Will doing a masters in creative writing make me a better writer?

Will doing a masters in creative writing make me a better writer?

I would presume so

One would hope.

Depends where you go, who you work with how much you try.

It will actually make you a worse writer.

Up for debate.

Yes, but it will also waste a couple years of your life, put you tens of thousands of bucks in debt, and squeeze out any individuality you have as a writer. Have the diligence to write a lot by yourself and the taste to know when something is bad and you should cut it, and you will have no need of an MFA.

It will help you network and get published.

>individuality
Yeah, he should just stay on Veeky Forums and read the exact same books as the rest of this cancerous hivemind you lot have going on.

take some LSD if you want to be a better writer

It's like a placebo

Did Kafka needed a master in creative writing? Check mate.

Oh it shows, Franz.

It would make you more unemployable and make you waste a lot of money

Confirmed non university educated dinguses

confirmed defrauded faggot
mfa writers are shit
writers should start in different professions

why not get a degree in something employable while still writing passionately during non-work hours?

"MFA"? Tends to be derogatory around here.
Name one good writer that came out of it?

You should consider not being on Veeky Forums at all if you want to be a good writer, first of all OP.

It doesn't seem like very many of the 'best' writers went to MFA programs. University is helpful for various reasons, but as somebody who has been researching MFA programs for a different medium since I started undergrad, I get the feeling that a lot of these places are circlejerks that encourage everyone to do more or less the same things. A lot of the young, MFA graduate fiction I've read has been very insubstantial and purple prosey. I think the best thing you can really do is follow your own heart and read a lot of literary history and criticism, and of course seek out authors from whom you can borrow various things.

Implying kaffka was anygood

Man, I really don't know. On the one hand, I don't really see how it could hurt. You're getting lots of feedback on your craft, and practicing it at a near-constant rate so that by the time you graduate, you'll probably have experience with the good habits you need to improve and maintain your skills from a technical standpoint.

But this is true, too: . If you have brilliant natural talent and a passion for it, then who fucking knows.

Absolutely awful. I'm in the same position, OP.

Veeky Forums doesn't think anyone living is good.

I looked up the nominees for the Pulitzer Prize for fiction for the past 5 years. 9 out of the 16 have an MFA.

>Pulitzer Prize
But that is not a good thing

Says the guy posting on Veeky Forums

MFAs are insanely expensive and probably not worth it unless you are already wealthy

the only thing is what you leave on the page everything else is 'yes or no'

Cringe

Please share with us where you find quality book suggestions?

This whole conversation is shit. If you have the ability and want to produce a thesis, then do it. You should be coming here to talk about Beckett and stop looking for verification for things you assume you want.

You create a thesis in creative writing?

>Veeky Forums doesn't think anyone living is good.
bullshit

No.

But all the debt and wasted years of life will surely serve as stimulus for you to spend nights standing writing.