Art of War

this is literally the dumbest shit I've ever read why does everybody any their mother say this is a must read for business CEOs and artists,

fucking

>ch 1 before the enemy strikes your army you should strike him first
>ch 2 make sure you attack your enemy before he attacks you
>ch 2.1 before attacking your enemy, make sure he is not attacking you
>ch 3 if the enemy's army is bigger you will probably not win
>ch 4 if a general cannot lead his men he is probably a bad general

overrated/5 stars , why is there hype around this book Veeky Forums?

You're actually reading it wrong somehow
Are you like learning Chinese and tried to read in the original?

actual kek
good one lad

>critique of a manuscript 2400 years old
2/10 made me reply

It sounds dumb until you realize how many people, including yourself probably, make mistakes in judgement daily that it warns against.

>>ch 2.1 before attacking your enemy, make sure he is not attacking you
this is not as easy as it sounds

Welcome to Eastern """philosophy"""

This

Everything seems obvious once you know the answer

kys because you read neither Eastern nor Western philosophy

/thread

can you give me an example? ive read this book once but never fully digested it and i really cant imagine those judgement situations.

Is Kaufman the translation you read? Bad choice. You should've went with Victor H. Mair.

Sun tzu more like SHIT TZU heheheheheheheheheheh

>EDUCATED READIN BOOKS IM TALKIN ART OF WAR

What did he mean by this?

Eh, it was written at a time when generals were probably random noblemen with no particular qualifications, so it would help to have a book of the bleedin' obvious.

Also even if you know better it can be easy to forget the bleedin' obvious, so I guess it's useful to have a reminder.

It contradicts itself, while it teaches you how to win by destroying your enemy, one point it tells you to leave an escape route for the enemy "don't press a desperate enemy too hard" wtf man

Because they will fight to death and you get the fight outta the flight and fight mechanics my nigga.

Also tip from my man 'ere: don't kill da enemy but leave em wounded. Vietcong knew this trick.

I think he just means you should leave some space where the enemy can run away when they get scared

Don't have it so they do some last stand Rambo memery where they sacrifice their lives heroically and take with them as many of your guys as possible, instead you want to have them flee the battlefield so that you can run them down

Maybe it wasn't bleeding obvious until this book was distributed. Perhaps we take its teachings for granted, because the book was so influential.

Like how Seinfeld now seems derivative and cliche, but it reality it was groundbreaking, so groundbreaking that it influenced everything else on TV and now everyone knows the tropes.

>while it teaches you how to win by destroying your enemy
The book repeatedly states that one does not win through destroying your enemy, you fo way way better keeping everything intact and fighting as little as possible (minimum casualties but enough that your army feels good at fighting).

What whack translation are you lot reading? Or is this just short attention spans and shitty cliffs?

This is bait

He quite obviously hasn't read the book, because his example is explained in the very next sentence.

So is the OP. The OP's considerably lower quality bait tho.

yeah my friend who plays challenger level in league of legends recommend me this book
wasn't impressed or enlightened

A modern example is in Syria, the Kurdish forces keep encircling ISIS strongpoints, but they always leave a escape route so that instead of fighting to the last, ISIS will try to evacuate as much of their troops, leaving fewer defenders who will run away (and get bombed by the USAF) instead of fighting to the death.

Yeah I really have to wonder this. I've run into a couple people who have a really skewed view of Clausewitz because they read the 60s Penguin edition by Rapoport, which has was heavily edited and abridged because the author didn't like Kissinger and was all "muh anti-war protests."

I liked when ma nigga Sun chopped dat faggoty ass nobleman's concubine's head off for not following his orders, and all the other bitches immediately fell in line.

Can you not read Chinese? Plebbbbb.

>Sun tzu was a general,military strategist.
>somehow you think you know better then him
top kek user,here is your reply

Fuck, I should get a abridged copy of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, do a find and replace, gangster up the prose and publish it as Wu-Tang Clan fanfiction.

>do not pursue ghostface killa

I'd read it, user