Just made some hummus (not my image) using a recipe online, and it turned out tasting VERY strongly of lemon juice...

Just made some hummus (not my image) using a recipe online, and it turned out tasting VERY strongly of lemon juice. It's not bad, but I'm not getting much more from it.
Decided to look into it, and the amount of lemon juice fluctuates drastically from recipe to recipe, like from one teaspoon to 1/4 cup per 15oz of chickpeas.

Does anyone have a decent recipe for hummus? I'm sure I could tweak the recipe myself to get something decent, but having a better starting point might help.

So use less lemon juice

Maybe use less lemon?

>can somebody predict exactly how much lemon juice to use in this recipe that ive failed to provide?
>It tasted VERY strongly of lemon, should I add more lemon? Would that solve the problem?

Are you fucking stupid or something?

Relying on recipes is generally not a great idea outside of baking other than to get a general idea and ingredients list. Do things to taste, instead.

It really is just personal taste. The basics, of course are salt, garlic, tahini, lemon juice and olive oil. Obviously, use less lemon juice. If you thought it bland, try using a little more garlic and tahini.

Also, I use dry chickpeas cooked myself rather than canned because I think they have more flavor.

>not my image
wow i would have never guesses, i totally thought you have a hummus factory in your house. moron.

That's a close-up of a food processor.

See Start with the base and taste as you go...don't just pour ingredients in. Always taste as you go...get to know what you're cooking.

Add water into the hummus while blending, until thin and smooth; the lemony hummus is already acidic, to proceed directly to defatting by adding a volume of xylene equal to about 1/3 of the volume of the hummus solution; shake gently to avoid emulsification, then let it sit until it separates into layers; siphon off and discard the top two layers (the top solvent and middle fatty layers).

With the remaining solution, add lye until a pH of about 10 is achieved. Briskly add in the same ratio of xylene as before and follow the same process, which yields two layers: siphon off the top layer (containing xylene) and save, discarding the rest (or repeating the process with the bottom layer up to twice).

Add citric acid/water solution to the remaining xylene solution until, after you let it separate, the water layer comes mildly acidic; pour the water into a wide dish, and allow it to evaporate at room temperature.

After evaporating, you should be left with tiny crystals of the hummus alkaloids, fit for either direct consumption (e.g., sprinkle over some flavorful grilled portobello mushrooms), or to be re-cooked with baking soda to re-form freebase humus alkaloids which can then be vaporized in a light bulb and placed under a lid on top of a chicken hindquarter in order to infuse it with the essence of the alkaloids, in such a form as to easily cross the blood-brain barrier and infiltrate your dopamine receptors with Lebanese goodness.

>use fresh lemon juice
>add smoked paprika
>add more cumin
>add more garlic
>whip your tahini with the lemon juice before you add anyhting else

>1/4 cup tahini
>1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
>2 tsp cumin
>2 tbsp olive oil
>3/4 tsp smoked paprika
>3 cloves minced garlic
>15 ounce can chickpeas drained of disguisting juice
>water as needed for desired consistency

Whip tahini and lemon juice, add in spices, oil and garlic, blend. Add in chickpeas. Add water until smooth or leave chunky.

>more flavor
>no cayenne
Pull the pencil out of your ear.

that's a single serving of hummus in the picture. Do fuckers on Veeky Forums just look for things to insult people for? You people are worse than /mu/ and that's saying a lot.

WTF i hate hummus now

I've honestly never used a recipe. I start with the amount of chickpeas I want to use then add each ingredient and slowly taste it until it's perfect. And the amount of lemon juice is definitely the most personal of choices.

d-did you just acid base extract hummus user...

humus is one of those things where you basically start with a traditional middle eastern recipe and then tweak it to suit your tastes as many factors can change the flavour of the final result. Your lemons can be more or less sharp, your chick peas will taste different to what variety they are and how you cooked them, even your tahini will differ depending on country of origin.

Taste and adapt to what you have, OP.

How else do you distill the flavors of hummus?

>tfw D in orgo

Don't forget fresh parsley!!

Most commercial hummus uses citric acid instead of lemon juice, so it has no lemon flavor at all. If you're used to storebought hummus with no lemon flavor homemade will taste distinctively lemony even if you don't go crazy with the lemon juice.

A/B extractions are pretty simple, I never went to college but I know the process due to being a drug nerd.