5f0WmTbyBwo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Start with the Greeks.

Who in particular? Like 'the Republic' and shit?

Some people will say the pre socratics and then Plato and then Aristotle sort of thing. I'd start with Homer if I were you tho. Leave Plato's Republic until later since it's both an important and generally misunderstood work, the Cambridge Short Introduction to Plato is a quite straightforward read and while prepare you quite well for diving into the dialogues.

Read the Chinese poets translated by Red Pine, and his book on Chinese hermits. Add to it some Japanese poetry, and maybe read Walden?

Phil Elverum's music is great, nice taste.

>largely eastern philosophies about the natural world and impermanence, and valuing the flawed.
Taoism and wabisabi?

oh, and poetry of Ryokan is nice too, I think that you'll like it.

If you want I'll upload those books for you.

ok, sounds alright

yeah!
fuck, that sounds great man i'd love that
>nice taste
thnks my dude : )

I didn't want to use them in case i didn't properly understand the terms

Readings in Classical Chinese Philosophy - Ivanhoe & Van Norden

Maybe some 'transcendentalist' / back-to-the-land kind of people like Emerson or Thoreau.

Also the Daodejing, and I second the chinese hermit poetry that Red Pine has translated. He is a great translator, get his version of the Dao as well.

Also, the presocratics like fragments of Heraclitus / The poem of Parmenides, if you are into profound, seemingly paradoxical statements about the nature of being.

>Maybe some 'transcendentalist' / back-to-the-land kind of people like Emerson or Thoreau.

Seconding this.

Just realised i have walden lmao, is it good?

Listen to one of these a day

listen?

forgot link woops

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl

I wish I could move to Norway for a bit.

what programs in partic? i've listened to some nice Alain de Botton R4 stuff before (i'm aware he might be plebby)
me too man

I believe Living Wabi Sabi is a good very basic introduction. Beyond that I only know a few architectural texts and a handful of people influenced by similar ideas, but they deal with aesthetics more I passing than anything.

For taoism get the Tao Te Ching to start off. Try the Robert Henricks one, Ursula K Le Guin has one too but I haven't read it myself, but both are meant to be accessible.

As an aside, John Cage talks a lot about Taoism since he used concepts of it in his music. Also haikus. Quite interesting and brings it back to music.

whatever your interested in

the show has covered many topics, from Daoism to Nuclear Fusion to Roman Britain to Neoplatonism

mobi and pdf files are all right?

oh sweet, i'll trawl through then haha
pdf is fine, what's a mobi?

mobi is for the kindle, but you can read in on computer using calibre, or make a pdf file of it using calibre.

dropbox.com/s/entqc72yjf12419/tree1.zip?dl=0

tell me if it works, and I'll upload some more, in this one there's some chinese poetry and a very nice collection called drifting boat.

dropbox.com/s/h5m5u6nlgdmttjz/Road to Heaven Encounters with Chinese Hermits By Bill Porter, Steven Johnson - Bill Porter.pdf?dl=0

the book about Chinese hermits.

also, you may like American Primitivism, try listening to John Fahey, Robbie Basho or Sandy Bull's first album. I'll post the Ryokan's poems next.

sweet, i should really look into buying it probably. What's the consensus on pirating books on this board?

thanks dude

dropbox.com/s/z4c3h0uqe5v22jo/Poems of the Masters - Red Pine.mobi?dl=0

Here are the chinese poems, and the poems of ryokan

dropbox.com/s/j2uf2ueevicuyus/Zen Poems of Ryokan, The - Nobuyuki Yuasa.pdf?dl=0

Fuck, John Cage is amazing why have i never heard of him before

>OP literally asks for stuff pertaining to eastern philosophy which deals with impermanence
>gets told to read western philosophy which begins with the greeks who were primarily concerned with ethics, virtue, justice etc

OP "start with the greeks" is a meme comment here because it is said to anyone who is interested in getting into philosophy. doesn't mean it is wrong. the greeks are definitely the right place to start for most people but you aren't one of them.

since you mentioned eastern philosophy and want to explore impermanence then the greeks won't be helpful. the only category of greeks that come close to that notion might be the stoics who repeatedly emphasized the notion of the insignificance and short nature of life. From that they formulated a system of ethics and a defence against grief. If you're interested in that then check out "art of living - epictetus" and "meditations - aurelius". That is the extent to which I would ask you to go into the greeks given your interest.

For eastern philosophy, you might want to check out or learn more on buddhism. I can't personally recommend any books since i have read so few.

I strongly suspect that you will adore "sidhhartha - hermann hesse".

i did also mention that i was looking to get into philosophy more generally, and i'm currently reading Meditations and enjoying it a lot, especially as I loved on the Shortness of life. I am cautious of getting into plato etcetera just because i don't think i want to get locked into thinking as an objectivist and all that

Who is Phil Elverum and why was he in Norway?

I'm Norwegian. It's very expensive here. If you're aspiring engineers you could get work here easily, though.

Phil Elverum is a musician, he had a mental breakdown and went to live in the northern forests in a log cabin for 8 months, Thoreau style if i'm right. This is the album that came as a result, as well as a book he wrote whilst there: youtube.com/watch?v=5f0WmTbyBwo

link doesnt work anymore pal

try now

Came here to say Emerson.

what in particular by emerson?

Thanks friend ! hope you have a good day :)

>gets told to read western philosophy
It wasn't "western philosophy" at the time and they deal with impermanence.

I dont know why nobody is mentioning it but.... MOBY DICK.
It literally has chapters of Melville just dreaming away over the sea, in a way very few other writers can.
It's what transcendentalism looks like when poured into an epic novel by an artist like Melville..

Tao Te Ching and Wind, Sand and Stars

Just pick up a collection of his essays.

ok : )

In Praise of Shadows

Got a link to this?

Yes.

His wife died recently, I even donated to their crowdfunding campaign, but it was too late.

i know man, its so sad.