What will the next groundbreaking discovery/invention be?

What will the next groundbreaking discovery/invention be?

pic unrelated

graphene, genetics or more electronics stuff

CERN isn't getting anywhere

Not sure about next, but in terms of greatest, creating a habitable atmosphere on mars and other planets will save humanity. We can do it. We have no shortage of brilliant people, only funding.

How would we do it? Make a completely enclosed environment similar to Earths?

No idea, kek.

FTL travel.

Why bother terraforming mars? It can't hold onto an atmosphere. Also it will be too hot for life when the sun expands: if you thought we could escape that by moving to mars.

Artificial Intelligence. And the next one after that Super-AI.

Is the meme that 'ai will kill us' accurate?

It's close to earth. Might prove to be more efficient to teraform it once we have the technology. If it can't hold an atmosphere on its own, who is to say we can't change that?

Borg cube is the next step.

>when the sun expands
isn't that in a few million years?

Make that a few billion

Not unless we program it to.

Meh, I'll just do it the lazy way, spend a weekend pulling cones and coding it so it codes itself, using a system similar to evolution, but not quite, so it can basically code and beta-test itself.

There's really not much left and certainlly not anything that will affect humanity in any significant way. Science for the most part is done. It is all up to inventors and engineers.

Thus, you are really only making a thread about the next groundbreaking invention.

Allow me to shoot down everything ITT,

>graphene

Wishful thinking. It will never amount to much. Best use is in electronics, but nothing ground breaking.

>genetics

Sorry, this is a pipe dream at best.

>terraforming other celestial bodies

given the time scale involved, humanity won't have time to do that

pure pure >>>/popsci/

>not much left
The biggest potential for advancement lies in Quantum Physics, of which there is plenty.

Self replicating machinery and its applications. Not really groundbreaking seeing as we could probably accomplish it right now but the applications will be.

Hiya lord kelvin

What is your idea of a relevant scientific discovery?

Michael Faraday's "inventions" were also experiments that expanded our knowledge of electricity, as a whole the discoveries proved very relevant. In the same way when we delve into genetics we are advancing science.

Net gain fusion power. Particularly if it doesnt involve gigantic tokamaks that cost 20 billion to build

Good call.

According to Sim City 2000, it should be sometime around 2040. Sim City hasn't let me down yet.

Advanced Electric Prostate Stimulation (AEPS)

I currently have a semi-functional prototype (pic), shouldn't be too long until it is fully functional.

Concur. Quantum all the way baby.

which part of that is going inside?

>Quantum Physics

Meme Physics is only for grant chasers.

You don't. That's a picture of a motor.

How do you deal with the fact that you will never get to know how science will progress in 1,000, 10,000 or 1,000,000 years?

g waves from cosmic strings. Post your face when string theory is confirmed and Veeky Forums is btfo

>implying I won't be an immortal cyborg before then

You're fucking stupid. Quantum physics will one day allow us to control the fabric of time and space, potentially preserving our universe, with all of its life-giving properties for an eternity.

That's the next big innovation, OP. It's really the only thing that there is for life to do in this place. If we can't do it, we're fucked.

It's only meme physics because we don't have the technology to research it further.

>self-replicating superorganisms
We're doing so well on this planet at the moment because we are the only thing that can claim to be anything close to a superorganism. (And unsurprisingly, making life difficult for lesser organisms in the process.) Introducing a literal one, one which will control its own reproduction no less, would be suicide.

Give me a grant and I'll develop it!

>"You're fucking stupid."
>Starts mouthing off shit.

Sure thing, kid.

I'll tell you what, if you can engineer a tool that results in a ground-breaking discovery in quantum physics, then I'll get you that grant and a hooker of your choice.

the next groundbreaking discovery will be a self replicating AI that can detect new planets orbiting the sweet spot, having a battery that charges in 5 minutes while being able to drive itself and/or only weighing 7 pounds on 24 megapixels and 8k.

Proof of ghosts or paranormal experiences.
This is the wake in the advent of breakthroughs in neurosciences and most importantly quantum mechanics that allow remote viewing possible.
A new investigation in the integrity of academics will help this out as researchers will uncover past articles like water holding memory and fraudulent cases against the electric car. As part of the freedom of information act, the "new found" articles and investigations over the paranormal will be an accident but a new form and growing of science. Of course this shit has always been known before but we have new devices that were once meant for one thing will be now used for others.

