If a coin is tossed in a forest and no one is around to see it, is it still 50/50?

if a coin is tossed in a forest and no one is around to see it, is it still 50/50?

huh really makes you think

how can the trees be real if the wind isn't real?

gtfo

sage

You can't say for certain that nobody is around to see it. Someone either is or they isn't. 50/50. Q.E.D.

It's heads and tails at the same time because there's nobody around to collapse its wave function.

Really fires those synpses

Nope. If there's no one around to see it, then you have no information about its position. By the Uncertainty Principle, this means that you can exactly calculate its momentum, allowing you to figure out which side it will land on.

Of course not, i mean we never see the coin, it could be double heads or tails.

>A tree falls in a forest and only deaf people are around. Does it make a sound?
Ignore that question, it's too obvious. Here's a better one.

After an accident a man is alone laying in a hospital bed has no senses left. He can not feel, hear, see, taste, smell, taste, or use any of this other more obscure senses. Does the hospital and hospital bed exist?

Another extension of the previous one.
You are alone, laying in bed and you fall asleep. You can no longer sense anything as you are no longer conscious. Does the world outside of you continue exist?

money. we all agree it has value

Reality does not require observation

Here's an even more interesting question: Given that our eyes are not real, how can mirrors exist?

Can you back up that claim to be more than naive intuition?

The complete lack of any reason to think reality does require observation

How is there nobody around? Somebody had to toss that coin.

This

it will be in a super position state where it is at every possibility at the same time

These are several assumptions that all fall under "intuition".

What happens when you flip two identical coins both in superposition, then they collide with each other. They both remain unobserved except for the fact that they're interacting with each other. What happens now?

Interaction is observation

I meant 2 objects in superposition are observing each other, but to the outside world remain unobserved and do not interact with the outside world.

In the words of a quantum physicist
"I don't know"

what happens if I flip a coin into a time machine which will carry it backwards one minute and if the coin is heads someone will stop me from flipping the coin?

It must be observed.

how do we know they're in a forest if nobody sees them? could their spatial placement also be a superposition?

Even if you completely know it's momentum, that doesn't help you with anything unless you know how close to the ground it is.

then it's tails