Are vegetarian burgers and hot dogs any good? I'm not a liberal...

Are vegetarian burgers and hot dogs any good? I'm not a liberal, I'm just trying to cut down on meat so I can stop being such a fat fuck. Any other vegetarian suggestions are welcome. I already cook a lentil curry and meat-free "chili" which are quite good.

Not a vegetarian, but I love veggie burgers.

I find most of the "veggie patties" to not taste very good. Some of them contain a fuckload of questionable additives (read the package!)

However, a large portabello mushroom cap makes a great substitute. Salt & pepper it, then grill it or pan-fry it just like you would a beef patty.

No fan of veggie burgers, but falafels can be awesome. As far as fake veggie sausages go the stuff made by Field Roast tends to be delicious.

Awful way to lose weight, read a bit on nutrition and the basics of weight loss before making stupid and ignorant assertions on dieting.

Anything by Quorn is delicious.

It's not made with soy. It's made with some kinda mushroom.

Their chicken items are also really good. I actually prefer them over actual chicken nuggets.

If you have nothing to contribute to the topic then kindly fuck off.

That looks pretty good, will look into it.

I would argue he has a lot to contribute to the thread, fatty.

Alright, he's welcome to explain how eating more beans/vegetables and less meat is not going to aid weight loss

It's easy to be a fat vegetarian/vegan if you eat too many calories. But meat and cheese are pretty calorie dense foods it's really easy to eat too much of. If you avoid them for the most part and fill up on foods high in vegetable fiber it's easy to lose weight without counting calories.

I wouldn't look towards vegetarian options as a means to lose weight. Making changes in the type of meat you eat, and the portions and types of meals you eat would be preferential.

Switching from fattier red meats to skinless chicken breast or a lean ground beef on occasion would serve you better than eating veggie burgers, which are essentially high sodium patties with any proper nutrition processed out surrounded by empty carbohydrates and condiments.

If you want a burger, eating a bunless burger with lean ground beef would be an excellent start! Just my two cents, good luck with your weight loss user.

It is not my job to educate you on nutrition basics, I just pointed out your mistake as a courtesy since I like people that at least try to reach a healthy fat/muscle ratio.

But by all means try your epic low protein diet, maybe you'll actually do some research once you fail miserably and look, best case scenario, like some flabby skinny fat weakling.

Quorn burgers are great, but just go with the plain normal ones, the other ones they make aren't as good.

Quorn hot dogs and frankfurters are horrendous, one of the few products that the company makes that I won't touch.

Quorn minced 'beef' is fucking great for things like chilli, absolutely indistinguishable from the real thing.

At all costs, avoid the quorn ready made meals, they're completely shite.

One of the best changes you could probably make would be to have porridge for breakfast, made with water. (You could try a pinch of salt with it, like real Scotsmen do) It's very filling and you could have a reasonably sized bowl of it coming in at under a hundred calories. It probably has some other health benefits too, but I don't know about them. Don't buy the individual sachets either, just buy a bulk bag of it, and it'll work out incredibly inexpensive.

Lentil and carrot soup is also a decent shout, very filling, very healthy, and low in calories.

As has been mentioned, turning vegetarian won't make you slimmer on it's own. You really need to count the calories in what you're eating, and make sure that yo don't go over a certain amount per day. You might find it easier to start with a reasonable number, like 2000 calories, and then reduce it by 100 each week or month, so that you're eventually easing yourself into eating 1500 calories per day. You should then start to lose weight within months.

For me is the portobello the only good tasting vegan burger

Lidl do lovely spicy bean burgers. They are the hottest I've ever had, and I've had spicy bean burgers from every supermarket in UK

Veggie burgers and hot dogs (and fake cold cuts for that matter) can be okay. Hot dogs come a lot closer to being "convincing" because much of a hot dog's flavor is from unrelated to the meat, it's from additives that can be added to a non-meat hot dog as well. Same with cold cuts, with primary flavors being additives like artificial smoke.

They're generally not that healthy though. I mean it's processed, with the loss of nutrients and sometimes addition of unnatural additives that entails. If you like them, indulge once in a while, but they shouldn't be a big part of your diet.

