Why did frog meat and frog soups go out of style in the US? They used to be quite common...

Why did frog meat and frog soups go out of style in the US? They used to be quite common. I have a cookbook from the 1890's, and it has several pages of frog recipes. Now it seems confined to pricey and/or Asian restaurants, which is a long way from its American roots as a hearty country dish.

>Why did frog meat and frog soups go out of style in the US?
did they?
trump, romney and priebus ate frog together just the other day!

...at a fancy Manhattan restaurant. You can also get braised hare flambé at that place as I recall, which is another dish/animal that has largely fallen off of the popular menu in the bulk of America.

Frog legs are pretty good. Taste like chicken but with better texture.

cost of raising them is more expensive than poultry/beef/pigs, probably.
Return on investment.

ive had them at a Chinese restaurant. breddy good.

I can also go frog hunting with a bow, legally, if I were so inclined

My state is actively encouraging people to go out and catch them, but I haven't made the time. I do catch crayfish, though. It's just too easy.

>rusty crayfish

Sounds like a sexual position

Likely the same reason turnip, parsnip and acorn recipes were popular in my country from the 1400s and earlier then quickly fell out of favour: they're seen as a poverty food. Other than a few parts of the country which eat turnip greens, we /exclusively/ grow turnips, parsnips and acorns to feed pigs now.
We still eat frog, though. Here's a picture of some sautéed in butter and oil with shallots laurels and pepper and finished with lemon juice.

Where I'm at they are fairly common, and had them the last time I went to Mexico.

Looks tasty as fuck famiglia

In the 80s or 90s, something in politics happened and French cuisine stopped being trendy because going to French cafes/restaurants was seen as unpatriotic.
If anyone can remember what that political thing was, I'm curious.

> a long way from its American roots as a hearty country dish.

I think the French might have something to say about that.

During the 80s the French refused to let the US use their bases to bomb Libya. In 2003, France refused to join the coalition to invade Iraq.

I think it has more to do with frog being seen as a poverty food and factory farming allowing even the working classes to regularly eat inexpensive beef and chicken.

Motherfucker I'm from the south ga swamp and I eat frog, turtle, and my favorite, gator, all the time. We kill a lot of gators on our property and I always have the meat in my freezer

And today, due to intensive ranching/farming practices by a large number of farmers/ranchers, we have competition and that competition between various farmers and ranchers keeps the price of beef and pork relatively low. There are few, on the other hand, commercial sources of frog with little competition and this drives up the price. I can get a pork shoulder for 99¢US/lb where the edible portion ratio will be nearly 80% of the weight. A beef brisket, with an EPR of 100%, can cost as little as $2.79/lb. Whole frog, on the other hand, has an EPR of about 35% or, if buying frog's legs only, about 55%. Whole frog is at least $1.99/lb (usually higher) while legs are at least $3.99/lb (usually higher; my local supermarket currently has them at $5.99/lb, frozen).

As is often pointed out, what used to be the food of the poor and underclass is now the food of the wealthy and elite. Weird, really.

The same thing happened with lobster. They used to consider it so worthless that they would feed it to inmates in prison but somewhere along the line it became high cuisine.

Where the fuck do you live where Brisket is

That's the price on manager's special.
Normal price is typically around $5.49, but occasionally drops to $2.99/lb.
Seems the supermarket buyer hasn't figured out that there aren't enough people from cultures who traditionally cook and eat brisket to buy it in large-ish amounts so it gets routinely marked down on manager's special to $2.79/lb when it's two-to-three days from expiry.
I don't buy it often because the supermarket tends to trim too much fat off of it and I like my brisket nice and fatty.
A Vietnamese supermarket nearby recently expanded their butcher's counter and now sells whole primals, including briskets (which average 16lbs or so each). They're completely untrimmed, so they're nice and fatty. These brisket primals are also $2.79/lb, though I haven't bought one yet because I won't have the freezer space for three 4lb briskets until I use up what I have in there already.

>That's the price on manager's special.
I was going to say, that's so cheap for a brisket, even in Britain, where beef isn't a premium meat as it is is many countries in continental Europe, it's a bit on the cheap side. There is no way this can be an everyday price.

I think if you asked an average american about frog and hare meat, they'd respond that frogs are "ewwww" and hares are cute bunnies and not for eating. Maybe that's the reason.

I think you are right.
Many people seem squeamish about certain foods, whereas a few years ago, it would not have been a problem.
In Britain Oysters used to be called 'Poor mans meat' . . .now the price is just silly money.

Many older dishes have fallen by the wayside and it's a shame, maybe it's because people are so used to finding food in their local supermarket, pre-packaged and ready to go rather than preparing it themselves?

Where in Europe would brisket or beef in general be considered a premium meat v an everyday meat? It's more expensive here in the US for a brisket of lesser quality than it is in my home country for a better quality brisket.
As said, it's $5.49 normal price, but looking up prices back home, it's €0.75/hg which translates to about €3.38/lb (or around $3.61US/lb). It's one of the cheapest cuts available and thank goodness for that because it's also one of my favourites.

Beef and chicken prices went way down so we no longer have to eat frogs

I doubt it, smaller creatures are generally much more efficient.
It takes a lot of feed and time to grow a cow or pig.

It's probably more cultural.

This meme gets repeated by every moron who heard it once someplace.

The shit the prisoners were being fed wasn't fresh from a tank or freezer with clarified butter like in high-class restaurants, it was the mostly spoiled leftovers that couldn't be sold and it was prepared by boiling it to shit to somewhat mask the spoilage and mashing it up shell and all.

Before modern refrigeration and tank containment methods it was simply impossible to get fresh lobster unless you were right there when it was caught and as soon as those methods were developed it spread to any high-class place that could afford it.

kek

You seem kindhearted, empathizing with the criminals' food regimine. Good on ya.

Of course you realize, the prisoners would literally eat you alive if they got hungry, right?

>eating bugs

What, pouring a little historical accuracy on a hot meme suddenly makes me a prisoner's rights advocate?