Do you think Engels was ever jealous that he never got an -ism and Marx got all the credit?

Do you think Engels was ever jealous that he never got an -ism and Marx got all the credit?

Other urls found in this thread:

viewpointmag.com/2013/10/21/between-marx-marxism-and-marxisms-ways-of-reading-marxs-theory/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

he was a cuck

Engels was the best bro an author could only dream about and he even took care of his family long after Marx' death. Genuinely a good friend. Also he was aware that Marx was the greater thinker and tried to support him as best as he could. Read their letters, they are pretty interesting and also hilariously funny every once in a while.

Do you think Engels would have been disappointed that this was the best thing he ever managed to produce?

capitalist piggie spotted

I sometimes wonder if he had a supernatural dream of his most reproduced work in the future and that's want made him make the attack on Stirner so massive.

Imagine all the Stirner meme variations just flying around swamping everything else you'd ever done.

He had a nice beard, i don't think he cared for anything else.

what is Marxism

google it

>he can't explain it, but he posts on Veeky Forums

can you elaborate on how he attacked stirner? what about stirner or stirner's philosophy did he find so unacceptable?

i understand that marxist ideals of a common/communal good are in stark contrast with individualist egotism but i want to know if that was the crux of their rivalry or if he had any deeper criticism of stirner? how did he attack stirner's egotism?

He was the opposite actually

Damn Engels aged well desu

Unrelated but I don't want to make a new thread.

In which order should I read the following books:

The Phenomenology of Spirit
The Wealth of Nations
Capital

Chronologically

Smith would be the easiest to read first but you'll misinterpret him for sure without understanding the context he worth WON in. You're not going to get Hegel if you have to ask this... read Marx before you read Hegel then the Young Hegalians and work back towards Hegel.

>You're not going to get Hegel if you have to ask this

I'm afraid I'm never going to get Hegel. I've spent the last year reading philosophy almost exclusively just so I have a semblance of a chance of understanding him when I muster up the courage.

Any reccs for supplementary reading of Smith? I thought WON was pretty fundamental, nitty gritty stuff that doesn't need to be contextualised?

hory shit dude. is hegel that difficult? I feel sad because I am a casual who likes picking up philosophical works now and then and was hoping to read schopenhauer and nietzsche etc some day as they require a prerequisite reading of hegel. i've heard hegel is important as fuck.

Schopenhauer's essays and aphorisms are incredibly easy to read. The only background reading you might need for the world as will and representation (though I haven't read it myself I must say) is Plato and Kant.

Nietzsche is a fairly radical philosopher and is careful to mask his influences so it shouldn't be necessary to read Hegel beforehand since he won't make any direct allusions to him. However he is routinely misinterpreted. You should by any account be okay to read Thus Spoke Zarathustra easily.

That said, one thing I've learnt this year is that you can't really do philosophy as a casual. It's go Hegel or go home.

Logik is more important for Kapital than Phämomenologie.
>the context he worth WON in
u wut

WoN needs ToMS beforehand. There's also a book of notes on Smith's lectures that turned up a few decades back. Minimum will be something like Hume and Locke. Fable of the Bees is very useful too (although for some reason WoN gets covered badly for most in undergrad and FotB is stuck in postgrad).

The key to understanding who Smith is writing against (the mercantilists) is looking at who Locke writes against (guys like Robert Filmer). To understand the project of WoN tho, I think you want someone like Vico or Toynbee or any of that cyclical history ilk. A big part of why he wrote it is thought to be to answer the questions of "why did the ancient world fall and what can we do differently to not have the same fate".

Christ, I only really intended Smith to be a stepping stone on my path to Marx, but every stepping stone seems to have another twenty sub-stepping stones and so on ad infinitum. I'll probably just do some quick contextual reading online for now because I want to read him before university. Thanks for the advice, user

>All these people who seriously consider wasting time on Hegel

Meanwhile, I'll get the upper hand by reading the true heir to Kant.

Go to bed, Schopenhauer

Part of Hegel's difficulty comes from trying to read him rather than about him.

