ITT: Women from literature who embody perfect femininity

ITT: Women from literature who embody perfect femininity.

I'll go with Ophelia. It's tempting to say that there aren't many women like her anymore, but then I remember that every good woman has a touch of that character in her—and too often we go looking for the pretty Opheliae, and forget to notice the same sweet character behind a plainer face.

One cannot blame her that she went mad in the evil circumstances of that play, I think, nor do I doubt that she would have made for a strong and dignified woman in her old age if she had lived to see it. She was the sweetness and the beauty senselessly crushed midst the agitations of mighty forces, and the greatest loss in that tragedy.

Any man less noble than Hamlet the Dane has no right to ask for an Ophelia, still less any right to expect one. Her sweet yielding nature, her perfect sympathy with the men she loves, her answers of gentle chiding or generous gratitude—"I shall the effect of this good lesson keep, as watchman to my heart"—or observe the durability of her affections when Hamlet has been savagely unfair to her: "O heavenly powers, restore him!"

She is the perfection of the feminine conscience, the feminine affections, the feminine graces, all the beauty of the feminine mind. Schopenhauer, with his weak mind, could not imagine such a woman as Ophelia.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Neverending_Story
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Get this romanticized delusion out of my face

There is no such thing as perfection or any tenable concept of femininity besides having a lot of estrogen and making babies.

but did she have a feminine bepis?

almost every realistic society on earth recognizes the inevitability and desirability of a strong difference between the sexes

this is so in Europe until the romantic notion of equality appears in the age of romanticism

Go to hell manlet

Fanny Price from Mansfield Park. What a cutie! She's a little judgy sometimes tho

Im not saying there arent concrete differences between the sexes, im saying that femininity and masculinity do not have fixed universal definitions and tho I believe it is desirable that cultures define them in different ways (yes including european cultures) and base art and thought on them, they are ultimately constructed reactions to innate sexual differences. Sorry if that triggers you.

Why is there no "tenable concept of femininity"?

Sonya from war and peace

I suppose you'd prefer the totally subjective and boring "post women that you think are pretty swell and fit your own taste"?

femininity hasn't been given a fixed description because a lot of people in academia will resist any attempt at definition, whatever the definition is.

whatever the real difference is, it is obviously too subtle for the sciences and beyond the grasp of anyone who hasn't a large share of genius; and yet the experience of femininity is common to every man who has met a good woman. To define womanhood would be something beyond the powers of any person in this thread, but it is within our powers to admire the womanhood that we have known.

Too subjective and dependant on social context.

buttblasted roastie detected

In the context of humanity, femininity makes perfect sense to me...

Provide a definition then.

If there's one thing I can't imagine Ophelia saying, it's "Get this romanticized delusion out of my face"

ITT: women that women will never understand

I think the best woman I've ever met in my life was a man, gentle chiding, perfect sympathy, and what have you. As for the literature, I'd go with Childlike Empress from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Neverending_Story (I read it when I was, like, 14, so don't be crass.)

Lollita from lollita

Men like you OP, are looking to date a child, not a grown female.
>her answers of gentle chiding or generous gratitude—"I shall the effect of this good lesson keep, as watchman to my heart"
wtf is this anime shit

Ophelia was a one-dimensional character with few actual lines...and a prop for Hamlet.

>One cannot blame her that she went mad in the evil circumstances of that play, I think, nor do I doubt that she would have made for a strong and dignified woman in her old age if she had lived to see it

Ophelia schemed with her father and engendered Hamlets wrath, causing her own downfall. Hardly a strong woman.

Damn why isn't art like this anymore? You never see this kind of traditional beauty in paintings.

Slut logic

Yes you really do
And I fucking hate you clueless fedoras who say otherwise and pretend you have any insight into modern art whatsoever other than what obscured cherry-picked provoking performance art get spread around on FB to show how "terrible modern art is".
LOL IT'S NOT ART AM I RIGHT??? MODERN ART IS JUST ABSTRACT ART AND ABSTRACT IS JUST SOMETHING 5YOS COULD DO RIGHT?? XDDDDDD

0/10

Oh sorry user-san :( pls teach me resson u wise man, i will cherish with all my sensitive heart and work hard to b your perfect waifu desu~~

The perfection, or the concept of femininity, are but an idea, only partially related to any given female. Nevertheless they possess the reality as the number of traits, or characteristics, of females that seem desirable to men (any particular man or in average by some society). Those desirables are imposed by culture and physiology in some proportion.

TL;DR yes, there is a concept of femininity, don't be so salty

>Implying this soulless shit or garbage like hyper realism compares to ops image

Fuck off

>Being thankful and learning is unrealistic and anime XD

This is how uncomfortable modern makes have become to the concept of judgement.

