Veeky Forums BTFO, NO CHANCE OF RECOVERY

Well boys, it's been a fun ride, but I'm packing up my things and buying a copy of Harry Potter from Barnes and Noble today. Don't ever forget that """"""""""literature"""""""""" is nothing more than a vapid, meaningless term assigned to any book written by an old white man.

Aw, you put a lot of effort in to this, and I feel for you, so here's an (OP)

k.

even though you're just trying to get a rise out of people here, i agree with what she says. Veeky Forums is filled with the most mundane, pretentious people. just have a look at the "post your poetry/writing". the average Veeky Forums poster is unattractive, jas no chance with women and has lottle to no friends. so they take it out by "reading", to get over their inferiority complex.

inb4 butthurt. if you were actually self aware you'd realize im right.

When will the "old = boring" meme die?

>Doesn't mean you get to look down on the rest of the literary spectrum.

Yes...yes it does.

I'm attractive and married with more friends than I wish I had.

Also, that girl in the text is an idiot.

I don't read literature to feel smart or because I'm pretentious, I read literature because if I read popular adult fiction it makes me want to kill myself

>Dry text

Plz.

I don't read modern literature because it is written by people who have been conditioned and trained to feel and experience and perceive reality the same way as everyone else. If you're reading books written after schools (mass indoctrination facilities) were created then you are absorbing the same rhetoric and logic which surrounds you all the time.

The only exception is books like Mein Kampf, written as true counterculture, but even then, it still reeks of modernist outlook and reasoning.

This seems more like a misguided lash-out against pretensious hipsters than against literature itself. Have this discussion in an academic setting and not your iphone.

and reading Harry Potter is an overcorrection on your part- jumping from one extreme to another. I read the first chapter of the first book before realizing that it's a literal children's series. Not even YA, straight up children.

Just because some kid read Nietzsche and got called out by some girl about being up his own ass doesn't mean your petty "epiphany" applies to literature as a whole

This is Teen's First Artistic Conflict: The Thread

>dry text supposedly wrought with profundity
The only one too fucking dense to read "dry text" is you, fucking dumb bitch. Keep on projecting your own shortcomings while telling yourself that you're on the same league as I am while you read the next red hot YA novels. Keep on telling yourself that, the truth is a bitter fruit and you'd rather see yourself through emojis anyway.

Honestly, I'd still slide her my hot dick though.

>fucking dumb bitch

you don't have issues

>dry text
Why do they always get this wrong?

But most of the lit I read is by Asian people, and most often by Asian women.

Unless you're talking about Anias Nin, please deposit your copy of infinite Jest at the door and leave.

>self-proclaimed
Not really.

>wrought
No one's going to comment on this?

Example of one of the Bildungsromane she's referring to? I assume doesn't exactly mean Wilhelm Meisters Lehrjahre...
>Dry text
I actually don't get how you can call the Greeks dry unless you are linguistically impaired.

>the average Veeky Forums poster is unattractive, jas no chance with women and has lottle to no friends. so they take it out by "reading", to get over their inferiority complex
tell me why this is a bad thing

>dry text

Bitch you'd best not be calling Joyce and Faulkner "dry"

>Keep on telling yourself that, the truth is a bitter fruit and you'd rather see yourself through emojis anyway.

you understand that this is literally never going to be read by the person who wrote that, right?

just because you mathematicians read books about quantum physics and spectral sequences and create proofs, doesn't mean you get to look down on me when I count out your change on my fingers at McDonalds.

Surely a timeless bildungsroman would be a classic? Many classics are timeless bildungsroman(s?) at any rate

I think it's the funniest thing when some idiot tries to pretend that just because they can't understand meaningful literature then neither can anyone else. Just fuck off.

i never thought of it this way. that's why infinite jest felt like double vision for me, that's why his inner voice sounded like mine. because he's a god damn zombie just like me.

IThis stinks too high heaven of OH im so a learned Americano ..Thieving bits of info from diverse locations and putting them together as yours is retarded.. remeber the Apples !!

It was the "impactful" that really made me cringe.

>mathematicians still eat at McDonalds in 2016

lol fucking gross what a bunch of losers

>Too reactionary for Hitler

Mon semblable, mon frere!

How is Anais Nin Asian at all?

It's strange you'd put her above people like Murasaki Shikibu, much less all of the Eastern canon.

>Dry text supposedly wrought with profundity that readers pretend to understand is sometimes less impactful than a timeless bildungsroman with a deceivingly "simplistic" literary structure
If a book is actually timeless, then it is the definition of a classic.

Also, if you can't give a point-by-point breakdown on why literary classics are literal classics then you really should be reading Harry fucking Potter.

Yeah, and picaresques can be quite simple, yet are some of the most treasured classics, like Don Quixote (i don't consider don quixote a picaresque, though many do) complexity does not connote classical genius. she's just misinformed, I think, and as long as she's not talking about something that lacks anything genuinely worthwhile, (since harry potter could be considered a timeless bildungsroman by plebs these days) then what she's reading is quite possibly a classic and worth just as much merit as any other literature. though, people who work hard to read the more intriguing and complex masterpieces that have been written do sometimes feel a bit of disdain for people who try to insert themselves into the same "club". it can be frustrating when a person complains that you don't like their sci-fi book after you've spent years researching and mapping out and understanding a novel that was written a couple thousand years ago. It's frustrating because the work involved is something they don't completely understand, and they assume it's just haughtiness.
I shouldn't be reviled because I'd rather read Petersburg more than Dune, or reviled because I say that Petersburg is more fulfilling and downright better than Dune.

Girls who read books and think they have good tastes definitely get offended if you approach it in the wrong way. She probably has a book shelf full of jane austen and other female authors and pride and prejudice and op wasn't smooth enough to display to her how shit her tastes actually were.

No it doesn't. Your looking down on anything is pedantic bullshit that you use to fill your ego.

Now, calling something bad is not looking down on it. There are things that aren't very good. But to do so excessively, as if you are the arbiter of literature and your taste is godly (like the patrician posters)

That's just elitist faggotry and it makes you look stupid considering you are doing it on Veeky Forums.

The feel is real lonely user. Become normal or die sad.

reading literature at all os a complete meme tb h

>Dry text supposedly wrought with profundity
Here we see an admission of their inability to understand these "dry texts." This rant was clearly written out of frustration borne out of failure. Somebody who aspired to be a scholar or philosopher and found themselves unequal to the task, and now seeks to justify their mediocrity by railing against those with superior mental discipline.

Essentially, the psychology of a woman. Unable to compete, she lowers the standard of intellectual to her level. Unfortunately for her, genre fiction is not equal classic treatises on reason and understanding. A reader of harlequin romance novels is not even close to being on the same level as a reader of continental philosophy.

That's an interesting perspective I hadn't considered, and would certainly explain why my interest in literature seems to grind to a halt a couple decades into the 20th century.