Why do people think that simmering tomatoes in a pot is some incredible, expert-level accomplishment...

Why do people think that simmering tomatoes in a pot is some incredible, expert-level accomplishment? Don't they realize that the stuff in jars is literally just simmered tomatoes with basil and olive oil and garlic? Or are they so stupid that they just buy whatever random shit without reading the labels, and they therefore assumed that all spaghetti sauce is made of HFCS and bovine growth hormones?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JMRpmqW38Jg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why are you gay lol?

I wish I could find cheap jars of simmers tomatos garlic and basil, literally everything in the store has sugar and presevatives and all kinds of shit in it. I read the label of everything I buy autistically

I don't think making homemade tomato sauce is some sort of expert-level accomplishment. In fact, I even like jarred tomato sauce. For years my favourite homecooked dish was spaghetti bolognese made with Dolmio jarred sauce. But when I finally learnt to cook, I made the sauce from scratch and realised how much better it tasted. There's nothing wrong with using jarred sauces, but you have to accept that it tastes worse.

>Don't they realize that the stuff in jars is literally just simmered tomatoes with basil and olive oil and garlic?
Literally this. Some people don't have the basic cooking knowledge to know how you get from raw ingredients to what you find in the jar, or that you even can. If you were brought up on shit food and weren't taught the basics of cooking, stuff like this can be as elusive as, say, making your own cheese.

Look for "no salt added" tomato sauce. It is dirt cheap and gives exactly what you want. It with the canned vegetables, not necessarily the same aisle as the pasta sauce.

You obviously don't realize most amerifats wouldn't be able to distinguish a corn stalk from a tomato vine.

t. Canned 75 quarts of my homegrown romas this year. Already used 10.

I don't want to sound like some stupid asshole/cunt, but premade stuff just isn't very good.

It isn't, it just has that weird.. taste to it that you will always have. I don't know what is it. HFCS? too much salt? Both? Something else? There's just nothing about it.

But when you take your time, the extra 5mins, 10mins, an hour, whatever, it takes to make your own sauce or chicken nuggers, or whatever, it is better. You can immediately tell. And you know it's better for you too.

But it isnt. You're just autistic.

That's not autism. Go back to /v/ you memeposting trash.

>Spend hours to accomplish something that takes minutes for normal people
Pretty sure that's textbook autism

>No don't cook your own food!! Only delusional autists do that! Our shop sells food just as good! Head on down now!

This.

>I don't know what is it

See: "Or are they so stupid that they just buy whatever random shit without reading the labels, and they therefore assumed that all spaghetti sauce is made of HFCS and bovine growth hormones?"

This thread is why Veeky Forums is just a tv dinner shitbox of a board. You fucking poverty ass niggers deserve cancer.

>Don't they realize that the stuff in jars is literally just simmered tomatoes with basil and olive oil and garlic?

lol, no, it is much more tightly controlled than that with acidity regulators and sweeteners and preservatives and other shit

You fail to appreciate that without the correct amount of salt in your tomato sauce you will need to add extra salt to your tomato sauce. You might as well use puree or crushed tomatoes if you're going down that route.

unless it has an adverse effect on the product it's always better to get stuff without salt added and add it yourself. plus you can increase the perception of saltiness/savouriness with other additions

I'm very autistic about how my tomato sauce tastes so I can't use store bought jars anymore.

Canned Tomatoes = 70 cent
Canned tomato sauce =€ 2,50- €4,0 the cheapest. ..
Do your math ( and no, a spoon olive oil, 2 onions and 1 galic glove don't make it moreasy expensive than the ready to use ones)

D

this
don't get me wrong, fresh stuff tastes better but the jarred stuff is made ready to use with a long shelf life and is a quick alternative.

>one can of tomatoes
>two onions
Enjoy your onion sauce.

>onion sauce
Don't know about size of my onions
Don't know about size of canned tomatoes I use..
Go kys please

Post sauce recipies for an autist who wants to learn

Someone actually from the industry told me that good tomatoes didn't end up canned nor jarred.

Blend/grate half a carrot and half a stick of celery
finely chopped an onion
sweat for 15 minutes
Add 2 cloves of garlic
Sweat for 5 more minutes
Add 2 cans of plum tomatoes and a tablespoon of tomato puree
Simmer for an hour or more, add a big fistful of fresh basil near the end
Eat it like that or add as much thyme, oregano and rosemary as you like

>Why do people think that simmering tomatoes in a pot is some incredible, expert-level accomplishment?