In reality you probably have the same desires but have settled for a "realistic" bargain version.
>My girlfriend only fucked around a little, at least she's not one of those 10+ sluts... . .

Estrogen filled reasoning

His foot's too big.

0/10 dropped. Trash.

>Ophelia was a one-dimensional chatacter

DELETE THIS

Ruskin loved only children; Schopenhauer thought women were eternally children. I agree with neither, and I think that mature womanhood has graces and strengths which are shared neither by men nor children.

>wtf is this anime shit
It's Ophelia's response to her brother Laertes, and turning your nose up at it only shows how diseased is your sensibility

You're a literal cuckold. Growing older forces women to become humble and to value things other than looks and cultural status (because they can no longer compete in this arena). Usually this means leaping onto bandwagons (helping Africans, "the environment" etc) but it often just means libido-less domesticity which they foolishly interpret as a sign of wisdom and level-headedness. Women are only valuable in their youth, and rightfully so. There is nothing sadder than a single girl older than twenty-five. Her looks have passed, her sensitivity has become numbed by experience, her labia are likely distended due to stretching, and not a single man looks at her as his first choice for a potential mate. Sad!

>(You)

Pre-raphaelites, m8, gone like Chester-fucking-ton. And what I mean by this is that you should read The Man Who Was Thursday

I really liked Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice.

Girl at the beach in A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet you damn dilettantes!

as they should be, if we're being honest

Pre-Raphaelitism had many flaws, ideologically and stylistically. It never quite captured the strength or beauty of the style it tried to revive, though it had beauties of its own. The perfection of art is yet to be found, and in our own time we must try new ways, which may be founded on the wisdom of the old, but will always necessarily be something new.

cucks

>There is no such thing as perfection or any tenable concept of femininit
the lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Catherine Barkley

Tatiana from Eugene Onegin.

>making babies.
well at least we're agreed that trans "women" don't share in femininity

>Contrary to her expectations, Onegin does not write back. When they meet in person, he rejects her advances politely but dismissively and condescendingly. This famous speech is often referred to as Onegin's Sermon: he admits that the letter was touching, but says that he would quickly grow bored with marriage and can only offer Tatyana friendship; he coldly advises more emotional control in the future, lest another man take advantage of her innocence.
S A V A G E
and alpha as FUCK

Edgelord Onegin refuses Tatyana so he can be forever alone.

the problem is that very technical art like this has become somewhat of a niche and our best examples of it still lack something of the fiery inspiration of the artists of old—in general it revives realism but not romance

but if you could reccommend me some contemporary painters who paint good stuff, I'd appreciate it

recommend* normally I don't correct my typos but that one made me look like an idiot

Nothing more alpha than dismissing pussy for higher pursuits
See also: Kirkegaard

lotta tumblrinas here today.
moreso than usual.

I always wonder how they feel, leaving their safespace echochamber and coming here.
I don't even think they acknowledge the fact that their ideals are getting blown the fuck out. probably dismiss the entire board as racist/sexist/transphobic/misogynists and every reply is mansplaining.

Recommending art is rarely a good idea, it's so subjective.
But anyways: I like Claudia Rogge when it comes to photography. For painters, Serge Marshennikov or Ron Hicks. Roberto Ferri like I posted there too.

In that subjective social context then. What does femininity look like?

Ok realize that you have no persistent identity here and forget all the virtue signalling about how progressive you are and just answer the question please

Naturally, that's what women are: a secondary accessory to men

>sad exclamation mark
Powerful Trump meme

>It never quite captured the strength or beauty of the style it tried to revive, though it had beauties of its own

So what's wrong with that? Obviously, les belles dames sans merci never pranced all over Europe with their fragrant zones open to any stranger, but it doesn't mean we can't yearn for such femininity in the perfect future Ireland, like a gyre always going in circles, but adding something to our common destiny with each turn.

That response is so low-energy, why should I even respond to it?

>Get this romanticized delusion out of my face
romanticism isn't delusion, it's high reason—intelligent realism

Perhaps it might prompt you to step outside yourself and recognize the sadness inherent in your cult-worship of a retarded orange mememan

>Ctrl+F
>Lolita
>Zero results

Cmon

Also zero results for Alice. You kidding me?

>Nothing more alpha than dismissing pussy for higher pursuits
>See also: Kirkegaard
>alpha
>Kierkegaard
wut?

He broke with his fiance and love of his life because she wasn't Christian enough, and he was worried that she would stifle his religious growth.

He came to regret it immensely later in life.

:'(

evry time

Every single one of them

no

>feminism is a single monolithic set of criteria determined by me, a guy on the internet, instead of something rich and varied

the average american woman has four sexual partners in her lifetime

>I say feminism when I mean femininity

source?