Be me, with 8 other friends

>be me, with 8 other friends
>had reservation at 7:30; very busy restaurant
>now 8:30, we're pretty much done with our meal
>woman comes up to us and asks if we can leave because there's another party of two next to us, and they wanted to sit next to them (both had 8:30 reservations)
>friend spontaneously decides to say "sorry we're actually just about to get dessert"
>doubled existing tip to make up for the fact that we were sitting there longer
>servers come up afterward and apologize profusely on behalf of the woman

Who was in the wrong here? I was just a bystander.

friend sounds like a cunt just out of the blue deciding to get dessert when another party wants the table and it makes things hard for the servers too, just get dessert somewhere else, be a little gracious for fucks sake

The server should have fucked off. You're paying customers you can stay however long you want.

You were in the right and the restaurant fucked up, it is not unreasonable to expect a table of 9 to take over an hour to get all of their food and drinks.

DESU the one thing that drives me nuts about America, double booking tables. In Europe, from my experience in Germany and holland, we had the table the entire night hell or high water.

Woman was a cunt, friend thought quick on his feet.
You're at a restaurant and can be there as long as you damn well please, it's not like you're forced to leave exactly an hour after you arrive and another customer asking you to leave is absurd.

This...
Or at your reservation they had to tell you that you had the table fora limited time only....

Hopefully that cunt got fired.

fuck that bitch, she's not even waitstaff. You could have scoffed in her fucking face and still have been in the right.

Greedy little servers trying to turn tables fast so they get dem tips

>friend sounds like a cunt

How is it the patrons fault the restaurant was stupid enough to think a large party would be in and out in under an hour?

Servers like that are why I unscrew salt shakers before leaving.

Why not the pepper shaker? Because there are bits of BLACK peppetr in there YOU FUCKING RACIST!!!

HOW DARE YOU!!! I AM BOILING OVER RIGHT NOW I WILL NOT WILL NOT WILL NOT FORGIVE YOU FOR THIS DO YOU HEAR ME?@?!??! I DSAID DO YOU!??!?!

FUCKING ANSWER ME OR YOUR MOM WILL DIE IN HER GODDAMNED BUTTFUCKING SLEEEPPp!!!!

The only pepper I carry in my house is supeior White pepper.

>server at a restaurant
>have table tents for event nights that say the table is reserved when people are seated there, and that they will be asked to leave 30 minutes after finishing their meal

Just rope them into a social contract that they accept when they sit down at the table :^)

I'm sorry, but can I get a few /thread-a-roonies on this?

it seems like alot of people in this thread are missing something. If I'm reading the OP correctly the person that asked if your table was done was another patron who was hoping to sit next to some friends of their's.

Now if you were done and no one had expressed real interest in dessert then your friend that "spontaneously decided" to get dessert was being a bit of a prick. It seems like see saw chance to affect someone by taking away something he could possibly have provided.

This is not a matter of right or wrong. It is simply how polite do you choose to be in your social interactions with strangers.

If they wanted to sit next to their friends they would have reserved a table for all to accommodate like OP instead of being a douche and wanting to take up two tables.

you are assuming that the patron is a complete idiot to make the actions of OP's friend seem mildly justified.

Try thinking about it instead. Why would someone wish to be seated close to another couple when their reservations were not already together? If the two couples had known that'd be eating together at the same restaurant then a reservation of 4 would have been made instead of what OP explained.

The easiest and most practical explanation is that the 2 couples were unaware the other would be dining at the same place and same time and happened upon each other once arriving at the restaurant. There are too many variables to be certain as to why but it's obvious that once it was time to be seated they hoped they could sit close enough to continue socializing with each other.

Is this a regional thing? Are customers eyeing up how long other people are eating and requesting other patrons leave so they can have their table?

A group of 9 with reservations to a popular restaurant is obviously there for the social company as well as the food. It takes a special kind of self absorbed dipshit to ask a party of 9 to leave so that they can sit by THEIR friends. The lady was very much in the wrong.

Your reading comprehension sucks.

And they would have taken two hours to fucking leave.

so now you're the "greedy server" all the anons with poor reading comprehension were siding against earlier. How long they will take with their meal is not a part of this argument.

lol yo minds me of da tim we'ze were kings inshit

The person who wanted desert

You should stop posting.

But that does make them a complete idiot. Why would you think it's okay to ask someone to leave so you can get a table you want in the first place?

Nobody seems particularly in the wrong. The woman seems a little out of place to ask other guests to leave, and if they wanted to sit with someone they should have made reservations together. But there's no harm in asking. I also think it was fine for your friend to deny her. It sounds like everything went fine, no one did anything wrong, and I'm not sure why you made this thread.

Despite how it's stated in OP I doubt she just asked his table to leave, that's not how polite conversation with strangers goes down. I'm willing to bet it went some thing lke this

>woman: excuse are you about to leave? just wondering because we were hoping to sit next this couple who were just seated by you.

OP can come in and correct me if she was actually more forceful but I have a feeling he made this thread just to watch some shit fly.

as is saying there is no harm in asking and there should be no harm in denying, however based on the circumstances it sounds like one of his friends decided it was time for more food when the woman made her query. From that I can only infer that his "spontaneous' choice was made for the purpose of denying her, which is kind of a shitty more on his part.

>he lives in a 3rd world country where tipping is required

I think after 2 hours if they have finished eating and clearly haven't ordered anything for a while it might be okay to politely ask. But after one hour? Nigga

If I go to a restaurant that requires reservations, why the fuck would I be in and out in an hour? I'd want to soak up the ambience, enjoy the food, have a nice chat rtc.

lol once we had a million top come in an dey ordered theire shit an wer outta there in like 3 minutes yo lmao so it 2 minds me of dis story

If some random woman came up to my table and asked me to leave because they wanted to sit next to their friends I would just tell them to kindly piss off.
Then call them racist.