I don't think anyone ever said that was a significant accomplishment. It's basic shit that anyone can do. They're pointing out that you're a retard for NOT doing it specifically because it's so simple.

>>Don't they realize that the stuff in jars is literally just simmered tomatoes....

It's not that simple. Many brands of jarred sauces contain too much added sugar or salt and because of that they don't taste very good. Some brands contain unwanted preservatives. There's also the question of what tomatoes were used. Not all tomatoes are the same. If you make the sauce yourself then you have control over what tomatoes you use. If you buy jarred sauce then you're subject to whatever the brand you used happened to choose.

>Why do people think that simmering tomatoes in a pot is some incredible, expert-level accomplishment?
Literally nobody thinks this. Stopped reading there.

That's gonna be an awfully sweet sauce though.

Teaspoon of tomato puree, half onion, Simmer for 40 minutes

>That's gonna be an awfully sweet sauce though.
he never add extra sugar... just a 1/2 carrot

the only thing i miss in the recipe is salt and Pepper

You get what you pay for. Del Grosso and other $6-$10 jars of sauce taste just as good as homemade. When you factor in ingredients, electricity/gas, and labor it makes the purchase absolutely worth it. People who disagree probably live with their parents and value their time in Veeky Forums hours.

youtube.com/watch?v=JMRpmqW38Jg

>hen you factor in ingredients, electricity/gas, and labor it makes the purchase absolutely worth it

Absolutely not. Ingredients are much cheaper (especially if you grow your own tomatoes). Electricity/gas is just a couple of pennies--it's negligible. Time? Not really. Sure it takes a while to simmer but it's not as if you have to be there staring at the stove while it cooks. It takes just a couple minutes to prep, then it can simmer while you are doing other things.

I mean't the simmer time, it'll concentrate the sugars in the tomatoes.
You need an acid in there to neutralize the sweetness a little.

If you make $15/hr or more, you're already saving money buying a nice jarred sauce instead of spending 20 minutes making it from scratch. No one's growing their own tomatoes and if you paid your bills you'd know that two-three hours on the stove amounts to around $.60-$1.00

>No one's growing their own tomatoes
Objectively wrong.

Okay, even if tomatoes were free, it's still not economically viable. If someone made $20/hr it would still make no sense to buy $6 jarred. But I guess someone like you who spends their time growing tomatoes isn't making very much. Different opportunity costs for different folks.

to not buy*

Nah, retired at 30.
That's why I have time to grow plants.

>retired at 30.
Which is fine, but other people have higher standards of living than you.

Like I said, different opportunity costs for different people.

I'm probably retarded because I sauté onions, garlic and some dried oregano and basic, then add the jar of sauce and diced tomatoes

>$20/hr
So.. You work 24/24 7/7 ??? You never take time for you and your familly? Poor life...

two-three hours on the stove isn't 1$...it's more like a few pennies.

>two-three hours on the stove amounts to around $.60-$1.00

Not even close.

Average price for electricity in the US is 12 cents per kwh. A typical electric stove is 3 kw. So keeping the burner on FULL BLAST for 3 hours would be 3 hrs x 3 kw x .12 per kwh = $1.08. But you're not going to be cooking at full blast, you're going to be keeping a low simmer, so it's more like 1/10th of that. 10 cents. It would be about 1/3 that price if you had gas instead of electric.

People who think operating the stove is expensive are incapable of doing basic arithmetic.

>spends their time growing tomatoes

lol

It takes roughly, oh, a total of maybe 6 hours a YEAR to plant and tend a handful of tomato plants that will yield pounds and pounds of tomatoes. You spend more time on the shitter each month.

but but but I could be shitposting or sending useless texts or playing vidya games for those 6 hours

Thats all I ever used. Canned whole tomatoes and canned paste. Thats assuming its fucking winter and tomatoes aren't available/california garbage,

I make my own cheese....

>I don't enjoy cooking and only do it if it's economically viable
>you're poor though not me
What a cunt. I'm glad
BTFOed you

>Doesn't understand opportunity costs

Thanks for clarifying, but my point still stands. It was a negligible figure anyway, just wanted to mention it.

I consume maybe 3-4 tomatoes/year. Not everyone consumes as much as you to make it worth the effort. Stop thinking inside of your own little bubble, please.

>Doesn't understand opportunity costs
Being retired at 30 could literally mean you live off $200/month in some shitty third world country. I'm supposed to be impressed?

People on Veeky Forums really can't think beyond their own personal lives can they.