I apologize profusely that the following post will be /x/ as fuck but I'm not trying to prove ghosts or anything...

I apologize profusely that the following post will be /x/ as fuck but I'm not trying to prove ghosts or anything, I need advice from fellow scientists as to what to do when you don't believe in ghosts at all (obviously) yet have an experience that you just cannot explain. I'm sure someone else here must know this feel. it's very conflicting.

>Spend night at a friend's house
>Come back 5am, go to bed
>Wake up entire family is in kitchen arguing loudly
>Ask wtf is going on they say that the front door slammed open and woke the whole house up at about 4am
>I'm like okay clearly somebody forgot to close the door and the wind blew it open
>They all say nope they all ran out of their rooms immediately after to check and the door was locked, both the hub lock and the deadbolt
>I'm the rational one so I now dismiss this as they were all hearing something unrelated outside maybe a car accident
>I go to check the door, the inside handle is completely smashed in and there's a perfect imprint of said handle in the hallway wall
>They were telling the truth, the door blasted open so hard that it smashed a dent into the wall
>Wtf
So yeah any rational ideas on how the hell the door blasted open with explosive force, closed and re-locked both bolts?

It gets weirder
>Go to bed a few nights later
>Hear the front door unlock and creak open
>Didn't hear it close
>About a minute later hear mum go into hallway and light come on
>Get up and go there as well
>She asked me if I heard that
>I say yeah
>Door is locked, both bolts
The ONLY explanation I can come up with is that somebody broke in but there are three problems 1) Both times family members rushed to the door within a minute of the incident, How can you break a door open and lock it back in that time? 2) Both times nobody ever heard footsteps 3) I lived in a tiny as fuck council flat pic related is the layout, all bedrooms are literally within 15 feet of the front door, nowhere for a burglar to hide. Help.

>I'm the rational one so I now dismiss
Keep tell yourself that, you braindead degenerate. Talking yourself up doesn't make it so.

>argueing about how they heard the door slam open
Thats how i know you are lying. You got too specific too fast, if the noise woke them up likely nobody would have known what the fuck the noise was from. They especially would not be aware of which direction the door was traveling when it made the noise. You live in an apartment, there was likely someone next door or above/below you that slammed their door and you heard it. The mark in the wall is probably from someone in your apartment not wanting to admit to it.

There are plenty of reasonable explanations, you just like to jump to the supernatural because you belong in

>They all say nope they all ran out of their rooms immediately after to check and the door was locked
How do you know one them wasn't sleep walking, slammed the door open, and then closed and bolted the door. As first family to come down after the loud noise arrived they came to and were equally surprised at what they saw, and possibly heard, as the arriving family member. Perhaps they came to and realized they were sleep walking and slamming doors but lied about what happen. How do you know one of your family members isn't just fucking with you for amusement?

I would definitely mess with Mr. Rational here.

He's like that dumb kid that thinks he's smarter than everyone else simply because he consistently starts 2 steps behind everyone else, rarely catches up, and is arrogant and lacks theory of mind to such an extent they refuse to acknowledge the implications of that whole process.

Hence, "braindead degenerate". I certainly hope you're trolling.

Why the fuck is your house shaped like a fork

I'm not OP and I didn't even read his shitty post, but I came here with an answer to that. Pic related, maybe? Children don't understand buildings too well.

Why the hostile response trying to second guess me like some euphoric dickhead? Not only do I not believe in ghosts I don't believe in "If you can't explain something just ignore it" That's unbelievably unscientific. I tell you a funny story, When I moved into my new flat I kept seeing things moved around when I came home. Everyone laughed it off, said I was just stressed and should ignore it and I did because things can't move around right? Guess what? I got burgled a few days later. Looks like they were coming in and out through a weak back door to check out the place beforehand. Moral of that story is don't ignore evidence just becase the book tells you so. Clearly someone was opening the door god knows why seeing as nothing was taken but I want to know how the fuck they pulled it off. Family thinks it's a ghost and while I don't believe that it's against my principles to simply dismiss them without an explanation.

I was gonna get mad at you for being pointlessly hostile as the guy above but you know you raise a good point, How did they know it slammed open and not closed? Maybe I didn't remember right, I'll ask them and get back to you on that one
>there was likely someone next door or above/below you that slammed their door and you heard it
It was our door the mark was in the wall as I said
>The mark in the wall is probably from someone in your apartment not wanting to admit to it.
I would believe that maybe it was an old mark that I coincidentally found at that point however the handle was smashed in, I'd have certainly noticed that when I left earlier.
>There are plenty of reasonable explanations, you just like to jump to the supernatural because you belong in /x/
This is precisely why /x/ exists. Say some pleb came her saying he thought it was a ghost, instead of calmly explaining things you just tell him to fuck off. Hence his false beliefs are not disproven and he continues them forever more on the echo chamber that is /x/.

In short if I am to tell them that their ghost beliefs are bullshit they at least deserve an explanation. This is called not being pompous.

Set up a camera in the room facing the door, tell no one you're doing it. Only solution.

>I don't believe in "If you can't explain something just ignore it"
Your actions say otherwise.
:^)

As to your other story, refer to your own words:
>I now dismiss this as
You are exactly what you dislike. An inconsistent, arbitrary, self deluding, sloppy mess that overassumes and makes mistakes.

Absolutely disgusting. You're dismissed, overgrown infant.

That is a theory, you see our cousins were staying with us at the time, they were in the living room. We are not that close to them, I have thought maybe it was one of them fucking around.
1970s council planning

Fucking hell the assburgers on this site
I'm gonna BTFO this stupid argument anyway
I dismissed it as [explanation]. So I did give an initial explanation true to my philosophy.

