What's the general opinion of these books? I just started rereading the series for the first time...

What's the general opinion of these books? I just started rereading the series for the first time. I had the first five read by the sixth grade, and shortly after that Half Blood Prince came out, but I haven't gone back to them since the series concluded, nor am I that familiar with the movies beyond the first three. I'm halfway through Philosopher's Stone right now and damn it if it isn't comfy as fuck

Good for tweens and teens. Crap writing.

What are you, a broad? Get the fuck out of here.

The writing sucks but I don't care. I found it comfy too when I read them all for the first time about 6 years ago.
Read them all back to back really quickly it was a good experience.

They're a combination of hero's journey fantasy, playful Roald Dahl-esque wackadoodle inventiveness, and blunt anti-racism/anti-discrimination metaphor. They're pretty good at what they do, which is is straightforward and memorable YA fantasy that starts out quirky and later becomes more serious and tense.

Good children's books, especially the earlier ones. The quality dropped off as the series went on.

My main strike against HP is that it really inaugurated the whole young adult literature craze, even if it was initially unintentional.

When will the "poorly written fantasy tripe is good for children" meme finally die?

I hate the fact that it started as children's literature and degenerated into YA.
I mean, I get it, the readers were growing older but it's a blatant gesature that shows that these books were more a comercial thing than actual literature. If it all had stayed innocent and for children I would be ok with it, but no, ti ahd to go "oh so dark and cruel and rebel" It makes me sick to my stomach.

PS: The movies are good tho, they are comfy as fuck. I love everytime it snows in taht universe, it's so comfortable to watch snow fall on that scenary.

If you didn't read them as a kid there is absolutely no point in reading them now as an adult, you missed out and they aren't very good.

It's good for stunting the intellectual growth of children.

The Chris Columbus ones were the best

>tho
>scenary
Ladies and gentlemen, the intellect of someone who thinks the Harry Potter movies are "good."

Why do you guys mix with the word "though" so much tho?
Although
Tough
Thought
Though
It's dazzling

Pretty good to be honest, OP. It deals with important themes such as death, prejudice, growing up, etc so I guess it is a good introduction to literature for teenagers. The books have not-so-great prose, but still it is amazing that kids are reading something nowadays instead of prostituting

i love these books and the movies, i think alot of the hate for them is from serial contrarians

My hate for them comes from the fact that the villains suck.

There is no thought whatsoever put into their motivations. The idea is that Voldemort and the slytherins hate muggle-borns because their magic is inferior, weakening with every spout of mixing with non-wizards.

Not once is it ever shown how they came to this conclusion in the first place. And once you think about this, it makes you consider whether or not muggle-born magic might actually be weaker, in spite of how hard the books try to press that it's not.

Personally? I think Slytherin was the good guys and Voldemort did nothing wrong.

>series "degenerated" into YA literature.

You guys forget that Harry Potter started the trend of YA. Before harry potter, YA fiction were shitty teen romance novels, overly dramatic school dramas. Harry potter made the niche fantasy epic teenage adventure into something marketable.

The later books pulled this off by having an above average plot despite the bad prose.

The fact that way too many other YA fictions borrows heavily to make a quick buck is irrelevant.

>The idea is that Voldemort and the slytherins hate muggle-borns because their magic is inferior, weakening with every spout of mixing with non-wizards.

That point really isn't dwelled on too much either, mainly Slytherin just hates mixed-race wizards because they are different and Voldemort wants to do evil things because he's evil

I guess by the end he sort of wants to become wizard world king and reform the school system

The muggle-hate was stated to have started when muggles started persecuting magical folk hundreds of years before. The original Slytherin was raysiss against muggle-born children in Hogwarts because of the then-current anti-magic sentiment of the outside world; he didn't think they were trustworthy.

The idea, I guess, is that the current generation of baddies mostly descend from families who've been inbreeding for the past 1000 years to prevent "non magic infiltration", producing some rather unstable individuals, including Voldemort, after the dozenth generation of cousins or closer fucking.

>I guess by the end he sort of wants to become wizard world king and reform the school system

Nah, his major motivation was that he wanted to live forever/not die.

>Reading Harry Potter.
>Not building contextual knowledge of Greek mythology, philosophical though and history of magic.

>history of magic

They need to fire Binns.

I'm extremely excited for Cursed Child and I'll probably stay up all night reading it before my 6:00 AM shift. I haven't been this genuinely excited about a book release since DH.

Here OP you should follow this chart.