Btw, tofu is in a sense "processed" too, it's made in industrial vats, but that processing is relatively simple, and while you might be better off eating soy beans, some compromises between convenience/appeal and nutrition is certainly necessary.

There are some decent posts in here already on nutrition. Any thread related to vegetarianism or veganism will get shitposting, trolling, and arguing, but try to read the ones that sound informative, and even you don't quite agree, they're useful perspectives to keep in mind, especially as you seek more info from more reliable sources.

GL with your improved diet OP.

I'm not a vegetarian either, though I do enjoy bean burgers from time to time.
The only storebought ones I've liked were Aldi ones.
I make my own. No questionable additives that way. Mine are beans, bean flour, various veg and that's about it.

I've never had a veggiedog (other than my bean burger stuff made into sausage form rather than patty) that I've liked. Not a one.

I like to top homemade bean burgers with a few paper-thin slices of American-style honey ham.

I do like one brand of faux-chicken patties. I think it's made of gluten. Forgot who makes it, though I'd recognise the box. I honestly can't tell the difference between that and other storebought chicken patties.

They're quite costly, though. The sausage ones, the only one I can find a price for online from my local supermarket, is $4.99 for 220g/7.8oz box. That's $10.29/lb! Checking another site, the burgers are $5.29 per 240g/8.4oz. That's $10.08/lb.

For something made of cheap ingredients, like beans, TVP and gluten, veggie burgers have no business costing as much as they do. It's not like they're labour intensive to cobble together, either, nor are they a time sink. Say I just walked in home from work and want a vean burger for dinner, I can whip one up in about 10 minutes.
Cheapest bean burger I can find is $3.76/lb ($3.29 for 12oz). Beans are fucktardedly cheap at 52¢/lb (yield weight, cooked from dry) so homemade bean burgers cost about 90¢/lb. Bean-and-rice burgers would be even cheaper.

>veggie burgers have no business costing as much as they do.
You're not paying for the product. You're paying for shelf space and getting a niche product like that stocked in the first place. Plus what the market will bear. Most vegetarians then to come from middle class or higher backgrounds. So it's a safe bet those looking for convenience food products have the money to spend on them. The handful of poor vegetarians out there are cooking dried bans, not eating fake meat products.

mushrooms taste fantastic as is, I have no idea why they never became more popular as a substitute than Soy (which tastes like shit)

hell I order mushroom burgers sometimes (where I can) just because I like the taste.

True, true.
I went to private schools growing up and was surrounded by the sorts of people you describe.

The canteen had several lines for several sorts of foods and catering to several sorts of diets so nearly every kid could have his or her dietary needs and desires met. A large number of options were vegetarian back then. Nowadays, looking through the menu options they have today, there are a lot of gluten free options, too. Ugh. Rich white women, man. They ain't got shit else going on so they need to be as difficult as possible so /someone/ will give them some attention.
I've a strong suspicion that special diets are the result of not having anything else to do, which is why they're often championed by trophy wives and other upper-middle/upper class women who lack careers. Busy people have too much going on to worry about that sort of thing, which is why fathers were rarely involved in school activities.

Anyway, most bean burgers I've tried from supermarkets have been meh-tier. I genuinely enjoy homemade ones, both mine and those made by others.

I'm a guy from an elite background as well. And I eat mostly vegan, but it has nothing to do with boredom. It keeps my middle aged ass off cholesterol meds I'd otherwise have to take. Two unexpected bonuses came out of it as well: never having to worry about cross contamination in my kitchen and a super cheap grocery bill (as long as I don't buy much in the way of vegan convenience products). It does require more of my time in the kitchen, but cooking (and having a glass of wine whilke doing so) is how I unwind, so I don't mind a bit. (And damn does the wife appreciate it).

I never said anything about switching to a diet entirely based on bean burgers and tofu dogs, just looking for healthier alternatives

preach on brother, preach on. I come from the burbs but as a poor kid on the outskirts. It is ALWAYS middle to upper class white women pulling crap like this. vaccines and autism and the like. If you are a "stay at home mom" with kids IN SCHOOL go get a damn day job bc you ain't doing shit during the day but watching the view and shitposting on facebook and obsessing over some new pinterest board. fuck them soooo hard.

