If the many worlds interpretation is valid...

If the many worlds interpretation is valid, could we potentially dump all of our entropy into another universe and extract "free" energy without violating the second law of thermodynamics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Me3-r5rsUSI
youtube.com/watch?v=o_CyMqQBO8w
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gods_Themselves
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They did this a few times on Stargate Atlantis. One of those episodes even has bill nye and neil degrasse tyson.

youtube.com/watch?v=Me3-r5rsUSI

Came here to post this.

I don't think the second law of thermodynamics accounts for matter being pulled in from other universes, just the matter in ours.

No.
This kind of misunderstanding is yet another reason to not support MWI.

Entropy isn't a form of matter or energy that can just be dumped. It is the process of energy breaking down. Now it my be possible to pull energy from other universes and redistribute it in ours, but that would essentially be cosmicide. Could you live with yourself after such action? In all honesty I probably could.

>Entropy isn't a form of matter or energy that can just be dumped
That is false. There's a decent chance the building you're in right now is heated and cooled with an entropy-moving device, AKA a heat pump.

youtube.com/watch?v=o_CyMqQBO8w

>Entropy isn't a form of matter or energy that can just be dumped
Literally the whole process of living is dumping entropy into your environment.

this is why i don't clean up my room, in the end the universe is a more entropic place because of it. if only momma would understand that so i can get my gbps for tendies.

The law of thermodynamics is for systems

The reason the universe is believed to be the ultimate system is that it is presumed that it is isolated

If the universe is not isolated (i.e.: can communicate with other universes), then the set of all universes that can communicate with each other are now the ultimate system.

Didn't Asimov write a book about this? This guy invented a 'free' proton pump thingy and it turned out it was siphoning energy from another universe, creating a crisis there. And they had to communicate with each other but it was difficult because the life-forms were very different and time flowed differently between the universes.

But if the number of universes is infinite, then so would be the supply of energy and also the number of places you can ship off your entropy to.

>if the number of universes is infinite
They aren't necessarily infinite at the same time. They may be finite at one given time, infinite over time.

Short answer: The many-worlds interpretation doesn't mean what you think it does.

Say I flip and observe a fair quantum coin under the Many-Worlds interpretation. This creates two decoherent (non-interacting) "worlds" - one corresponding to the observation of 'heads', and the other to 'tails'.

Before the flip, the mass of me, the coin, and the room I was in was X kg.

What is the total mass of both worlds after the flip?

X kg! The universe hasn't literally "split" like a cell undergoing mitosis - it's still exactly the same single, closed system of quantum fields as it was before. Those fields just happen to be arranged differently; they contain exactly the same amount of energy, but when looked at one way that energy is arranged into a universe where the coin landed heads, and looked at the other way is arranged into a universe where it landed tails.

Anyway, no, you can't dump entropy into another Everett-Wheeler world. But I hope this at least makes it more intuitive *why* - they're not separate places or modes or whatever at all. They're just different ways of looking at the same universe, and conservation laws apply to both all of them individually and to the system as a whole.

But what if the heads or tails result of the quantum coin flip was tied to a different amount of entropy generation. Since it's technically possible for entropy to reverse locally, but just really really unlikely, what if you made sure that you ended up in that one really rare universe where entropy spontaneously reversed inside of your control volume, effectively dumping it into the other universes?

>what if you made sure that you ended up in that one really rare universe where entropy spontaneously reversed inside of your control volume, effectively dumping it into the other universes?

You can't make sure you're in that universe. That's what the second law actually means. Statistical fluctuations can cause local reversals of entropy, but there is absolutely no way to harvest those or force them to occur more often without generating as much or more entropy in the process. (This is linked to the fundamental unity between entropy and information, and thus between thermodynamic and computational processes - it's why Maxwell's demon ultimately cannot break the second law, because the process of making the decisions of which particles to let through and which to block generates as much entropy as it reverses)

>If the many worlds interpretation is valid
it is not.

Multi-worlds is about thinking about the possibility space of the current universe and the various event trees that might occur.

There is one Universe.

If we pretend that there are nearby universes we can interact with, we might only be able to interact with he cowboy universe and only the cowboy universe.

The cowboy universe might have for example 3 to 6 or an arbitrarily finite number of interactions with other Universes.

The entire universe connections might be infinite, but a single universe might only have a few connections that may or may not change over time.

they would do the same thing to us.

Look up Aoris rods from "Young Zaphod plays it safe"

What if we dumped our entropy into a black hole?

We can move entropy around in the small scale with today's tech. What if some alien species figured out how to do it on a massive scale? What would happen if entropy was bottled it up and shot it with a rocket into a black hole? Would entropy disappear or evaporate? What would happen to the black hole if we kept filling it with entropy?

/x/

Transition of false vacuum.

Short answer: The entropy would somehow be preserved and ultimately reemitted, but that's just a guess based on confidence in the laws of thermodynamics and nobody knows how exactly that would work. This is an active area of research.

Black hole thermodynamics are actually really interesting, because they're one of the few leads we have for places where quantum field theory and general relativity run into conflicts more interesting than "we can't get the math to produce any answers at all" and where actual qualitative theoretical investigation is possible. Interesting hints as to potential avenues to quantum gravity (for instance, that the apparent nonlicality of quantum entanglement may actually be part of spacetime with a tiny wormhole connecting entangled pairs) sometimes emerge from it.

This question, known as the "black hole information paradox", is deeply controversial among particularly esoteric theoretIcal physicists, and Steven Hawking's entire career can be described roughly as investigation of this question.

Yeah.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gods_Themselves