Veeky Forums, I am completely overwhelmed with empathy for all humankind after having read Tolstoys War and Peave...

Veeky Forums, I am completely overwhelmed with empathy for all humankind after having read Tolstoys War and Peave. I've never felt this way before Anons, I'm so amazed.

What do I even read after this?

a decent translation, or preferrably in russian.

then anna karenina

tolstoi a hack
read dosto

Tolstoy, Leo. A favorite between the ages of 10 and 15, and thereafter. Read complete works between 14 and 15. Nobody takes his utilitarian moralism seriously. A genius.

Dislike him. A cheap sensationalist, clumsy and vulgar. A prophet, a claptrap journalist and a slapdash comedian. Some of his scenes are extraordinarily amusing. Nobody takes his reactionary journalism seriously.

I have and I loved Crime and Punishment, but it just seems like an introduction now compared to this masterpiece.

This is the green pill, user. The antidote. Take it. Your heart will be filled with warmth.

wtf is going on in this post
0/10 for terrible prose

>Some of his scenes are extraordinarily amusing
Have to agree with Nabokov on this. More than once I found myself laughing out loud when reading Dostoevsky.

>terrible prose

If this isn't bait please kill yourself

Daily remainder that Nabokov, even in his reviewing of others' literature, was an unreliable narrator

Which translation did you read? I read Garnett's during my adolescence and it wasn't nearly as impactful as I had experienced

>it wasn't nearly as impactful as I had experienced
What does this even *mean*?

>terrible prose

Nabokov didn't say that about Joyce. He just didn't like FW because it was too avant-garde for him.

was kinda just making a meme of joyce being called out for terrible prose in FW and Ulysses

is maude the best translation?

yes

dostoe and tolstoi are literal and easy to translate, hence the ubiquity of translations done by total dolty mark rubes (looking at you P&V).

if you want real russian hours, then read pushkin and bulgakov. near impossible to translate bc they are v idiosyncratic and highly referential to russian culture/language of the time.
they write like poets.
the former write like reporters.

More Tolstoy

maybe some Chekhov

"The Student" is a nice one by Chekhov

i found The Duel boring as death. do i just not like chekov or is the student better?

What is objectively the best translation? I hope it's Maude because I want the hardcover boxed set.

I would read either the Maudes or P&V. If you really like it and plan in a re-read, go for both.

Something fun.

i will read P&V translation because it has the best cover (which is also the one on the meme chart)