His core theories may be hard but just use secondary sources and its not that hard to understand enough. His writing is very hard, though, so avoid that unless you're already pretty gud.

That said I don't have any proper recommendations for those secondary sources in English. Google should help.
You could even read fucking Zizek, he is quite light and fun and you'll come out with bits of knowledge. Marxism is a decent gateway into understanding Hegels dialectics, too, so if you've read any of that it'll help.

Most of those contextual ones are quite short. FotB is a pamphlet, the really important bits of Hume for Smith are also quite small (it's his water pouring economic theory). Theory of Moral Sentiments is considerably shorter than Wealth of Nations. Locke's about the biggest one and he's super important if you're moving on to Marx anyway, in many ways more important than Smith's. He starts the whole labour theory of property for example.

I opened this thread up with the expectation that this train of thought would play itself out just exactly as it just did, but the latter poster with his meme-image has missed the point: Engels was in fact very much a cuck to Marx in the /intellectual sense/, which is what is actually the subject of OP's query, in that he ultimately went along with Marx's script and devoted the rest of his life to upholding it and advancing it, to the point of posthumously completing Marx's Capital (The Trilogy, sort of!) in his own stand-alone name. It was around the time that they were preparing the Manifesto, at that important age of circa-30 when your deep thought about the world will guide you through the rest of your life, that the two men basically accepted to go with the Marxian program.

Of course Engels must have had his jealousies, as any man would. But he subsumed this into spreading the Marx meme. A true intellectual cuck. The First Post is in fact the Best Post, as per usual (though not always-sometimes an exception proves the rule of this meme, which holds good here).

>Schopenhauer's essays and aphorisms are incredibly easy to read.
This. Schopenhauer has a great writing style, if a bit too spiteful at times. But at least it's humane and he actually cares enough to try to explain his thoughts, not to cover them with heaps of autistic rambling like classic german philosophers.

His beard looks like a mr. potatohead wig beard that isn't fit on just right

he did get an ism: Dialectical materialism. Marxism-leninism.

It's a perversion of Marx's historical materialism (which is arguably a perversion of Hegel's dialectical idealism)

I would also add philosophy of history for context for capital

Marxism Leninism is stalinisn

read this
viewpointmag.com/2013/10/21/between-marx-marxism-and-marxisms-ways-of-reading-marxs-theory/
engels was a fuck up though

Marx was just a much smarter guy and Engels knew this. While Marx was basically the antisocial wizard poring over the entire contents of the British Library for months at a time, Engels was the activist, writing about dozens of progressive causes not always immediately related to class struggle.

Engels admired Marx's rigor of analysis and helped propose explanations for patterns and phenomena that Marx revealed, especially in regards to the way we understand capitalism. He was a little bit like Zizek, all philosophy and no economics, writing some pretty interesting stuff on religion, marriage, and societal organization.

These days, Engels isn't as widely read as Gramsci, Lukacs, or so many other Marxist philosophers, but he influenced all of them and was profoundly radical for the time.

Why didn't he take care of Marx's family when Marx's children starved to death because he was too busy researching communism?

>implying starving children are more important then studies
Please

I read Engels entirely supported Marx so he could write. Apparently Marx was a NEET who wrote, smoked, paced, and itched his carbuncles all day.

Well Marx already had a wife and had sex so he clearly didn't care to fully devote himself to his studies.
>marx will never be wizard masterrace

Capitalism killed his children

That really wasn't his aim so, no.

Well stop reading /pol/ info you dumb fuck. Marx was a freelance journalist worked regularly for NYTimes correspondent.

Capitalism broke down his door and strangled his children in their beds? What does capitalism look like? Could you identify it in a police lineup?

your illiterate

how did he even eat with that beard

what the fuck

He wasn't eating sandwiches and tendies, he was a gentlemen who ate properly with cutlery.

>tendies

go back to /r9k/ you dip

Better than anything Marx ever did.

Does your brain function merely as a filter, a certain word is used and your tiny mind puts into into a certain category?

I also wonder if you'll fall for the trick.

Hegel is not worth reading under any circumstance. I'd sooner get a lobotomy and huff gasoline than read Hegel