>woman comes up to us

this woman was not an employee of the restaurant, I assume.

fuck them for asking, it's your table. kudos to your friend.

This situation was about the struggle for power dynamics.

-Your party is within your full right to sit and finish your meal (pretty much done is not exactly done) and enjoy your post-meal conversations. That's an important part of get togethers, to sit together and enjoy each other's company. Your friend was more than likely irked by being asked to cut the good times short by this woman. Some people would oblige, others would take advantage of the situation and stay longer only to prove a point. I guess you know what happened here.

- The woman was acting in her selfish interest by asking you to leave, and she justified her rude behavior by thinking she is only a question away from getting what she wants. However, it does not mean she will get what she wants as she found out.

Verdict:
I find the woman guilty of being selfish and impolite.

This is why I open carry.

>ITT nobody knows how reservations work.

Hi. So, restaurants, especially higher end ones, have figured this out you see.

There is a start and an end to table service and the first wave of service is booked completely full if possible. every table can be filled at say, 6PM. lets say 15 tables. after that, tables are booked with significant overhead let free for precisely this occasion. you might take 5 reservations for 7, ten for 8, 7 for 9 and so on. tables that stay over an hour will be thus accounted for and free space will almost always be available within 5-10 minutes of the booking time. It's the table captain or hostess' job to assess which tables are likely to linger and which ones aren't and get all of them turned over in order to maximize seating and manage any conflicts.

popular restaurants will actually overbook or book through in order to create scarcity and they WANT people to be waiting, it increases the cachet while the place is hot.

In OP's case, it was just a dumb customer that should have gone to the table captain or hostess and they would have almost certainly have known exactly how long for a new table to open up, and OP couldn't have closed the joint out and it wouldn't have mattered.

you see, running front of house is a delicate and many-headed operation with a lot of managerial and operational skill needed to maximize service revenues and keep everyone happy and spending money. It's not something cooks are really capable of understanding or doing, it's too hard for the blue collar types to have that kind of high level observation-action-reaction ability

Huh?

tl;dr

haha lol yo minds me the hosts at ma resturanch lmao see theys lets the teenage hosts do alls the seating and reservs lol i member dis cus the front of hose hangs out an fills catsup bottles lmao

polite sage

this is not amusing or "ironic" my dude. it's kind of boring. just sage in here to let you know

That woman was in the wrong. Asking a group of people to leave (who haven't finished eating, drinking and talking) is pretty fucking rude. Would you walk up to someone eating at a restaurant and ask them to leave so you can have unexpected seating rearrangements tailored to you and your friends? What kind of self-entitled asshole does that? Fuck that shit. The waiters deserve a medal for apologizing for her.

Yeah, but the woman in question was still wrong. A normal person would have asked the waiter if their two parties could be seated together, and would have been told something like: sure, we can do that for you in 15 minutes or whatever. Rude as fuck.

Just because a party is done eating the main meal doesn't mean you can kick them out, especially if they made a reservation. You should expect a party of 9 to take a long time, usually big groups are having some sort of little event.

What this guy is saying is that you didn't understand the OP. The OP's situation is that another customer came up and asked a party of nine to leave so her friends' table could be adjacent to hers. The servers apologized for this rude-ass woman after the fact.

nobody was in the wrong. they asked politely and you declined politely. everything about that is fine.

You sound like an unbelievable moron.
Then again that's usually the case with such rampant narcissists.

This is fucking hilarious user. The funniest part is that you seem to actually believe it...

>Its actually hard to book out the first sitting and then leave a margin for the second

Priceless...

Your reading comprehension still sucks.

Go back and read the OP. you don't have to post again just to apologize when you realize your mistake.

Thank you user for talking some sense into this thread. I don't have the energy to enter this debate but you handled it well on your own.

Was your reservation specifically for 7:30 to 8:30? If not then you get the table as long as you need. Fuck the restaurant for overbooking.

Have you ever worked a blue collar job?

I don't understand what that has to do with anything, it's an fairly obvious observation

In Québec even a low class restaurant like st-hubert will let their costumers stay even if its 2 am and the restaurant was suppose to close at midnight.

>doubled existing tip

Jesus christ how fucking beta can you be? Were you really upset that you might have hurt the feelings of some poor wageslave whore?

0/10 get the fuck out of here and hit the gym.

>>/r9k/

Women customer still in the wrong you douche hat. Do you even understand social norms? She basically said "you would be doing us a favor if you left" and any other action would be considered rude to them. Dumb cunt should just wait her turn or reserve a table of 4 instead of two tables of two.

Any answer than the women being out of line is pure white knighting. You ask a server if there is any possible way to seat the 4 of them together, if not, that's it. You sit seoerate. You don't just approach a stranger and request that they immediately leave the establishment. Jesus fuck you guys.

They should have reserved a table for 4. They were rude asking you to leave, your friend sounds like a cool dude.

You're in the wrong for doubling your tip just because of some uppity cunt

I'd probably have done the same as your friend and I sincerely hope he didn't even want dessert and was just trying to piss her off

>You don't just approach a stranger and request that they immediately leave the establishment. Jesus fuck you guys.
This, this, this. Doesn't matter how politely or softly she asked, she still interrupted their group and made it clear they would be inconveniencing her by staying. Anyone saying otherwise is beta as fucking fuck. OP's friend handled it correctly.

Tbh I'm surpsised your friend didn't just tell her to fuck off