>I assumed it was something or other, but never verified and completely ignored potential sources of error
>My core epistemological and ontological foundations are just fine, I'm not arrogant and myopic, constantly bullshitting myself into thinking I'm better than I really am!
:^)

welcome to Veeky Forums, where trolling comes first and anything else is a distant second. story seems strange user, probably one of your cousins fucking with everyone. or both of them. they'll never admit it, your explanations will never work.

It's funny that when I pointed out all the problems in the likely assumptions I was accused of "jumping to ghosts". So you've kind of told me what I was telling you that I was doing and maybe now you will realize that you had laughed at me for doing this which you are now mysteriously accusing me of not doing.

OP, getting angy and wunning away just shows us that you're a child. Go to your room. Here's a map. Or you could explain why a non-paranormal explanation is impossible, "fellow scientist"

Hey look, you knob cobbling fuckhead, I'm not going to tell you again. You're an irrational delusional dickhead, you behave like an idiot from a horror movie, and you're deficient to the point of being completely unaware of this.

Now get the FUCK off this board that I OCCASIONALLY visit and have NO emotional attachment to.

Dayum, it's almost like there aren't ghosts in that sensible explanation. Oh wait, there aren't

Is there damage to the frame of the door? Specifically around the locks or the doorknob?

>probably one of your cousins fucking with everyone
I agree, I don't trust those two.

Hopefully the autists will go away and this will become a discussion on what causes ghostly phenomenon. Not good that we dismiss it as "hurr retards" firstly because too many people report these things and secondly I've had quite a few of these experiences myself and when you experience it yourself you're not so quick to brush it off. I saw a "ghost" once, big shadowy thing, stared at it for five whole minutes it didn't move an inch. I can stay rational and say I hallucinated due to no sleep but after that experience I completely 100% understand why someone else would say it was a ghost. Hallucinations, noises they fuck with your mind, it's not fair to laugh at people who report this as retards.

The doorknob was smashed in but no there was no damage on the frame. No footprints on the door from a kicking either.

There are two possibilites:

A) you are lying through your teeth

B) you left out information or are remembering the situation incorrectly

>A) you are lying through your teeth
Why would I do that? If you want to bait Veeky Forums into giving you 300 replies, a thread about "ghosts" isn't the best choice for that.]
>B) you left out information or are remembering the situation incorrectly
Not me amigo but perhaps my family members did. A key part is the time taken for them to get to the door because that's the time the suspect had to fuck with it. I wasn't there so....
The second incident I was there and I remember it clearly. The weird part is that I didn't hear the door close back and lock or any footsteps but that doesn't neccesarily mean those sounds weren't there.

>'fellow scientists'
>parents room
>my room
>ghost story

so you finished your undergrad and still live with your folks?

i'm calling /kid/ on this one

Human memory is absolute shit, you can find many psychological studies on this. And they are directly after an incident not however long it has been for you.

It is likely bad memory from you and/or your family.

My bet is that someone in the house accidentally opened the door to heavily after trying to sneak in or out and lied about it.

Also i sincerely doubt they got up as quickly as they claim.

OP here, I'm going to bed, I'll leave you with this "ghost" story which has got to be my weirdest one
>Cycling on the edge of the city at 10pm
>Stop off at a village petrol station for sustenance
>Get back on my bike reach for the water bottle
>Swear I heard someone scream what sounded like "AGUAAAAAA" some distance behind me
>Look around place is deserted
>I think to myself as I'm cycling "huh that's weird, sounded like Spanish for water just as I was about to drink water"
>Tell some ghost believer the story
>They say what if it was actually Latin and it was a Roman ghost begging for your water
>I'm like "lmao what are you smoking? Really? Roman ghosts in the London borough of fucking Bromley?" But humour his ideas by googling the village
>Literally the first thing on it's Wikipedia
>"A Roman villa was excavated here in 1969"
So likely explanation is that I was just hearing things but isn't it cool how all these coincidences and extrapolations come together to make such a convincing "ghost story"?

Happened years ago, You missed the part where I said "I moved into my new flat"
You tried to be a smartass and now you look stupid.
I'm now interested in the psychology of so-called paranormal experiences. Any recommendations on things to read? Like how human perception and memory loss can warp things to such an extent that you fully believe you met Henry VIII despite being perfectly sane.

Why would you even bring ghosts up dude

My word, what will the other anons think ?! :'(

Ok OP, i'll contribute; I had a 'paranormal' experience; i was scattered out after an acid binge that went a little too long in retrospect

laying there in that kind of fucked up half sleep coma type deal, i dont know for how long

i shit you not, watched myself sleeping from the top corner of the room, while speaking to a shining white winged human who was sitting at the edge of my bed.

I didnt know it was me, I didnt know what 'me' was, it was like someone elses dream

Anyway the anti-climax it; it was this angel dude sitting at the edge of my bed just asking me how everything was going, super chill, asking if i needed help with anything just talking to me as a friend, then i woke up and realized i had been viewing this whole discourse, and it was me in the bed murmuring shit like "im fiiiine, quit stressing dude, im just really tired right now"

Wasn't convinced I had talked to an angel; more likely the LSD purging the last of my christian upbringing from the back of my mind.

Still though - if things like that WERE real, that would have to be pretty fucking close i think.

I should note that this occurred after the one and only really insane out of body experience I have had - did i come back from the brink of insanity or something user ? was that basically my psyche about to crumble ?