What is Veeky Forums's opinion on whether or not Fried Chicken should be Battered or Breaded

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on whether or not Fried Chicken should be Battered or Breaded

I cook for a lot of friends and family and usually do battered chicken and it's always preferred. However when I ask folk what they prefer, they usually say breaded.

Other urls found in this thread:

homemaderecipes.com/18th-century-fried-chicken-recipe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Now that you mention it I don't think I've ever eaten fried chicken that has been breaded. Only ever battered/egg wash + flour.

Where do you live, 95%+ of fried chicken in the U.S. is just dredged in egg and then flour (breaded)

breaded because goes crunchier

Sorry, I was considering breaded to involve actual bread crumbs in some manner.

Going off that I definitely prefer breaded.

Can you make it crispy with batter?

Never had battered fried chicken, seems like it's something that works better with lighter fried stuff like seafood and vegetables.

Only battered chicken I've ever had was the wings at my local bar. Good enough that the place has built up a reputation for best wings in the area. IMO fried batter interacts with the sauce a bit better tham breading, doesn't get as soggy and makes a better wing. Still like unbreaded wings too though.

I think both can be fanastic as long as whoever is making them knows what they're doing.

Ironically this is the closest thing I can get to a pic of the battered wings.

I've literally never heard of battered fried chicken.

Bread for chicken, batter for fish. Simples

Bumpity for more opnions

so then what would you consider to be battered in america? in Australia we consider things coated in flour and liquid to be battered, while breaded means covered with bread crumbs

what is an american 'batter'?

I love my chicken tendies battered.

In Murica, breaded typically means (at least in the south) that it's been dipped in eggs (or maybe milk) and then flour. Typically dip in eggs, then flour, then do it in eggs and flour again

Battering means mixing flour with some combination of eggs, milk, and/or water into something the consistency of about pancake batter. You them dip the food in it and then fry it

Hope all these words make sense, I don't speak Kangaroo

batters are wet and breadings are dry.

>in Australia we consider things coated in flour and liquid to be battered

Ignore this dopey cunt. We don't.

the tendies at chili's are battered and I like them a lot. people who put bread crumbs or corn flakes on their fried chicken are subhuman though.

Does someone have a good recipe for a batter? I've only done breading so far I think. I usually make it with flour, buttermilk, seasoning and baking powder.
Pic related

Breaded chicken

Local place used to batter chicken
It was absolutely delicious as long as you are it within an hour, take your order to go and it became a soggy mess

Fried Chicken™ is dipped in a batter and then a dry dredge of some sort. it's then fried for a relatively long time. Breadcrumbs would burn if fried for 10 minutes.

Breading is better for fast cooking food like chicken cutlets, schnitzel, and seafood.

The batter from that 18th century chicken meme recipe is really good

homemaderecipes.com/18th-century-fried-chicken-recipe/

ignore EVERYTHING except the batter

>1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
>white wine
>3 egg yolks
>1 tsp. salt

If breaded means egg then flour, what do you call flour, egg then breadcrumbs?

Still call breaded people usually say breaded with breadcrumbs

Bones = breaded
Boneless = battered

I was initially going to call you retarded....but thinking about it, I think you're right

>battered chicken schnitzel
shiggidty

batter is a wet coating and breading is egg + breadcrumbs, hence the term 'bread'ing

Flour = Breaded
Batter = Battered
Breadcrumbs = Crumbed

Breaded is just for losers who don't know how to make a crispy batter

Then post a recipe