My friend randomly became a vegetarian for reasons he refuses to disclose. He's stuck to it for several years now. He buys these black bean chipotle veggie burgers, I think black star or something, and theyre actually delicious. They don't taste like meat, or seem to try to taste like meat, just a mildly spicy and well season black bean patty.

yes, as long as you don't go in expecting them to taste like beef burgers.

vegan here

vegan burger patties are good. not bad not great. satisfactory.

vegan fish and chicken are fuckin fantastic. try them for sure. only exception is be careful of grilled chicken strips, some taste like cardboard

vegan hot dogs are shit tier

and veg versions are healthier than meat but still arent healthy. eat more whole plants.

also im vegan and not a liberal so you dont need to preface it with that

I'm sorry, but can I get a few /thread-a-roonies on this?

>Are vegetarian burgers and hot dogs any good?

If you're trying to lose weight just eating a different type of processed food isn't going to help.
Make your own veggie burgers, I've made butter bean and carrot ones before that were pretty dope

I'm a newfag, can someone explain why I see this everywhere? Is it the Install Gentoo of Veeky Forums?

>If you're trying to lose weight just eating a different type of processed food isn't going to help.
This.
The guys making that shit are the same guys selling 25-for-$10 burger packs to landwhales like me. They are just wanting to get the shekles out of the ones who don't want their pig anus burgers.

Learn to make your own and ditch the processed shit altogether.

How's portabella like? Is the flavor and consistency anything like champignons/white mushrooms?

If you want to eat vegetarian the best thing to do for both taste and nutrition is make dishes that are meant to be made out of vegetables instead of imitating meat. Put together a fresh salad with a homemade vinaigrette, cook saag paneer, make some hummus, etc, rather than eat a salty processed soy patty.

Burger King's veggie burger is really good

better than their meat burger desu

>Nowadays, looking through the menu options they have today, there are a lot of gluten free options, too. Ugh. Rich white women, man. They ain't got shit else going on so they need to be as difficult as possible so /someone/ will give them some attention.
Some people genuinely have gluten problems and get sick from eating the stuff.

I get the impression a lot of people latch onto it just because, which I don't get, because I get the impression a lot of gluten free food tastes like rape.

Not a vegetarian anymore but black bean burgers are my fave. I eat them over beef.

What made you stop being vegetarian?

vege sammiches. has to have beef to be called a hamburger.

and no they all are supposed to taste like meat. but they dont, vege sammiches are like people who say we dont like rape but make rape jokes... why make something that tastes like meat?

as denis leary said:
>meat tastes like murder & murder tastes good!

Fish mostly. I did the pescovegetarian thing for 8 years. Then I had kids and was not going to push my choices on them. Since Im the one that cooks it was just easier than cooking 2 different meals.

Why would you eat fake veggie crap when grilled chicken and fish tastes even better than what you're replacing? Hamburger and hot dog meat is not very delicious by itself, if you think about it.

the aloo tikki burger at mcdonalds in india is pretty good. it's made with potatoes and onions and whatever sauce they put on it

Stop eating shitty burgers and hotdogs.

Fresh hamburger patties are amazing, and nothing beats a well fried, thick pork sausage.

I'm a vegetarian. Not by choice mind you, for some strange cruel reason I can't stand the taste of meat. Been that way for a long time. While I agree that most store bought "veggie-patties" are shit, there are good quality recipes to make your own. Just don't try to make them taste like meat, and go for other flavors. Texture is p important, though.

Here's a recipe I found on a german website:
1 can of kidneybeans (about 350g)
pickled tomatoes
1/2 onion
garlic
A long chili (or paprika, if you don't like spice)
150g feta cheese
350g cashew nuts
olive oil

Put the beans on a baking tray and bake for about 20 minutes on 180 °C until the skin peels off. Put onions in pan, fry till glassy, add garlic clove, chili/paprika. Chop the nuts as fine as possible. Take beans out of oven, mix with feta and mash it until you have a paste. Add contents of frying pan, add chopped nuts, mix and form patties. Put patties in the pan or on the grill, be aware that they take a bit longer than meat. Longer time on lower temp is preferable.

Oh, right, add the tomatoes (about 2-3 to my taste, chopped) to the pan too when adding the garlic etc.