Have any of you made donuts before...

Have any of you made donuts before? Any ideas for crazy combinations of dough/topping/frosting that would bring them to another level?

>$13 and $15 donuts...

Just how amazing are these? I mean, they look bigger than my hand, and prolly have the calorie content of two meals combined, but are they worth it?

I make donuts regularly but I absolutely despise frosting...

At the basic level they're just deep fried dough that's leavened and sweetened right after, right?

A combination of any sugar and spices that sound good I guess: ground ginger, cinnamon, a small mount of anise extract.

And of course there's chocolate.

These are $1 donunts (korean won not japanese yen)

>calorie content
>are they worth it?

If you only eat them on occasion and you get plenty of non-sedentary activity, I'd say so.

As long as you don't binge.

That's wan, not yen. 1000 wan is ≈ $1US, IIRC.
Lemme look it up. Yeah. I was about right: 1168 wan ≈ $1. So the donuts are about a buck each, which is reasonable.

We eat doughnuts on Father's Day (19th March), for some reason. I don't know the reason for this tradition.
Ours are made from a yeast-risen, potato-based dough flavoured with lemon zest similar to brioche but with potato in it. They're dusted in granulated sugar once out of the oil.

Damn, I learned something.
That DOES sound good.

I wonder if illinois has the same selection of mister donuts as the ones in japan

That sounds pretty great. Do you have the recipe by any chance?

If you're going to have donuts might as well enjoy it. Just eat less the day before, then stuff your face.

Krispy Kreme >>> Mister Donuts >>>>>> Dunkin Donuts

panaino

I make donuts for a living at a local grocery store.

Depends on what you consider crazy. Stuff like Bavarian Bismarcks iced with Maple Icing and then dipped in Bacon Bits are kinda mainstream nowadays.

Where I live you only get to have something remotely as creative once a year and drive for an hour to get it, so I'm trying to learn how to make them myself.

Any tips you could share for donut novices?

I once made a spanish style churro doughnut with dulche de leche and pork crackling.

9.5/10, it was a bit greasy.

Here's a good recipe I make when I want donuts. They're similar in texture to a really good donut shop glazed style.

2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
1⁄4 cup water (105-115)
1 1⁄4 cups lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1⁄3 cup butter (melted)
5 cups all-purpose flour
canola oil for frying

Add yeast to lukewarm water. Proof 15 minutes. Mix dry ingredients in stand mixer bowl and add liquids. Mix and knead for 5 minutes scraping sides of bowl (doughy is sticky but resist urge to add much more flour.) Let rise 1 hour. Roll out to 1/2" thick and cut out doughuts. Place on lightly oiled cookie sheet. Cover and rise for 45 minutes. Heat deep frying oil to 350F. Gently slide doughnuts into oil and fry until golden @1 minute per side. Top with powdered sugar, glaze or whatever.

a simple chocolate crueler

Any love for beignets in this thread? I can also dig me a good sopapilla.

There is no bad fried bread.

>rum

>donut suzette (grand marnier, orange, sugar,...)

>plain donuts, cut, with brown stock and cheese curds

>filled with flambéed bananas

>add passion fruit flavour to the dough

>donut with mac & cheese

there you go, 6 new donuts.