Everything we'll ever need to know about QM is already discovered you idiot. Stop jerking off to popsci videos on """quantum""" """"""""physics""""""".

t. comp chem grad student

>proof
More like, we'll gather more evidence to prove that paranormal experiences are hallucination on a fundamental level, and the insane troglodytes will still refuse to accept it.

If we already know everything we """need""' to know then I guess there's nothing left to do except get ourselves those realdolls we've been too ashamed to order and do nothing except fuck them and eat doritos until we die.

>we don't need to go to the moon

Hey bro, can I have my time machine back? I've been totally itching to pay napoleon a visit. I'll just teleport over, thanks.

More efficient means of energy production and storage (I.e. Batteries) which will result in a massive socioeconomic collapse in the Middle East and by extension Europe.

Not if we exterminate everyone who lives in the Middle East
>you now know the true reason we're involved militarily in virtually every country in the middle east

Holy shit, it all makes sense now. After all these years, now I feel stupid.

Why do we even need a groundbreaking invention when we have American chicks?

something new probably

We make them violent and push them into yurop. They then become a plague on yurop, and we become the king of the mountain once more.

>microwave plants available in 2020
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit

Dude, don't worry, I'll think of something. Here, take a hit from my idea microphone.

I have no idea, but it would be awesome if we discovered something that smashes something we thought we pretty much knew into pieces. Like aliens.

It was a joke about grant chasers, user. Quantum physics is a subject for high order grant chasers.

Isn't it amazing how we already basically know that a bunch of cool technologies are possible, but we just need to work out the engineering details?

E.g.

internet of things
quantum computers
nanotech/new materials
genetic stuff
etc.

Fucking engineers, man; step up your game. You can play minecraft all you want AFTER you build an intergalactic spaceship.

VSG are you still on Veeky Forums?

I feel like we are living in the most technologically teasting times. We know about all this awesome futuristic technology that is coming, we are sure it's coming and that it's only a matter of time. But we also know that it will all take a long time and we might not be able to witness it.

But maybe it always felt like this in any century. However I think because we have more experience our future predictions are getting better.

CRISPR

Already discovered/invented.

So, moving to a planet with no water and oxygen is somehow better than staying on earth, which is better for us to live than it's ever been?

>what is nuclear war

lazy bait, but I'll give a generous (You)

>I don't understand both the words quantum and mechanics in the word quantum mechanics: the post

>what field of science looks before we leap

I hear some seriously crazy things coming through from the human genetic engineering side of science news. I mean, you hear them talking about it initially, and you think, sweet, genetically-made babies designed to have bigger brains, stronger bods, and more disease-resistant systems, what's not to like?

Then they start talking about *aging* as one of those diseases.

Seriously, I can't even comprehend what that would do to humans. We've lived with death as a certainty in life for... well, forever. We've managed to push back the reaper a bit, but it's still pretty much got a hard limit of about 130 years or so, and usually much less than that. But when people start having lifespans of centuries, of friggin' millennia... what the hell does that do to a person? What does it do to society?

I don't honestly know if humans are ready for that. Our understanding of ethics and morality would change dramatically into something unrecognizable.

Nothing good will come from obsessions of the anus but I think we are on the verge of creating a workable Soylent Green for the masses. Go for 20 billion people, it will be epic.

Gives forever alone a whole new meaning.

>Because I'm desperate for (You)s, I will use idioms to rationalize my /x/-influenced autism.

>(you)ception

nothing left now but to sit around and wait for extinction

I try not to think of it.

Answering this would involve making the discovery.

ancient greeks knew about atoms and electricity, doesn't mean their understanding of it was groundbreaking

Why not? We can achieve immortality in the next 50 years. That's enough time for most of us to make it.

Anyone browsing Veeky Forums wont be able to afford it. It'll be the super-drug for the richest.

>Make super drug that is immortality.
>Sell it only to the rich.
>Not selling it to skilled workers who can afford it at a decent price and their family, having them buy it for an eternity.
I don't understand. You would be making more money selling it to the skilled and mass than the small and elite.

Any sane and smart person would go with the more money.

>Inb4 rich people aren't smart or sane hurr.

To add-on your influence would be fucking god-tier that the small elite who tried to touch you would be shitted on like a mother fucker by the masses (Masses > Elite)

People will genuinely murder each other over 'exclusive' immortatility drugs since it would literally be a matter of life or death.

We'll treat aging as a chronic disease. Think of diabetes treatments of now. Expensive drugs and delivery methods that need to be taken forever.

Now that's a cash cow that won't run dry for quite some time.

t. Medfag