So i have to take an introductory programming course, and I don't know any programming languages

So i have to take an introductory programming course, and I don't know any programming languages.

The course uses python, how relatable is it to lua or C#?

it's an introductory course, you're not supposed to know any.

python is xkcd-tier plebbit meme language for hipster physicists but it works

It has exactly one thing going for it: it's not perl.

C# is also a meme language but it is a language business-types know about so it gets used.

Programming with nearly any language developed since 1974 will be fine. No significant progress has been made in making better languages since scheme, just lots of little things.

How about you just fucking learn any language first. Just make sure you don't learn some shitty one like VB or COBOL. Every language in that list is fine. They mostly differ in how they are implemented (interpreted vs compiled etc). If you want a job then you should know multiple programming languages anyway (javascript effectively mandatory because browsers are everywhere).

>javascript effectively mandatory because browsers are everywhere

I know Java... that's pretty much the same thing, right?

>c
>no web platform
Only for plebs

It doesen't mattee what you start in, kust make sure it's not javascript

Python is super cozy. It's a go to choice whenever you are doing something that doesn't require speed or scale.

It's kind of similar to lua. C# is very similar to Java.

Op ask /g/ not sci ffs
Also, Python is a steaming pile of shit.
It takes so long to compile and its slow.
>But my science and math programs!
Kys

No not even remotely related

>Implying

Agree to disagree

learn python then bleach your mind afterwards when they teach you about the superior language, C

>It takes so long to compile and its slow.

>Python

>compile

kys

As a network security engineer, python is great for creating powerful "programs" very fast. I use this to craft exploits and simple PoCs very fast.

However, it will not teach you how computers work. For this, I recommend learning C, then learning Assembly language. Through assembly, you will gain a complete understanding of what goes on under the hood. Assembly is not a language itself but a dialect that changes between architectures.

I agree pretty much with . Perl though has its uses, e.g. scraping through huge amounts of data with its easy REGEXP (python can do this by importing re though).

It all boils down to what are your goals? A computer language is just a tool in your arsenal. Select which one is appropriate for the task at hand. Once again, remember that source code is only useful for the programmers. In the real world, the end product is what gets reverse engineered and exploited, thus assembly and deep understanding of computer architecture plays a huge role.

>inb4 network security engineer in Veeky Forums
Math and Physics are the root of these tools we work with. I hope you are working just as hard in your math and physica courses, and if your degree doesn't require them, then please take those courses as electives. You will gain so much from them.

If you know 1 programming language, you know all of them!

Well, it's a bit of an exaggeration, but it's technically correct statement.
The key-words are different the logic and program flow mostly the same, unless you decide to go with functional programming. Then the flow is a bit different, but why would you want to go there... it's for non-humans.

First language for anyone should be C imo, then Go or Python can be learned

you are so fucking retarded, how the fuck functional languages and procedural languages same?

He literally never implied that. Throw yourself in a fucking oven.

There's more than procedural and functional.

c# and lua are Veeky Forums memes
don't take advice from math undergrads who couldn't complete the CS degree.
python is the first programming language taught because it's easy and powerful

how to program in python:
step1: import program
step2: program();

tada you're done, now go learn a real language

python does actually compile to bytecode

Learn C to get the right mindset on programming.

Then learn hasklel for fun

While this thread is on the topic, what is F# used for and is it worth learning?

I haven't used F# myself but from what i've heard as functional languages go it's a little odd as to allow it to integrate with c#. If you already do c# it would be good to learn it, otherwise if you want to learn a functional language do haskell. Scala I think uses the JVM and can use java libraries with bindings I think, so that could be helpful if you use java

I was thinking of java, my bad