This may be a terrible idea for a thread, but I'd like to ask for your favourite english words

This may be a terrible idea for a thread, but I'd like to ask for your favourite english words.
(And possibly reasons for why you like them as much).

I'm a not a native speaker, but I enjoy creative writing in my mother tongue, and as I'll be attending intensive english class as of next week I thought it may be a good idea to learn what people, who spend a good amount of their freetime on literature, enjoy to read or use when they write.
Could be anything just like simple words, that you just find pleasant to hear, or very uncommon ones that you'd like to see more often. Especially those are interesting that you rarely ever see anybody, except natives, use.

analytical

Not a native, but I'm pretty fond of the word "valour".

The anglo-saxon derived words are the best.

I really like "ought"

"Problematic"

There's quite a few that I like

"Maroon"
"Flaccid"
"Intrinsic"
"Earnest"
"Deferred"

ostensibly

Ew, no.

conflate

what a nice sounding and useful word

Mellifluous,
Lagoon,
Chandelier,
Luminescence,
Vivid,
Vibrant

pillow, smooth, tough, rough
t. hungarian

catharsis

Nigger

Terraform, bastardise

godspeed

I don't have a reason. Just love it.

shallow, lullaby, oblivion

aardvark

Scoundrel.

very good words

*valor

strumpet

I came here to say the same thing. These Anglo-Saxon words, to a native English speaker, are understood intuitively, and they provide a better sense of imagery in the mind. If you would like to write, or speak, simply and powerfully, use anglo-saxon words.

To illustrate my point, think of how much people struggle with science, generally speaking. People struggle to understand it intuitively, and it's no surprise when the entire scientific naming scheme uses latin. For example, the study of orinothology, or birdlore for an anglo-saxon equivalent, uses a latinate naming scheme for birds, but they are rarely used. Instead common, descriptive names are used that are immediately understood and differentiated (e.g. red-winged blackbird). This goes to show just the pretension of scientific naming schemes. There could be better ways to classify the world, but this is what we are stuck with.

*Velour

Innuendo, but don't ask why, I don't know

penumbra, opulent, division

parallelogram

Bailiwick

inimitable
penumbras nice

>"ought"

Aught*

Ramshackle is probably the best English word.

A common mistake anyone makes when they creatively write is equate "cool uncommon words" with good writing.

Suggestions like (with the exception of vibrant/vivid)
might sound cool, but are absolute horseshit when used in context

Stick to simpler words and phrasing.

I also agree with

(OP)
A common mistake most people make when they creatively write is equating "cool uncommon words" with good writing.

Suggestions like (with the exception of vibrant/vivid)
might sound cool, but are absolute horseshit when used in context

Stick to simpler words and phrasing.

I also agree with

Adumbral

Liturgically

Juxtapose

>but are absolute horseshit when used in context

Depends on if you're a good writer or not, you know.

Dimethyltryptamine. I've never actually done the drug, but the word just rolls off the tongue. I also like how it sounds like it has "trip" in it.

But I use the word conflate all the time in my essays user

I think I heard recently about a novel that was written exclusively with words of anglo saxon origin. Can't for the life of me remember what it was. Might have been fantasy.

There is a translation of the prose Edda that does this. I've been meaning to buy it but it's pretty expensive.

"jay-kay"

Caricature

Worth, salt and climate