How many of you autists ARE NOT positivists? And why not...

How many of you autists ARE NOT positivists? And why not? I bet some of you have been espousing positivism without actually being aware of it as a philosophical position or of the many arguments against it.

>Positivism is a philosophical theory stating that positive knowledge is based on natural phenomena and their properties and relations. Thus, information derived from sensory experience, interpreted through reason and logic, forms the exclusive source of all authoritative knowledge.[1] Positivism holds that valid knowledge (certitude or truth) is found only in this derived knowledge.[2]

>Verified data (positive facts) received from the senses are known as empirical evidence; thus positivism is based on empiricism.[1]

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipositivism
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Then where do you go when you want to find out how the world actually is? Metaphysics?

It's well-known since the fucking Kant that one should not only account for what is perceived, but also for what (or who) is perceiving.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipositivism

dont know about positivism but i believe in the power of positive thinking

I don't care about social problems. I'm talking about problems dealing with fundamental objective reality. What philosophical benefits does positivism afford over that of scientific realism?

And I also believe that Hume's point about empirical knowledge, that it has a belief at its heart, is unrefuted still.

What's the distinction between positivism and "scientific realism". Isn't it the same thing? The philosophical belief that only knowledge gathered through the scientific method is valid.

positivism rejects the existence of unobservables. postulated scientific entities included

By that definition, everyone is a positivist. So what kind of question is this?

Positivism doesn't really do much to solve any actual philosophical problems. It's like solipsism in that it works for its tiny domain, yet it doesn't go anywhere beyond it.

>philosophical "problems"

>Positivism doesn't really do much to solve any actual philosophical problems
Anything that cant be solved with a scientific approach cant be meaningfully solved at all

Everyone isn't a positivist, but the majority of people are, since it's the dominant epistemology in the Western world.

You can't act as though you are not a positivist though. It's not physically possible.

>reconciling a romance cannot be solved with the scientific method, hence it cannot be meaningfully solved.

You're demonstrating the limitations of positivism ITT.

Why? Elaborate, I don't want to type out several paragraphs based on assumptions.

Only the autists on Veeky Forums, who are adherents of scientism, believe otherwise. Some parts of the human experience are beyond the scientific method.

of course you can. Scientific realists and mathematical platonists do it every day

>Some parts of the human experience are beyond the scientific method.
I can read wikipedia too, but I'm not stupid enough to take everything from it as fact.

Why are people itt conflating reason and science? You can't figure out how to reconcile a romance via the scientific method, but you absolutely can figure it out by applying reason and logic to sensory experience.

I used to be a good realist goy like every other engineer
Then I did a degree in physics and I became a realist.

Positivism is about as outdated as the physics engineers learn.

I'm just autistic and I believe that that fact will help me derive a truly superior personal philosophy

The scientific approach is inferior, conclusions drawn from pure logic are the only things that can truly be known.